Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Who wants D700s before D700X

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Lakeesh Registered since 02nd Aug 2009
Tue 04-Aug-09 01:29 AM

I would be disappointed if the rumors are correct, and a 24 Meg D700X is announced before an improved, including awesome video, 12 Meg D700s.

robsb

San Jose, US
14838 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Tue 04-Aug-09 01:45 AM

No interest in a 700s.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#2. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Tue 04-Aug-09 01:48 AM | edited Tue 04-Aug-09 01:49 AM by LMMiller9

I would be very disappointed if they junked up any of their pro-level DSLRs with video. I hope the D700/D3 series NEVER is polluted with the word "video." There are plenty of great HD video cameras from Sony and Canon for around $600. Spare us, please!

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31297 posts

#3. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 04-Aug-09 05:17 AM | edited Tue 04-Aug-09 05:18 AM by MEMcD

I also have no iterest in having video capability built in to a Pro level DSLR. That is why I have a video camera as well.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Gordy

AU
470 posts

#4. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

Gordy Registered since 24th Apr 2006
Tue 04-Aug-09 08:07 AM | edited Tue 04-Aug-09 08:08 AM by Gordy

A D700s released before a D700X would be a huge blunder by Nikon if they did that. Video mode should be low in priority and a minor ask.

I feel Nikon would sell far more D700X bodies then they would a D700s (D700+video), they are sitting on a gold mine with the D3X sensor and delaying a D700X by another year would just give too much leverage to Canon.

I read daily across different forums of people moving to the Canon 5D MkII or seriously thinking of it because of the sensor and it's resolution. If Nikon was able to give these potential buyers a serious alternative in terms of high resolution and quality, I think many people could be swayed to migrate over to Nikon.

Hammam

Montreal, CA
503 posts

#5. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 4

Hammam Basic Member
Tue 04-Aug-09 08:40 AM

NO! No video, please. Next thing you know they come up with a DSLR with an integrated cell phone!

As for 24 megpx, hmm... If I will be shooting for huge billboards, maybe, otherwise, no thanks. I won't give up the great noise-free images of the D700 (or the D3) at 3600 ISO.

Hammam

asnnet

Copenhagen, DK
117 posts

#6. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

asnnet Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2007
Tue 04-Aug-09 08:42 AM

For myself, I don't want either.

I've got absolutely no interest in video. And for almost all my pictures, the extra resolution would just have meant larger files without any relevant gain.

I'm sure that there are customers for both a video capable D700s and for a higher resolution D700x - and I'm certain sure that one is more important than the other from a market standpoint.

Personally, I would be more interested in a 100 % view finder, improved white-balance capability, a better spacing of the AF points and similar more evolutionary changes - but I guess they don't have enough marketing value to be anything but possible extra features that might happen - but probably won't.

Anyway, I don't expect to upgrade to any new D700 -x / -s or even -xs. All in all, I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

jeremyr

Carcassonne, FR
94 posts

#7. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

jeremyr Registered since 12th Jun 2006
Tue 04-Aug-09 09:44 AM

HI,

I have absolutely no interest in video whatsoever. If I am to pay Nikon for a new camera, I want that investment to be put towards improved quality and handling, not wasted on video gimmicks. I would never use video, and I certainly don't want to pay for it.

Regards,

Jeremy.

rmsphoto2009

Toronto, CA
156 posts

#8. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

rmsphoto2009 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009
Tue 04-Aug-09 10:05 AM

Originally, before moving from film and getting the D700, I was planning on holding out for the "D800" - a 24MP that would give me "near film quality" instead of getting "just" 12MP. Well, it has proven to be a non-issue in terms of image quality for me and probably most shooters. As with many others, it really should come down to how to use the camera creatively and not worry about all out performance numbers and unused "features". There are people out there that can blow a DSLR away with a simple P/S camera just because they are creative. I wish I had more of the artistic component in my head!

Another reason why 24MP isn't too big a deal right now is the associated larger file size. The ones from 12MP are large enough to manage.

As for video... same as most others.... NO!!! The money spent on a pro-level DSLR should include some technical benefits and build quality, but the idea of video is a bit much.

I would rather have Nikon put more towards the handling and build quality of the camera and stick to what it was designed to do in the first place - take excellent still photographs. If I want a video recorder, I'd buy one.

On a recent vacation, I saw someone high on a ridge overlooking a beautiful landscape. He's holding his camera phone and recording a video of the view. Meanwhile, myself and a few other DSLR users are waiting to get a chance to get a few shots from the outlook. Seemed kind of odd, as we carried "real" gear up the hill while this guy just pullled out a cell phone. The idea of me grabbing my DSLR and start panning a video seems out of place in a similar way.

