Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
valuationman100

US
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
valuationman100 Registered since 17th Jun 2009
Wed 06-Jan-10 01:11 AM

Is there any truth that Nikon is about to unveil d900 and discontinue d700?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

#1. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 0

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007
Wed 06-Jan-10 04:54 AM | edited Wed 06-Jan-10 05:01 AM by Ramesses

Hi Curtis:

I've been following this story, off and on, for the past two days. However, I did not consider it strong enough to post it here. The story is just a rumor and a lot of speculation. We do not know what Nikon is going to do. Therefore, how can we confirm if it is right or wrong.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

johneasterly

Clearwater, US
23 posts

#2. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 1

johneasterly Registered since 03rd Jul 2008
Wed 06-Jan-10 08:38 AM

I think something is about to be released, I have been wanting a certain book on the D700 and it's publication has been pushed from available in October - to December to now Feb 2010. I strongly suspect it will not be published because of a replacement camera coming out soon.

John Easterly
www.johneasterly.com

pasipasi

FI
1 posts

#3. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 2

pasipasi Registered since 30th Dec 2009
Wed 06-Jan-10 08:48 AM

That would be annoying, as I just bought the D700

MikeLG

Bonn, DE
79 posts

#4. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 3

MikeLG Registered since 14th Oct 2008
Wed 06-Jan-10 09:24 AM

>That would be annoying, as I just bought the D700

Hi there,

You shouldn't be too disappointed; whatever comes next, the D700 is still a fantastic bit of kit and let's face it, new stuff is coming out all the time. I think DSLRs have come on so far now that once you've got one of the pro spec cameras available now, you should be confident that you have a fantastic piece of equipment.

Happy shooting and enjoy your D700!

Regards,

Mike ~ an Englishman in Bonn, Germany.

Please visit my web site.

And my blog.

philipl

Oxford, US
1784 posts

#5. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 0

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007
Wed 06-Jan-10 10:44 AM

OMG I missed the D800

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/139567[br />"]My Gallery

Don_D

Fenton, US
60 posts

#6. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 0

Don_D Gold Member Nikonian since 11th May 2008
Wed 06-Jan-10 12:34 PM

In a certain way I envy the guys who have been waiting to "pull the chain" on their D700 purchase. If a D900 comes out, the D700 will drop in price and they will be able to purchase a truly great camera for a lot less.

I realize that the newer cameras are much better but the D100 (and for that matter the D70) are fantastic cameras with which you can have an awful lot of fun. And they can be had for next to nothing now thanks to the newer cameras (and the folks who just have to have the newest stuff.)

Frankly, I have only begun to figure out all the great stuff my D700 will do. And I've had it for a couple of years. So the D900 will not be on my shopping list, regardless of its feature-set.

Don

xtrememac

Andover, US
278 posts

#7. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 3

xtrememac Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2006
Wed 06-Jan-10 01:19 PM

M opinion is that the D700 at a little more than $2K is the deal of the century. Upgrading to that from any DX camera brings you more usable welcome features (FF, hi ISO, big VF, etc.) than anything that came before. Remember, the D700 is the paradigm-shifting performance of the D3 priced for the masses, especially if the purchase is subsidized by selling a DX body.

Adding a little more ISO (like the D3s) does not provide the ROI to make me buy another camera. I did sell my D3 and dropped $3600 cash into the D3x, the increased resolution is allowing me to offer a more premium product to clients, and that paid for itself already. I am still upset it was $8K...bottom line is that made some financial sense for my business.

I do think the overall value offered by the D700 marks the beginning of the end of "digital rot" depreciation. I am not compelled to buy the next version to get the D3s sensor, and sure as hell not for 5 min video clips. I can see keeping the D700 for at least twice as long as cameras that came before it, and not feel deprived.

In a couple of years show me 30mp and 16 bit color with hi ISO at current frame rates, at the same D700 price point then I will be compelled to buy again. That even makes the DX crop resolution better that a current D300s. Hopefully the video silliness will be gone (I know, I know...but I can hope), it makes me mad NOW to have to pay for it.

I still will be spending money every year, just on glass instead of bodies...so when the next killer body comes out, I will have some great glass to use it with.

Spending money on the smaller incremental improvements in body circuitry instead of glass is simply wasteful, IMHO. I cannot see the ROI vs glass, and certainly not for enthusiasts.

Sincerely,

K. J. Doyle

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

#8. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 6

Wed 06-Jan-10 01:28 PM | edited Wed 06-Jan-10 02:59 PM by Ramesses

Hi All:

Let me emphasize that there is a lot of speculation surrounding the story regarding the D900 (and the D9000 to a lesser degree.) It is based that a very few manufacturers, that make accessories for Nikon, have listed the D900 as a Nikon Camera in their websites, a list that also includes the D90. I would not put any credibility on the story.

