Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

self timer's light

musical

north-central, US
1050 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
musical Registered since 12th Feb 2010
Thu 18-Nov-10 03:41 PM

Is that a "modeling" light? The light that blinks; can I set the menu to have that NOT blink? It's important since I am trying tonight (my musical event) to be very subtle and not cause people (the band) to look at the camera on it's tripod.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: self timer's light" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Thu 18-Nov-10 03:33 PM

That lamp has two distinct functions: firstly, it blinks while the timer is counting down when the camera is in Self-Timer Mode; secondly, it illuminates in low light to help the camera to focus - the AF-assist feature.

There's nothing you can do about the first, except to not use Self-timer mode

The AF-assist function can be turned off using Custom Setting a9 (see page 290 of the manual).

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9068 posts

#2. "RE: self timer's light" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Thu 18-Nov-10 03:46 PM

Cover it with something like a black cloth.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

musical

north-central, US
1050 posts

#3. "RE: self timer's light" | In response to Reply # 2

musical Registered since 12th Feb 2010
Thu 18-Nov-10 06:17 PM | edited Thu 18-Nov-10 06:19 PM by musical

Oh cool thought-- soft cloth. And I know, duct tape in any color is not ever acceptable. I'll lay a soft strip of cloth over it until I purchase the remote device. Thank you for both thoughts (above.)
There's a whole psychology and social aspect, by the way, to even bringing a camera to work, but that belongs to a different thread and has abstract elements to it. The idea that friends trust a person who wants to take pictures when there is no explicit permission asked for or given. Often people do like what I can do. None of what I do is for pay at any point. The timer light adds an awkward feeling to it all, and that is within the realm of this thread. Expensive gear actually was meant to help it all along. People get more upbeat and the results are much better.
Thanks so very much for your answers.

bob1217

US
311 posts

#4. "RE: self timer's light" | In response to Reply # 3

bob1217 Registered since 31st Jan 2009
Thu 18-Nov-10 07:49 PM

Duct tape and masking tape should definitely be avoided, as you pointed out. But actually, a little patch of gaffer's tape should be ok for covering the light. It's like duct tape -- heavy duty and it stays stuck, but it's very easy to remove and re-apply and best of all it doesn't leave a residue when it's removed. I find gaffers tape really useful for taping release cables out of the way, keeping GPS & remote units in place when hiking, keeping the barrel on my 18-200mm from creeping, taping props in place, taping branches and stems out of the way in outdoor macro work, etc. I keep a small strip of gaffer's tape on the bottom of each lens hood and I have strips of it on my tripod legs, as well as a small re-wound spool of it in each bag, so it's always handy. Just be sure to get some good high quality tape, as some of the cheaper brands will leave residue.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#5. "RE: self timer's light" | In response to Reply # 4

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Thu 18-Nov-10 08:04 PM

>Duct tape and masking tape should definitely be avoided, as
>you pointed out. But actually, a little patch of gaffer's
>tape should be ok for covering the light.

I would agree with that - pro-quality Gaffer tape doesn't leave a residue

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

covrc

Boston, US
375 posts

#6. "RE: self timer's light" | In response to Reply # 5

covrc Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Mar 2004
Thu 18-Nov-10 11:08 PM

Ihave also seen another person use the removeable painters trim tape. I recall it is blue.

A round bandaid would work too.

Your gonna miss 100% of the shots you never take, so keep shooting

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G