Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

odd looking whites

meganparkerphoto

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
meganparkerphoto Registered since 27th Sep 2009
Mon 28-Sep-09 08:50 PM | edited Mon 28-Sep-09 11:21 PM by meganparkerphoto

I am only have one issue with my new d700. I keep getting really weird looking whites. I'm wondering if the day I got my camera and played around with some of the settings if I've messed something up? This is a shot straight out of camera I took to show what I'm talking about....

I have my camera set on RAW as well.

I was just taking test shots and kept lowering my exposure in order to save the whites and no matter how low I took the exposure the whites continued to almost GLOW.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/asherandnoah/DSC_9422.jpg

bweber

Maple Valley, US
68 posts

#1. "RE: odd looking whites" | In response to Reply # 0

bweber Registered since 08th Aug 2008
Mon 28-Sep-09 07:26 PM | edited Mon 28-Sep-09 07:29 PM by bweber

I'm a little bit confused. Where your arrow is pointing is a part of the gray shirt the boy is wearing and is not supposed to be white. I think the main problem is that the image is overexposed. Looking at the histogram shows the highlights are blown out. I did a quick edit in Lightroom and attached the image below. It may be darker than some people may like, but I don't think the white balance is off. IMHO.

Nice shot, btw.

Bruce

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

www.nwdogshots.com

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.
~Ansel Adams

meganparkerphoto

US
3 posts

#2. "RE: odd looking whites" | In response to Reply # 1

meganparkerphoto Registered since 27th Sep 2009
Mon 28-Sep-09 07:32 PM | edited Mon 28-Sep-09 07:35 PM by meganparkerphoto

Your right I must have moved the arrow by mistake. The lower sleeve is WHITE. In the RAW it looks very blue/blown and almost like I slid the recovery slider over which I didn't. I don't think the image as a whole is over exposed at all. In your edit the bottom half (white) part of the sleeve is now very gray which it should be white. This only happens to white. They look blown NO MATTER WHAT and very blue?I don't think the white balance looked very off either...maybe a TAD cool.

I updated that photo and added another example.

Thanks for the reply!!!!!!!

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#3. "RE: odd looking whites" | In response to Reply # 2

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Fri 02-Oct-09 01:46 AM | edited Fri 02-Oct-09 02:07 AM by KnightPhoto

Since white is not appearing white, then that is primarily a white balance issue isn't it? In Capture NX terminology:
- WB should be set to Shade on both your examples and then adjust exposure up or down from there.
- Or place the white control point on the white area of the image.
- protect highlights slider can be increased anywhere from zero to 100 as necessary.

Yes you might have some blown highlights, but working with Raw you can probably recover them, to a reasonable extent.

Partially mangled attempts are below:

Best regards, SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G