If there is a D900, I guess that it will be the D700x with a different model number and the D3x 24 MP sensor. Once again, it is sheer speculation on my part.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

Vance Wagener

US
20 posts

#9. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 8

Vance Wagener Registered since 17th May 2009
Wed 06-Jan-10 03:55 PM

I seriously doubt that the next D700 replacement would have a 24 mp sensor when they are still getting $8,000.00 for the current one.

I too recently bought (Read it was delivered Dec 23rd) a new D700. If the D900 was to come out tomorrow I would not be disappointed in my purchase.

I thought about holding off buying because I have the D300 and Fuji S3. But I decided at it's current price point it would be silly to wait for a camera that may not come and would be more expensive. My need was for a full frame sensor. I love it! For the first time in years I was able to use my 80-200 2.8 in the studio without my back against the wall. I also just shot a family of 17 at a comfortable distance with out lens distortion in the studio. I can't wait to see what I get with my 11-18 mm at a wedding.

As someone pointed out in other threads here the D3s is the upgrade to the D700.

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

#10. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 9

Wed 06-Jan-10 06:43 PM | edited Wed 06-Jan-10 06:46 PM by Ramesses

Hi Vance:

The only thing that the rumor makes sense is the new numbering system. The D700 is ~ $2,400 and the D3 ~ $5,000. The D700 did not cut into the sales of the D3. Therefore, I do not think that a D900 (a D700 with the 24 MP Sensor) of ~ $5,000 will not cut into the sales of the D3x, imho. In addition, they can now update the D700 to the D700s and they do not have to introduce a D700xs. A D700 at $2,400 + a D700s at ~$3,000, and a D700x at ~ $5,000 would be too confusing, imho, not to mention a D700xs. I guess that the D800 will come with more MP's.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

robsb

San Jose, US
14951 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#11. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 7

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Thu 07-Jan-10 04:14 AM

Kevin I agree with you, the mad rush to have the very latest body makes no sense when they depreciate like the computers they are. Glass is always a better investment. Significant improvements in bodies that allow you to solve some issue you have with current equipment does make sense-why i went from D200 to D700. I intend to keep my d700 for a long time.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

tankdave

Swindon, UK
101 posts

#12. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 10

tankdave Registered since 17th Sep 2007
Thu 07-Jan-10 12:12 PM

Well I was going to get a D700, but the D3s has more pulling power so I am considering that now, but I might as well wait "just a bit" longer.

Then I'll probably spend my savings on my other hobbies "I just can't win" - lol

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#13. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Thu 07-Jan-10 03:51 PM

January 21, 2010, Nikon, Japan, Fuji Bldg., 2-3, Marunouchi 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, (via HPress) - Nikon today announced the latest rumor about yet another redundant digital video SLR camera release. Nikon president Michio Kariya stated in the press conference held at Nikon World Headquarters today that although he couldn't actually provide any specifications, a new camera in the general Dxxx model range was highly likely to be released in 2010 "depending on a couple of, you know, technical things," and additionally "whether or not those goof-offs in R&D get their heads out of the local bar in time to make any upcoming project deadlines." Kariya-san went on to lament the current state of Nikon's R&D, noting that "if those devils at Canon and Panasonic - Panasonic for pete's sake! - keep releasing decent new camera stuff at the current pace, we're going to have to fire the R&D clowns we've got now and just sub-contract the whole thing to my buddy Chucky Wang who owns the fab we use just outside of Beijing. Now there's a guy who can get stuff done!"

A second, and slightly more alarming announcement for existing Nikon digital SLR camera owners was made after Kariya-san concluded his comments. According to Nikon executive director I.M. Noresponsaba, a decision has been made to sunset all previous models primarily because of the terrible economics prevalent for the past 10-14 months in Nikon's major retail markets around the world. "All this tech support is costing us big bucks, especially because those pansy Americans keep sending in bodies for 'repair' every time they find a 10 micron spec of dust on a sensor. It's enough to drive you nuts. So within 24 hours of the official launch of the next Nikon SLR camera body, all existing Nikon digital SLR bodies will immediately cease to function. As well, all photos previously taken with all existing Nikon digital SLR cameras will immediately begin to deteriorate. The image files will remain intact, however file resolution will be reduced to that of a 1997 Sony Mavica." When questioned about the wisdom of the technical support load reduction decision, the executive director merely replied, "all you guys want to do is beat us up. For years, we tricked you into believing that whatever you owned today could not possibly still work as well as what we released tomorrow. So now that we've separated about 15 grand from each and every one over the past ten years or more, we've made the decision to start the cycle all over again. Isn't that great? All of those photographers insisting on taking amazingly good photos - superb even - with D100, D70, D70s, D40, D50 D60, D200 and D300 cameras, will simply have to upgrade to the Dxxxx or newest Dxxx series bodies. The benefit will be a reduced expenditure by Nikon on tech support. Ha ha!"

