Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 in April 2011?

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007
Wed 06-Oct-10 01:37 AM | edited Wed 06-Oct-10 01:39 AM by Ramesses

Hi:

NikonRumors just published that the D800 was listed in Amazon – UK. How reliable is the rumor? I simply do not know:

http://nikonrumors.com

I have no intention of upgrading – more than happy with the D700. In addition, I do not want to start doubling the amount of pixels – very satisfied with the speed of Windows 7 – 64-bit. My coming D7K has more pixels than I care for. With both the D7’s, I have 350,000 actuations combined (175,000 each.) I will upgrade when either one of the cameras stop working. Until then…forget it. I’m done with cameras and lenses for some time to come.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 06-Oct-10 06:41 AM | edited Wed 06-Oct-10 06:41 AM by briantilley

>NikonRumors just published that the D800 was listed
>in Amazon – UK.

In fact, Nikon Rumors reported that a D800 book was listed.

>How reliable is the rumor? I simply do not know...

...and neither does anyone else. That's why it's just a rumour

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Tony_Jeffree

Manchester, UK
2016 posts

#2. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 1

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004
Wed 06-Oct-10 07:08 AM

>In fact, Nikon Rumors reported that a D800 book
>was listed.

...and as I pointed out in a similar thread here:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=664#674

the existence of a listing on Amazon for a *book title* doesn't even guarantee that the book exists, let alone its subject matter. All it shows is that someone took the trouble to register the title against an ISBN number.

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 06-Oct-10 07:41 AM

Good point, Tony

I just locked the thread you linked to, so that if there is a worthwhile discussion to be had, it can be concentrated here.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

#4. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 2

Wed 06-Oct-10 07:59 AM

Hi All:

The book posted on Amazon-UK (I should have been clearer on that) triggered a whole series of “tips” and rumors that are getting a life of their own. After I posted my message, NikonRumors has included other camera models.

NikonRumors has been very accurate in their rumors and predictions, the last year or so when they attribute a certainty % to the rumors. This is just beginning and it could fizzle out, because it has no degree of certainty. However, I posted this message for people that are wondering whether to go FX now or wait for the D800. This is something for them to look into.

As I stated before, I have no interest whatsoever in a possible D800. I just went through a major camera and lens realignment with the D7K, and my new lens lineup; I have all that I need for years to come. In February 2011, I’m taking early retirement. I won’t have the disposable income I have now. However, I’m set.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

DVDMike

Metro Atlanta, US
2225 posts

#5. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 4

DVDMike Registered since 25th Mar 2003
Wed 06-Oct-10 08:10 PM

I've had a D3 for years now. I have had a D2x for even longer. Before that D100 and D2H. So I have become accustomed to shooting for a while at 12MP (D3, D2x, D300, D90). I have also made quite of few 6MP shots with the D100.

Over the summer, I went to Colorado to shoot landscapes and I rented a D3x. Now at 24MP, it has twice the resolution as my 6MP D100. While it has significantly more resolution over my D3, the resolution difference between the two cameras did not and does not blow me away. I think that I would have been fine if I had just shot with my D3 and not bothered with the D3x. (My computer is fast enough where the extra size of the D3x RAW files is insignificant and thus a non-issue for me.)

My point here is that if a D800 is a full frame 24MP camera, I would not run out to get one for the main reason of it having twice the Megapixels of all of my other cameras. Before renting the D3x, I would have seriously considered a 24MP D800 as something that I would really like to have.

robsb

San Jose, US
14823 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#6. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 4

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Wed 06-Oct-10 10:50 PM

Hector, congrats on the retirement. I am not one to change cameras often, but I am on my second DSLR since 2006. Yet I had my F3HP for well over 15 years. I too am in no rush to get another camera. The reason I have a second DSLR is because I wanted to do things my D200 could not do and the D700 filled the bill. I have no desire for video on a still camera, and 12 MP seems just fine to me, so to get me to change the D800 would have to have much more than just more Megapixels and video to entice me in any way.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#7. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 4

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Wed 06-Oct-10 11:28 PM

Hektor, congrats on impending retirement! You will have a lot more shooting time!

Mike, I really appreciate your insights on the various sensors and your experience with them. I have not shot anything greater than 12 megapixels yet. I am more than a little curious about these high megapixel beasts. But I am a high ISO shooter for the great majority of my subjects so the D3S sensor is the one that really gets me going.

Perhaps I shoot more high ISO than most but that drives me to conclude that for my own shooting these new cameras with better high ISO will indeed make a material difference in my results. Thus I am at least for a couple more generation of sensors (and pending diminishing returns) firmly of mind to stay on the camera upgrade treadmill :p

Btw Thom again tackles the nikon camera upgrade topic in today's blog entry.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

cfeather

Kingsville, US
264 posts

#8. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 7

cfeather Registered since 23rd Dec 2005
Thu 07-Oct-10 12:54 AM

Figures there are rumors since the D7000 is for sure now, they got to be buzzing about something rather than shooting with the perfectly fine cameras already out there.

The only body that might sway me at this point would be a D700 upgrade with the D3s sensor. Don't need video as I have a fine HD video camera for that. Don't need more pixels as I rarely sell prints larger than 8X10 and 4X6 seems to be the norm in this economy. If a D800 came out and was 24 mp and loaded with stuff I don't need, I'd probably try to find a D700 before it was discontinued. To me, it is really the near perfect camera. I'm not as enamored with my backup body, the D300, and would like to eventually be shooting two D700s if business ever improves.

