Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D700 connection to computer

jonathan T

UK
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jonathan T Registered since 16th Nov 2010
Tue 16-Nov-10 05:56 PM

Hello, I have a question regarding the new Nikon D700 I just bought.

I need to shoot straight to a laptop and can't seem to make it work. On my old D200 there is a section in the setup menu where you have to select "Mass storage" for shooting to memory card, or "PTP" for shooting straight to the computer. There is no such facility on the D700.

If I plug the D700 into my computer it is recognized by the computer (in “Nikon Transfer”) but it doesn’t actually transfer...it just sits and waits in a cue until you click ‘transfer’. I don’t understand why it doesn’t give me the option to download straight to the computer, and view them as I go. Is it the software, or have I got to select something in the camera controls first? Maybe I need to buy a new version of 'Nikon Capture Control' perhaps? I’ve trawled through the handbook but so far can’t find anything which explains what is wrong.

I have two days work at the end of this week photographing graduations, and the company for whom I'm free lancing will provide a laptop with their own software, so if it’s the Nikon software which is the problem then it shouldn’t matter... But just to be on the safe side, if any one knows the answer, it would be a great weight off my mind!

Thanks,
Jonathan.

robsb

San Jose, US
14977 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: Nikon D700 connection to computer" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Tue 16-Nov-10 05:41 PM

Jonathan as you found out the D700 does not have a Mass Storage Mode like the D200, I believe because of Live View. If you want to shoot tethered to a Laptop there are other tools,but Nikon's tool is Control Pro. It will not only let you shoot and capture directly to the laptop, but it will also let you set camera controls and also see Live View Images on the laptop before you shoot.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

jonathan T

UK
3 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon D700 connection to computer" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 16-Nov-10 05:53 PM

Aha, so it is a software issue... I'll need to buy the right piece of software then. Would i still need to have the memory card in the camera once it's tethered to a laptop?

Thanks Bob, much appreciated.

Jonathan.

robsb

San Jose, US
14977 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: Nikon D700 connection to computer" | In response to Reply # 2

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Tue 16-Nov-10 11:39 PM

Johathan I don't think so unless you want the images in both places. You would also have to make sure that you haven't set the camera not to take a picture if the card is missing. The Name of the Sw is Capture Control Pro 2 and the latest version is 2.8.0, so if you by the download from Nikon, once you install it, go back and install the updates. It works really well. You will also need to install the free ViewNX2 as in the latest version there is no longer a viewer for captured files and it works with View NX2 instead.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

jonathan T

UK
3 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D700 connection to computer" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 17-Nov-10 08:46 AM

Many thanks Bob, that all makes perfect sense now that i think about it. Bit of a shame that Nikon don't provide the capture software with the camera...but hey ho, at least I know what the problem is now.

Cheers,
Jonathan.

chiefmasterjedi

US
313 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon D700 connection to computer" | In response to Reply # 4

chiefmasterjedi Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2009
Wed 17-Nov-10 10:14 AM

Lightroom 3 will also let you shoot straight to the computer, but it doesn't have the added control of the Nikon software.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.
Visit my web site.

jhpani

Cancun, MX
413 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon D700 connection to computer" | In response to Reply # 0

jhpani Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2007
Wed 17-Nov-10 10:19 AM

Jonathan

actually control pro from nikon has a free 30 day trial.
just make sure you download it and get used to it before actually working on the computer. I have not had the planned time to download it and "play" with it, so I cannot say anything aobut it...

Humberto´s, proud nikonian in Cancun, Mexico

"The important thing is never to stop questioning."~Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."~Yoda

G