Reporters at the press conference were seen scratching their heads, looking confused, and trying to figure out if Nikon was being serious. Several individuals began checking the water in the building for suspicious odours. No other information was available from Nikon at the conclusion of the press conference. -30-

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#14. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 13

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Thu 07-Jan-10 05:05 PM | edited Thu 07-Jan-10 05:06 PM by mwhals

ROFLOL!

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

eNoBlog

US
149 posts

#15. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 6

eNoBlog Registered since 14th Aug 2009
Fri 08-Jan-10 04:05 PM

>In a certain way I envy the guys who have been waiting to
>"pull the chain" on their D700 purchase. If a D900
>comes out, the D700 will drop in price and they will be able
>to purchase a truly great camera for a lot less.

This is what I was originally thinking, but I am seeing no movement to clear inventories at the moment and fear the D700 will become hard to get (like the SB-800) once it's successor comes out. My guess is that there will be a D700s to use the D3s (probably down the road, say fall time), and that a 18-24MP D900 (or whatever) is just around the corner. That's what Tom Hogan seems to be coyly hinting over at DPR.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
eNo
"It's easy to argue about equipment, but hard to argue with a good photograph."

Visit my Blog ~ Gallery.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#16. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 15

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Fri 08-Jan-10 06:15 PM

>This is what I was originally thinking, but I am seeing no
>movement to clear inventories at the moment and fear the D700
>will become hard to get (like the SB-800) once it's successor
>comes out. My guess is that there will be a D700s to use the
>D3s (probably down the road, say fall time), and that a
>18-24MP D900 (or whatever) is just around the corner. That's
>what Tom Hogan seems to be coyly hinting over at DPR.

Well it's hard for retailers to "clear inventories" if people just aren't buying enough cameras. Nikon, like all other camera makers except Olympus (in some regions), tends to work quite closely with retailers and reaches around the distribution channel to respond directly dealers. Nevertheless, Nikon and Canon have both separately and 'famously' stated in years past that they've never made a camera they didn't sell. That's mainly because they structure and sell all their manufacturing output based on dealer/distributor orders. General Motors says the same thing: "We've never made a car that didn't sell." That's because GM sells cars to the dealers, not you and me.

My advice is to trust that when a model succeeding the D700 is released, there will quickly be scores of very reasonably priced used D700 bodies available all over the place, and additionally that whatever D700 inventory remains in the distribution channels will quickly qualify for all sorts discounts, rebates and bundling deals. No worries there - it always happens.

Don't know why anyone should care about whether or not the D700 might become hard to get subsequent to the release of a successor. The SB-800 Speedlight got scarce because few customers wanted it after the release of the SB-900. Silly customers. But it should be noted too that the SB-400/600/900 series provides ample selection and it's a relatively simple deduction that continuing production of the SB-800 successor was basically not a profitably idea. Still got mine - wanna buy it?

I'm not suggesting for a moment that your concerns aren't valid. Frankly, I think your opinion is perfectly respectable. I also think, though, that we too often get drafted into discussions of possible new gear related to worries or concerns about model build-out which never has been (and likely never will be) reflected in the decision making by any of the camera makers. Ignore me - I'm not a moderator nor am I the arbiter of what's appropriate in this or any other forum.

Still I think that predicting a new model in the Nikon Dxxx series for 2010 is a bit like predicting that we're going to have a few glorious sunsets throughout 2010. It's guaranteed. I also think it's safe to be absolutely sure that once a new Dxxx SLR is released, an existing Dxxx model or two will be built out and discontinued. Nikon (and all the other makers) cannot afford to keep every model in the line up for years and years because there simply aren't enough customers to justify such a thing.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#17. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Mon 11-Jan-10 03:43 AM

>Is there any truth that Nikon is about to unveil d900 and
>discontinue d700?

Very little chance of the 'and discontinue d700?' portion of your question since the D900 is expected to be a high megapixel model.