24mp just seems like a way to sell more lenses; a lot of the lower end optics won't hold up to brutal resolution like that, I'd guess.

Carl E. Feather
Feather Multimedia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

enesunkie

Buffalo, US
34 posts

#9. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 2

enesunkie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2008
Thu 07-Oct-10 01:19 AM

David Busch commented on NR mirroring your post above. A seller on Amazon is selling a book that was cancelled before he even wrote it ... in USED condition for $242!

Kurt

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

#10. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 07-Oct-10 01:20 AM | edited Thu 07-Oct-10 01:33 AM by Ramesses

Hi Steve:

Thanks and looking forward to it. I’m done with equipment.

I just posted the new rumor for people that were thinking of going to FX but were waiting for news on the D800, first. Now, they have it, sort of.

As I said, I have no need to upgrade to the D800. Why? The D7’s is all I will ever need. The D700 is a very clean camera shooting inside. I do apply Dfine 2 to every inside shot, but in the automatic mode. The little noise that there is, even at ISO 3200, is gone.

I have never used the D3s, therefore I do not know. However, some of the test photos were shot in complete darkness. The only source of lighting was a candle or two. This is what got people going. However, you know the light power of a candle or two, in total darkness? It is huge. In fact, I believe that I can do that with the D700; I came close to it.

We had some hill fires around the city where I live, and took the D700 and my dearly departed 70-200 VR. All the photos were shot in almost total darkness, ISO 3200, and handheld:

http://www.hektorsphotos.com/Events/Rancho-Palos-Verdes-Fires/RPV-Fires-3/780014729_GwuGE-XL.jpg

http://www.hektorsphotos.com/Events/Rancho-Palos-Verdes-Fires/RPV-Fires-13/635427080_cjZFb-XL.jpg

http://www.hektorsphotos.com/Events/Rancho-Palos-Verdes-Fires/RPV-Fires-9/635427448_3KWJL-XL.jpg

Here is the link to all the photos. I was out shooting until almost 2:00 AM :

http://www.hektorsphotos.com/Events/Rancho-Palos-Verdes-Fires/9468993_7WfsR

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

#11. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 07-Oct-10 02:02 AM

Hi Bob:

Thanks. I’m looking forward to it.

I cannot say that the D700 and the D7K will be it, for certain. Technology keeps advancing at gigantic paces. Adobe was talking, in Photokina, about a Plenoptic camera (Plenoptic technology was developed by Adobe and it lets you select which part of the image you want to be in focus.) That will revolutionize photography when and if introduced. Outside of a breakthrough, I certainly do not need more than the D7K and D700. In fact, the video function of the D7K will be lost on me as well as the scenes modes.

I’m very happy with Windows – 64-bit and the PC speed. Cameras with 24 MP+ will cause me more headaches than give me better images – not worth it, imho.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

orftoden

Lakewood, US
196 posts

#12. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 9

orftoden Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2008
Thu 07-Oct-10 02:16 AM

This whole waiting game rumor thing is beginning to get annoying. I like many have been waiting for Nikon to release the successor to the D700 to get in to the full frame realm. Since I shoot mostly landscapes, low light performance is not driving my decision to upgrade. I am more interested in making my current lenses cover more angle while gaining a little more pixels than my D300. What I have been reading, which has been repeated in part in the above posts, is that the D700 might be the best bang for the buck while still achieving similar results to the latest and greatest. It still would be nice if Nikon would pick up the pace and release a successor to the D700 so people in my shoes can make a decision. I would hope that Nikon can come up with something to compete with Cannon's offerings-- most importantly a D800 class camera that is in the 7D price range. I would expect to hear an announcement around 1Q 2011 as Nikon can't ignore the market for this camera class forever.

Tony_Jeffree

Manchester, UK
2016 posts

#14. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 9

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004
Thu 07-Oct-10 04:41 AM

>David Busch commented on NR mirroring your post above. A
>seller on Amazon is selling a book that was cancelled before
>he even wrote it ... in USED condition for $242!

Nice!

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#15. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 12

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 07-Oct-10 11:46 AM

This is why Nikon could do very well for themselves to offer two D700 class cameras; one in a high megapixel version and one in extreme low light. Notwithstanding Thom's comment today about Nikon's lmited capacity to produce both, there really seems to be a market for both. Otherwise they are going to disappoint half their potential market and even a tweener version could disappoint many (and please others).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#16. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 14

AreBee Registered since 27th Apr 2008
Thu 07-Oct-10 08:33 PM

Was reading the other thread prior to being redirected here...

If the D800 has the D3x's 24.5MP sensor then I'll be itching to get my hands on one. Even if the D800 is significantly more expensive than the D700, it surely will be significantly less expensive than the D3x.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

sethultimate

US
8 posts

#17. "RE: D800 in April 2011?" | In response to Reply # 5

sethultimate Registered since 30th Sep 2010
Fri 08-Oct-10 07:58 PM | edited Fri 08-Oct-10 08:04 PM by sethultimate

>

>My point here is that if a D800 is a full frame 24MP camera, I
>would not run out to get one for the main reason of it having
>twice the Megapixels of all of my other cameras. Before
>renting the D3x, I would have seriously considered a 24MP D800
>as something that I would really like to have.

only sport/press pro shooters need small files to file on the spot. never (ever) bought this "more resolution is bad" from a photographer. ever.

I believe that Nikon is doing the right thing for the semi-pro/enthusiasts segment providing their best sensor to the D800. After all sony has it, and it's stabilized too. 5D markII as well (not the stabilization thing because canon (like nikon) want to make more money with the glass)

G