No thanks. Make the camera quality live up to the Nikon brand. Put video in the lower models that are "consumer" oriented. Right now, I'd say the D300S is the upper limit of that market. The dual card feature is a nice touch though...

Ralph.

DVDMike

Metro Atlanta, US
2225 posts

#9. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 2

DVDMike Registered since 25th Mar 2003
Tue 04-Aug-09 10:37 AM

There are not plenty of $600 video cameras with interchangeable lenses. Please name just one. If you want to shoot video for "fun", I would agree that a $600 video camera is fine. But you are missing the point about video on a D-SLR. The selling point is that you can make artistic "films" with breathtaking quality at a price-point that was simply unheard of previously.

Given this, I would agree that I'd rather spend my money on a better sensor than video on the D700. I would like a D700x with 24MP. (But for over 99% of my work, my D3 has all of the resolution that I need.)

Count me in for the D700x over the D700s.

rlpaul

US
9 posts

#10. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 8

rlpaul Registered since 27th May 2009
Tue 04-Aug-09 11:54 AM

From a purist standpoint, I also agree with the no video crowd - however, I also understand why video on a DSLR is appealing - not only is it capable of high quality video, it also has incredible control over Depth of Field.

Lets face it, if you're making a film, you're not shooting hours worth of film, you're shooting a minute here, maybe... MAYBE a couple minutes there, its all short clips.

I've seen what some people can do with a D90 from a film perspective... there's a couple music videos floating around done exclusively on a D90, and they look fantastic. When I heard they were digital, my first thought was RED. If you can get that kind of quality without having to spend 26 grand on a RED, I can understand why people keep asking for video on more and more DSLRs.

That being said, I'd just as soon not have any video on any of my DSLRs. I simply don't care about video for my cameras. I want maximum image quality for my photos, and don't want it sacrificed for some feature I'm never going to use. However, if the price/performance is not impacted (or has minimal impact on price), then I'm not going to complain.

Alejandro

Spain, ES
1261 posts

#11. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

Alejandro Platinum Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2004
Tue 04-Aug-09 03:38 PM

Yes !

24 full frame, 12 DX crop

and Video !!!

I want Video !! on FX.

and I want it now.

A

-----------------------

MstrBones

AW
8238 posts

#12. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005
Tue 04-Aug-09 05:31 PM

D700s for me. Then I might get a nice price on a new D700 that no one no longer wants.

""

Captain Rich

Savannah, US
1277 posts

#13. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 12

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 04-Aug-09 06:08 PM

I'm with Bones. I'm just waiting for the price of the existing D700 to come down to a more manageable level. Same with D300. I got tired of waiting for the D400 to upgrade from my D200, so I'm thinking I'll either go with a D90 soon (which would be a great travel camera), or wait for leftover D300's to come down in price as the D300S makes its way to market. Yes, I'm that cheap.

Rich

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#14. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 13

Tue 04-Aug-09 06:32 PM

You could have gotten a D700 for $2500 last October. Now the price is back up to $3000. I don't think prices will be going down. With the price of the yen, inflation in the price of materials, and the worldwide recession (which forces lower volumes on manufacturers), the sweet deals of last year are probably a thing of the past.

I have to say I am a little bit surprised at the almost violent reaction of some people to the idea of video in their cameras. I never use D-Lighting, but my blood pressure doesn't go up because someone else does.

That said, I probably should not have asked D700 users whether they're anxiously awaiting the "s" version of their beloved creature. I owned a D2H, which made me feel shafted when the D2Hs came out; same price, same everything, except no green monster making some of your pictures look aweful.

On the other hand, the D700 is a fine camera, with no flaws similar to those of the D2H. If a D700 user wanted video, he or she would have gotten a D90. That makes sense.

From the standpoint of a D90 (and to an extent a D300) user, however, we are not interested in 24 Megapixels. We already have that kind of pixel density; we want low-ISO performance. We are also more budget-minded than the typical D700 user. If you give us a camera that can take awesome still images, and also awesome moving images, we'd snap it up. We've seen what video on a DSLR can do, and we want more. Mostly we want the second gneration video to have two things: (1) manual control and (2) better compression codecs. Sure, throw in a stereo input and AF (ala D300s). And better low-ISO perforance wouldn't hurt. But it's really the lack of manual control and the crappy compression that handicap the D90 (and probably D300) video.

So that's why I'd like to see the D700s/D800 or whatever they call it. D700X does not interest me because it will not have the stellar low-ISO performance of the D700, and will be more expensive. Other people will love it I am sure. Unfortunately, people here are probably correct: Nikon probably wants to make use of the D3X sensor, so it means more waiting for me until they combine FF low-ISO performance and second generation video into one machine.

Thanks for listening!

MstrBones

AW
8238 posts

#15. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 14

Tue 04-Aug-09 07:15 PM

>You could have gotten a D700 for $2500 last October. Now the price is back up to $3000.