When a D700S comes out (as mentioned above, rumored for fall), then yes D700 will be discontinued. Unless we get a dual concurrent D700S/D900 release but no one seems to expect that.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#18. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 17

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Mon 11-Jan-10 08:54 PM | edited Tue 12-Jan-10 12:58 PM by RRRoger

I expect Nikon to stay with the same naming progression.

The next upgrade to the D700 will more likely be the D700s, then we will see the D700x.

The D4 could be out late this year or next, then you will see a D800 and possibly a D4x. Any D800x would be at least 9 months or more after that.

The D5 will probably be out in 5-7 years. Not till then will we see a D900.

I just had a morbid thought that really interferes with my NAS.
If Nikon is selling out of D3s and loosing money on the D3x due to the expensive (to Nikon) Sony Sensor,
why would they come out with a D700s or x anytime soon?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#19. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 18

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 11-Jan-10 09:02 PM

>I expect Nikon to stay with the same naming progression.

Who knows whether the rumours are correct, but if they are, a D900 could be completely consistent with Nikon's naming convention. It and the D700 could be two co-existing cameras with different feature sets, just like the D40 and D60.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

bakka303

UK
49 posts

#20. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 19

bakka303 Registered since 10th Nov 2009
Mon 11-Jan-10 09:38 PM

>>I expect Nikon to stay with the same naming progression.
>
>Who knows whether the rumours are correct, but if they
>are, a D900 could be completely consistent with Nikon's naming
>convention. It and the D700 could be two co-existing cameras
>with different feature sets, just like the D40 and D60.

I agree with you Brian,if there is a D900 I think it will co-exist with the D700, but here in the UK the D700 has gone up in price AGAIN by £30!! I think it will be an 18mp FF/video to directly compete with the 5dmkII and there will be a D4 in time for the SA world cup.
Who knows, lets just wait+see. I know I won't be 'upgrading' for at least 2 generations I am still blown away by the D700's files+handling. The D3+D700 will be/are design classics and I want to be able to show my grandkids! I think I will always keep it.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#21. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 19

Mon 11-Jan-10 10:05 PM

>>I expect Nikon to stay with the same naming progression.
>
>Who knows whether the rumours are correct, but if they
>are, a D900 could be completely consistent with Nikon's naming
>convention. It and the D700 could be two co-existing cameras
>with different feature sets, just like the D40 and D60.

Well . . . ahem . . . you see . . . recently, Nikon reset the naming convention for all consumer digital SLR bodies at the beginning of the new (2009) year. Fomerly Dxx (two numeral) consumer bodies are now designated Dxxxx (four numeral) models.

Therefore, it stands to reason that the beginning of a following new year should bring a reset of Nikon's prosumer and professional digital SLR camera bodies, n'est ce pas? If the consumer model lines bumped from two numeral to four numeral model names, it would be consistent for the current Dx (one numeral) model lines to jump to Dxxx (three numeral) model names, and the Dxxx (three numeral) model lines to jump to Dxxxxx (five numeral model names.

Look not for a D900, but rather a D10000(h, s or x). Look not for a D3h, but rather a D500 (because D100, D200, D300 and D700 are already taken). Or perhaps a new D3 revision will actually turn out to be the D900 that people are (possibly errantly) touting as the next model in the Dxxx line.

My theory is that if Intel can thoroughly confuse hundreds of millions of customers by changing from perfectly understandable x86 model names plus speed designations to a thoroughly confusing Babel of alphanumeric soup bereft of any obvious hierarchy, then Nikon is just as liable to duplicate in its prosumer & professional line the same sort confusing model designations it imposed on its consumer models. Eh voila! QED.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14900 posts

#22. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Tue 12-Jan-10 01:16 AM

Did you know that even if a D900 is unveiled, that too will eventually be discontinued in favor of an even newer model? Funny how that works.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

philipl

Oxford, US
1784 posts

#23. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 21

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007
Tue 12-Jan-10 01:52 AM | edited Fri 15-Jan-10 09:24 AM by briantilley

Gee thanks Howard. I'm now so totally confused I'm going to find my old brownie camera and go back to it and film.

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/139567[br />"]My Gallery

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#24. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 23

Tue 12-Jan-10 02:46 AM

>Gee thanks Howard. I'm now so totally confused I'm going to
>find my old brownie camera and go back to it and film.

Well that's just plain impossible. How on earth do you expect to make photographs without a DSLR containing 18 menus, 140 configuration entries, and 20 separate knobs, buttons and control wheels? It's not possible. It's just not possible I tell you! If it's not a D-something, it's not a camera.

Really.

Deliriant isti Nikoniani!

