Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

GPS for d700 - your opinions please

zedbadee

Richmond, CA
154 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zedbadee Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Registered since 05th Jun 2007
Fri 10-Sep-10 04:19 PM

Is GPS worth getting or will Nikon (one day) add it to the firmware....Ken

MEMcD

US
31282 posts

#1. "RE: GPS for d700 - your opinions please" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 10-Sep-10 05:28 PM

Hi Ken,

That is a question that only you can answer!
How important is having GPS info in the Exif data worth to you?
Adding GPS capability to existing camera bodies requires upgrading the hardware (adding a GPS unit) and not just a firmware upgrade.
While it may be incorporated into future bodies the only way to add GPS capability to the current bodies is to add a GPS unit and a cord.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

cchoc

Marietta, US
5064 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: GPS for d700 - your opinions please" | In response to Reply # 0

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter Member
Sat 11-Sep-10 11:19 AM

I use an external GPS (Garmin eTrex Hcx) not connected to my camera. I just make sure the times on the GPS and the camera are the same and then use a 3rd party program to match the image date and time to the proper place on the GPS track. I use Geosetter on the PC and Photolinker on the Mac, but there are a number of other programs and plugins that will do the same thing.

I like this setup because I don't want anything else hanging off my camera, and I usually carry a GPS when hiking anyway.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

Robp

Gainesville, US
951 posts

#3. "RE: GPS for d700 - your opinions please" | In response to Reply # 0

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009
Sat 11-Sep-10 12:19 PM

Hi Ken,

"GPS worth getting" - strictly your decision, "will Nikon add it to the firmware" - no, it requires hardware (with apologies to Marty, who has already correctly said this).

Now, if you need GPS data, you can add it to your image's Exif file with Nikon ViewNX 2. It's a bit of a pain until you get used to the procedure, but I think It's a pretty slick application of technology. Basically, ViewNX accesses a Google map where you place a pointer at the spot where you took the photo of interest. Latitude/Longitude data is returned and recorded in the Exif file.

I rarely need this info (certainly not enough to justify the cost and hassle of a GPS attachment to the camera), but I recently entered a contest that required the Lat/Long coordinates in the Exif file. ViewNX 2 to the rescue! Very nice! Kudos to Nikon.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

zedbadee

Richmond, CA
154 posts

#4. "RE: GPS for d700 - your opinions please" | In response to Reply # 3

zedbadee Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Registered since 05th Jun 2007
Sat 11-Sep-10 02:10 PM | edited Tue 14-Sep-10 07:07 AM by Asgard

Hi Rob thanks for the advise- how does use Exif file with Nikon ViewNX 2 - looking forward with your help- thanks in advance.

Robp

Gainesville, US
951 posts

#5. "RE: GPS for d700 - your opinions please" | In response to Reply # 4

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009
Sun 12-Sep-10 04:24 AM

Nikon ViewNX 2's GPS directions in the Help File are not very clear and not easy to find, but you can read them as you play with the application and figure how to use the GPS tagging features.

To get to the help files, open ViewNX 2, then open Help>ViewNX 2 Help > Various Uses of Images/Movies > Using GPS Information > Showing Shooting Locations on the Map.

To access the GPS application, click on the GeoTag icon at the top left side of the tools panel at the top of the browser.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

lisaching

NZ
11 posts

#6. "RE: GPS for d700 - your opinions please" | In response to Reply # 0

lisaching Registered since 16th Sep 2010
Thu 16-Sep-10 02:59 PM

That's sure depends on you.

Normally we remember the photo by 'time' and memory. But with geotagging devices, it remembers the photo by location.

And the choices are many such asNikon gp-1, Dawntech's and Easytagger GPS.

Smue Yue

US
4 posts

#7. "RE: GPS for d700 - your opinions please" | In response to Reply # 1

Smue Yue Registered since 16th Sep 2010
Fri 17-Sep-10 01:29 AM

I agree. Adding GPS function to existing camera bodies is not an easy work but should be quite complicated by add in a GPS unit and supporting software, and others. So it’s better to connect to GPS body to fulfill the geotag function.
I plug Easytagger GPS on my D5000. It is small, easy to carry. It records not only geo info currently and rapidly, but also the route that I walked. It is worthy, I believe.

zedbadee

Richmond, CA
154 posts

#8. "RE: GPS for d700 - your opinions please" | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 17-Sep-10 11:54 PM

Thanks Rob- its work but a lot of work Ken

G