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

jmason625

US
78 posts

#25. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 22

jmason625 Registered since 24th Jan 2009
Tue 12-Jan-10 12:53 PM

It is going to happen at one point or another, otherwise we all would still be using a D1. Get a 700 and enjoy it, they are a great camera and well worth the cost.

T42

Atlanta, US
301 posts

#26. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 25

T42 Basic Member
Thu 14-Jan-10 03:14 AM

The time space between my most recent two new cameras, my F2 and my D700, was 35 years. During all that time, the F2 lost no features whatsoever. The D900 will not remove any features from the D700 either. I will drive the wheels clean off of the D700 as long as it works and does what I want. I am no more concerned about the D900 today than I was about the F3 in 1975. If what you have does the job, and you get the pictures you want, then the Next Big Thing just does not matter all that much.

The manufacturers need to sell cameras all the time. Fortunately, I don't need to buy them all the time.

Henry

A Certified Dinosaur
Nikons F, F2, D700, L35AF, Leica M3, & Kiev 4a

bakka303

UK
49 posts

#27. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 26

bakka303 Registered since 10th Nov 2009
Thu 14-Jan-10 08:52 PM

+1...and with the $ u'll save why not give some to the DEC to help Haiti, tho i'm sure those of you who live in the US will be paying for Obama's pledge today in taxes!

prometheas

Athens, GR
73 posts

#28. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 27

prometheas Registered since 07th Sep 2008
Fri 15-Jan-10 06:48 AM

Why are we so anxious ? If there is smoke with the fire we will know in a few days. PMA starts on 21/2 so based on previous cases experience, the first "hard" evidences of the new goodies (whatever they are) will start apperaring at Nikon rumors within the first days of February. Just relax until then and use what you have! Nikon will hold many announcements during 2010..

Nikonian in Athens, Greece

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9064 posts

#29. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Fri 15-Jan-10 08:57 AM

Isn't 18 months historically early for a major upgrade....and what happened to the D800?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#30. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 29

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 15-Jan-10 09:25 AM

Yes, history suggests it is a bit early; that's why some expect this rumour (if it is true) to refer to an additional model rather than a D700 replacement.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

nhaak

Enhörna, SE
5 posts

#31. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 0

nhaak Registered since 15th Nov 2006
Fri 15-Jan-10 04:30 PM

I think the D700x will come soon:
Effective pixels: 24.5 million … Image Sensor Cleaning, Image Dust Off reference data (6.048 x 4.032)
Movie – mode: 1920 * 1080 at 24 fps Quicktime MOV, H.264 codec

And then the D4 in Q2/2010...

...and the D4x in Q4/2010 - Q2/2011
Effective pixels: 30.2 millions, FX sensor completely new design with maximized by increasing the sensitivity of more than 1 EV
as “ultra-fast pixel register cache”, which allows to double the frame rate or increase dynamic range, including
effective aid noise reduction with natural lodging details.
6.736 x 4.490
Format dNEF,
ISO 100 – 6400, Lo-1, Hi 1
Movie – mode: 1920 * 1080 at 30 fps”

(Info from nikon Rumors)
http://nikonrumors.com/2009/07/08/nikon-roadmap-2009-2010-leaked-part-2.aspx

eNoBlog

US
149 posts

#32. "I think there's enough smoke..." | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 19-Jan-10 08:43 PM | edited Tue 19-Jan-10 08:46 PM by eNoBlog

to believe the fire is just around the corner. Here's a claim that seems fairly credible to me.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=2972407#post2972407

To attempt a translation:

1. 20MP (not quite 24MP, and in line with Thom Hogan's 18MP prediction).

2. Dual card slots

3. ??? Equivalent high ISO performance to 12MP sensor ???

4. Video, what else?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
eNo

Visit my Blog ~ Gallery.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#33. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 19-Jan-10 09:34 PM

Wait until the week before PMA (February 21-23 in Anaheim, California). Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic should all be unveiling new V/DSLR models in FX, DX, 4/3 and m4/3. Now's the time to start making bets on whether Nikon and Canon will hit us with APS-C P&S models similar in form factor and functionality to the Canon S90 and the Olympus EP-1 & 2.

Pre-PMA announcements should start on Monday Feb 15 if not sooner. Only four weeks to wait.

CeBIT starts almost right after PMA closes - a week later - March 2-6 in Hanover, Germany. It's the biggest tech show in the world and we might see some camera product releases there too.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

wrdpico

US
157 posts

#34. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 33

wrdpico Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009
Wed 20-Jan-10 02:39 PM

Camera body intros remind me of a great Jack Benny radio routine. Ever the miser, Benny leaves the studio late one night and walks home to avoid paying for a cab. Mel Blanc, the voice of Bugs Bunny, plays a mugger (make that a camera manufacturer). He jumps out of a dark alley and says to Benny - "Your money or your life." After a long silence Blanc growls - "Well?" Benny says - "I'm thinking, I'm thinking."

I like my D700. So, I'm thinking, thinking, hmm - just thinking!

wrdpico

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

#35. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 34

Wed 20-Jan-10 07:27 PM

Hi Michael:

Here is my two cents worth on this subject. There are too many rumors regarding new Nikon lenses and cameras that are supposed to be released. All we know, with some degree of certainty, is that Nikon might have an announcement on February 3rd and probably four new Coolpix cameras. Therefore, we have no choice to wait and see - everything is speculation, at this time.

I would be interested in getting one of the three rumored lenses or the Leica X-1 and was getting ready to preorder one of them. However, with everything that is going on, there is no way I will preorder anything right now, but wait at least six months after the product is released. The same thing applies to Leica. There are too many issues with the X-1 and no reason for me to rush, even if I cross the bridge of getting a $2,000 + camera because of the Leica colors.

I have enough equipment. It might not be the best or the optimum, but it is not the worst, either. It is now up to me, as an amateur photographer, to do the best with what I have. In addition, I have come to the conclusion that in order to improve, I have to get into pixels and vectors. There is no getting around CS4, which I got two months ago, imho. I also have to accentuate my plusses. I'm not a pro with thousands of photos to process, from different shoots, and deadlines to meet; I have time.

I have LR2, looking forward to LR3, and now together with CS4, it is a very powerful combination and utterly enjoying every minute in becoming proficient with CS4. New equipment has become a secondary issue to me. Whatever lenses they come with, I'll look into it and wait six months to get it, if I'm swept off my feet, so to speak. I really do not need more than the D700.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

Alx

Nashville, US
391 posts

#36. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 35

Alx Registered since 19th Nov 2005
Sat 23-Jan-10 10:04 PM

For the sake of continuity, we and the camera manufacturers are still stuck in the wasteful rectangle sensor mode. All these various aspect rations of rectangles are not giving the maximum possible sensor area for the lens coverage, as a SQUARE sensor would.

More usable image area, plus the wonderful square format. You would not need to flip the camera over on its side, nor need any vertical grip and controls ...

Yup, some technical issues, like longer mirrors and tighter mirror boxes on bodies, but still do-able. Not going to happen, though, because the amateur market doesn't see the attraction of square format, like professionals and artists do.

Head shots, single figure studies, couples, and art are all better served by squares, and the rest can be cropped afterwards for horizontal or vertical.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#37. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 36

Sat 23-Jan-10 11:05 PM

>For the sake of continuity, we and the camera manufacturers
>are still stuck in the wasteful rectangle sensor mode. All
>these various aspect rations of rectangles are not giving the
>maximum possible sensor area for the lens coverage, as a
>SQUARE sensor would.
>
>Head shots, single figure studies, couples, and art are all
>better served by squares, and the rest can be cropped
>afterwards for horizontal or vertical.

. . . and then get the best output results on square format paper and also finally ignore corner softness in otherwise terrific lenses because soft corners become almost completely unimportant in the vast majority of square format compositions.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#38. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 36

Sun 24-Jan-10 05:42 PM

>Yup, some technical issues, like longer mirrors and tighter
>mirror boxes on bodies, but still do-able.

Your "ideal" square format, to fit within the 43mm diameter image circle of normal "FX" lenses, would be just under 31mm on each side. I don't believe it's physically possible to fit a mirror tall enough for that format within the register distance of the Nikon F-mount system.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#39. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 38

Sun 24-Jan-10 08:21 PM

>>Yup, some technical issues, like longer mirrors and
>tighter
>>mirror boxes on bodies, but still do-able.
>
>Your "ideal" square format, to fit within the 43mm
>diameter image circle of normal "FX" lenses, would
>be just under 31mm on each side. I don't believe it's
>physically possible to fit a mirror tall enough for that
>format within the register distance of the Nikon F-mount
>system.

Then we'll just have to dump the mirror box altogether in favour of a 2K/240Hz EVF. I'm just saying.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

wcguy

CA
44 posts

#40. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 39

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009
Sun 24-Jan-10 09:58 PM | edited Sun 24-Jan-10 10:05 PM by wcguy

I still have a VCR from 10 years ago. They stopped making that model, 10 years ago.Am I bothered , nope, not at all. It still works, I still use it for all the old tapes I have.Didn't run out and get the next model.Then I bought a DVD player 4 years ago, it was discontinued 4 years ago, still works, still have it, bought a Blue-Ray unit 1 year ago, it now is disfunct, but I still have it and it works.There have been many, many versions of my above units come and go, but I still have the best of the best in its time and all still working for all I need. So my new 1 month old D700 will probably be next to get the manufacturer's axe since I just purchased it, but I will still have one of the best and from the sounds of it,I will have many exciting years ahead of me using it. Will I buy the next improved model, probably not, I will buy the model that is improved upon the one that is improved upon that one and keep the D700 to boot! That should give me at least 4 to 5 years.I should know the D700 by then. Now no more reading rumors posts until then for me...

PS: Oh and by the way, this site is great. You guys and gals are full of info and so far the posts in here are very civil and most respectful. Everyone seems to enjoy helping one another , unlike some other sites . Keep up the good work guys and gals.I am really enjoying it.

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

Alx

Nashville, US
391 posts

#41. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 38

Sun 24-Jan-10 11:18 PM

Well, it might be possible if the thinking is "outside the box"...

meaning the box we are all used to ... as we know it.

Also, there could be two mirrors, or use the pellicle mirror concept, where there is no need to lift the mirror .... > in the earlier Canon version of this technology, one problem was the loss of some light, but with the high ISO capability of today, that would not be a problem, and as far as the finder, it could be a digital real-time finder, like some of the point-and-shoot cameras.

But really, why be stuck with the little peep-hole finder, when the camera could be used with the screen. The precedent is in the "old" Hassleblad and Rolleiflex waist level finders, etc, but the improvement would be no reversal of direction and image, plus at face level.

It would be best ever if the entire shutter - mirror mechanism were obviated by a live-view mode that could instantly record still or video photos with no shutter lag nor mirror flippin' lag. A sync ability at any speed the flash can go, up to its actual duration. At last, NO MOVING PARTS AT ALL, to wear out in the camera body. No mechanical systems to be sensitive to shock, in the body. This saving could make the cameras less expensive, but more probably, the same cost with better imagers and controls.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#42. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 41

Mon 25-Jan-10 08:39 AM | edited Mon 25-Jan-10 01:00 PM by briantilley

Your "no-mirror" suggestion is no longer original, given the recent introduction of several mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras like Panasonic's GH-1 for example. The GH-1 offers three different aspect ratio crops - 3:2, 4:3, 1 - but not the 1:1 option you are seeking.

But we're straying away from the subject of the thread; none of these ideas is going to be in a D900 (or whatever) in the near future

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Alx

Nashville, US
391 posts

#43. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 42

Mon 25-Jan-10 12:20 PM | edited Mon 25-Jan-10 12:49 PM by Alx

What you mean > no longer original < ? .... my comment didn't imply any originality on that idea, and even ATTRIBUTED it to the CANON PELLICLE camera of many years ago( 1965 .)

A short while after the introduction of the D200, I was involved in a discussion on another board ( I think ) or a prior thread, and wrote that I believed it would be a great idea for Nikon to put a live viewfinder feature in their next camera. I suggested that it would not require much of a technology step, and would be useful.
:-O What a RACKET of protests and negative comments on that one !
Other posts slammed the idea; self-righteous photographers said Nikon would never do that, they would have no business putting an amateur feature in the holy SLR body, that it would not be professional, and if an amateur like me wanted that, I should go get a point-and-shoot.
Yup, I was gratified about a year later to see that feature in the D300, and said so in that same thread. Now that the door is open to various format usage within the 35mm lens' capability, square format is not that remote a possibility.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#44. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 43

Mon 25-Jan-10 01:10 PM

>What you mean > no longer original < ? .... my comment
>didn't imply any originality on that idea, and even ATTRIBUTED
>it to the CANON PELLICLE camera of many years ago( 1965 .)

I was simply referring to your suggestion that...

It would be best ever if the entire shutter - mirror mechanism were obviated by a live-view mode that could instantly record still or video photos with no shutter lag nor mirror flippin' lag

...and pointing out that such cameras have appeared during the past year, from other manufacturers. They have not yet chosen to implement the square format that you think would be popular, even though it would be quite feasible.

Can we get back to D900 rumours now, please...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Alx

Nashville, US
391 posts

#45. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 44

Mon 25-Jan-10 03:36 PM

The square format D900 is now an official sanctioned and verified true actual documented reported alleged presumed rumor now. What does it take to be a rumor otherwise ?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#46. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 45

Mon 25-Jan-10 05:01 PM

If this thread has value, it's that in the absence of any official information, we can read educated guesses about what a D900 might be like, from people who have watched DSLR developments from Nikon and its competitors over the years and are able to make sensible deductions and extrapolations.

Anything could happen in time, but no-one thinks a near-future D900 would have a larger, square sensor and/or an electronic viewfinder, or that it would lack a traditional mirror. Talking about such things in this thread is pointless, so let's drop it now...

Thanks

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

bmunson

San Diego, US
351 posts

#47. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 13

bmunson Registered since 04th Apr 2007
Mon 25-Jan-10 05:02 PM

Not to worry, all the lenses will still work!

Barry

The pursuit of photography drives me to go places and see things I otherwise would only view through the eyes of others.

Visit my Nikonians Gallery

Alx

Nashville, US
391 posts

#48. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 46

Mon 25-Jan-10 07:04 PM

Yeah drop the damned thread because its pointless if we cannot say what we want.

eNoBlog

US
149 posts

#49. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 16

Tue 26-Jan-10 04:16 PM

Thanks for your perspective, Howard. If you care to know, I stopped fretting about this whole thing and jumped on an a Bing.com cashback deal. My new D700 should be arriving sometime next week... along with a used 17-35mm I found for a reasonable price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
eNo

Visit my Blog ~ Gallery.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#50. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 49

Tue 26-Jan-10 04:48 PM

Great stuff. The D700 and 17-35 f/2.8 are a wonderful combination.

Which dealer is offering the cashback deal?

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

daffyduke

CA
140 posts

#51. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 48

daffyduke Registered since 14th Jul 2009
Thu 28-Jan-10 08:44 PM | edited Thu 28-Jan-10 10:05 PM by daffyduke

Hi all,

I can say what I want.

So, d900 or D700s? It will be interesting to see what happens but I know that no new product will cause me to doubt my purchase of the d700. It was one of those rare times when I knew I made the correct decision to buy after the first day of use.

Best wishes,

Peter

Peter
Canada

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

#52. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 51

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 30-Jan-10 01:53 PM

D700>D900? What happened to the D800?

Single non-0 digits followed by a variable number of 0's sure does not give many model number options. Since the time span between releases is decreasing in all areas of technology, more distinct names will be needed to cover 40 future years compared to the previous 40 years.
Why not Nikon adopt a distinctive range number such as D1 for all flagship camera, D2 for the semi-pro, D3 for the prosumer/enthusiast bodies and D4 for consumer, followed by a letter or letter and number which would greatly extend the names available without confusing the public as to where to direct their body envy . As a sales tool, to influence a lot of the people who just HAVE To Have the latest, use a date after the year. A D2010 will surely need to be replaced as soon as a D2011 comes out for millions of users who are afraid of not having the best and who don't mind never actually mastering the model they are replacing.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#53. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 52

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 31-Jan-10 02:45 AM

I would like to see something like DX101 and FX101.
Of course you would still have to differentiate between body sizes.

At any rate they will have to come out with a new system soon for most of the camera bodies.
Even the D1,2,3,4 will end with 9 or is it D99?

kenta

US
146 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#54. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 53

kenta Gold Member Nikonian since 17th May 2009
Sun 31-Jan-10 02:51 PM

I love the Nikonians sites.. I get my morning entertainment and feel that buying the D-300 and the D-700 were a good decision last year.I did look at the specs on the D3x and besides the price I was disappointed with the low iso. My wife is just happy I am excited about cameras and not motorcycles anymore. There is always a happy ending. Thanks for clearing the fog. Kent

Kent Ancliffe

prophotoman

Oakdale, US
253 posts

#55. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 0

prophotoman Registered since 27th Jun 2009
Tue 02-Feb-10 05:14 AM

What difference does it make? I can easily make needle sharp images at 16 x 20 with my D700. See the outdoor shot I took of a church in Oklahoma in my gallery. Shot with the 24-70 lens. It is super sharp! It will be an extremely rare case where I'll want a print bigger than what the Epson 3880 is capable of printing, I see no reason to even go to the D3X. Lenses are the only things I'm going to concentrate on over the next year. I am VERY happy with my 24-70 f/2.8 amd 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. I still plan on getting the 14-24 very soon.

Blufox

Nampa, US
668 posts

#56. "RE: D900 RUMOR" | In response to Reply # 55

Blufox Registered since 24th Feb 2007
Tue 02-Feb-10 10:51 PM

>See the outdoor shot I took of a church in Oklahoma in my gallery.

Very nice image! How far back were you, if you remember? Just trying to get more of an idea of how wide my 24-70 will be when my D700 arrives.

Thanks,
Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated. These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer..."

G