Haha, funny,- However, I couldn't buy one last October and it had nothing to do with price, it had to do with me buying a house and not wanting to spend $2500 on a camera.

The D700 is on B&H now for $2350, btw, and a D700s will bring that lower. I have a camera and some patience and only a desire for FX, not a burning need. So like everything I desire, but don't need, I buy it when I feel...
1. I can afford it
2. It is a good deal.

Frankly though, I am what Thom Hogan calls a late adopter. I bought a D200 late, late, late, and got it brand new for $800 - and it is still taking great images. I hope to buy a D700 under similar circumstances.

""

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#16. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 15

Tue 04-Aug-09 07:45 PM

B&H website lists the D700 2,999.95. It was not obvious to me, but adding it to the cart brings up the lower price of 2,649.95. Where did you see it for 2,350?

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#17. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Tue 04-Aug-09 10:40 PM

Hi,

I'm one of those who is NOT interested in video. However I would be interested in 100% coverage in the viewfinder.

Enjoy!

Randy

MstrBones

AW
8238 posts

#18. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 16

Tue 04-Aug-09 11:09 PM

>Where did you see it for 2,350?

Actually, just a couple days ago on B&H, but that was just me doing my occasional price check. Buy.com is listing it for $2407 at the moment.

""

Bangkok Paul

Bangkok, TH
597 posts

#19. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

Bangkok Paul Gold Member Charter Member
Wed 05-Aug-09 05:20 AM | edited Wed 05-Aug-09 07:11 AM by Bangkok Paul

I'm kind of in the middle here. Part of me really doesn't want second rate video on my Pro Quality camera. And, it is second rate, medium resolution, 1280x720 pixel. I have my little pocket Sony TG-1 that will do 1920x1200 and I can get 2 hours on a little 16GB Memory Stick Pro Duo. I is about the size of a point and shoot pocket still camera and fits easily in my shirt or pants pocket. And, I can plug in Memory Stick into my Sony MC-5 DVD Burner and get beautiful 1920x1200 burned on a DVD in a few minutes and 4 pushes of a button. I can play that on my PS3, or any Blu-ray player or any DVD player that in H.264 1920x1200 compliant for about 1% of the price of a Blu-ray disk. I can archive my video, raw, out of the camera quickly and cheaply. And, another camera gives me some redundancy, and it's so tiny it's easy to carry.

OTOH, there are times with my Daughter where HD Video captures a lot more of the feeling than a still shot and even medium resolution would be nice as a back up. Other times you can't beat a still.

I guess I'm different than most people. The D3x if the first pro level Nikon I haven't purchased as soon as it came out in a long time. Because I think for 99% of the pictures I take, it will take a WORSE picture than my D3 or D700. The only time it will take a better picture is with studio flash or other very bright light source and subject still or moving very slow or a long duration landscape on a $1000 tripod. You simply can't hand old a camera and expect to get ANY advantage of 24 mp. And with it's increased noise at high ISO, you will get worse resolution than with a D700. Even with 12 MP you are at the limits of the best of modern glass of 35mm size and will get sharper images stopping down a good bit. Even with a D3 or D700 you get much sharper images stopping down a bit and putting it on a HEAVY tripod and head. Most of the time, if you really want to take advantage of 24MP, for most types of shots, you need medium format glass. I guess if 24MP get's cheap enough, I'll get one for the few times when it would really come in useful. But, I really think people are fooling themselves thinking they will be better and sharper picture with 24MP hand holding it.

D3, D700, D300, D2X & D200
New 14-24 F2.8 too!
If your not shooting Nikon your doing
it WRONG!

My Nikonians Gallery

Don_D

Fenton, US
60 posts

#20. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 15

Don_D Gold Member Nikonian since 11th May 2008
Wed 05-Aug-09 11:19 AM

>Frankly though, I am what Thom Hogan calls a late adopter. I
>bought a D200 late, late, late, and got it brand new for $800
>- and it is still taking great images. I hope to buy a D700
>under similar circumstances.

I like the "late adopter" moiniker...many photographers are taking wonderful pictures with equipment they bought for half of what it came out as. The D700 will come down alot as soon as the new stuff is available. Cameras always do so. Go to www.1x.com. There are a lot of really great images being taken with a D70.

I say, "come out with all the new gadgets possible...it makes the good stuff much cheaper."

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#21. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 20

Wed 05-Aug-09 11:30 AM

>Go to www.1x.com. There are a lot of really
>great images being taken with a D70.

That doesn't denigrate the photographers making great pictures with a D90, does it?

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#22. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 19

Wed 05-Aug-09 11:39 AM

I haven't shot 24 Meg, but what you say sounds plausible, which is why I think a D700X will not be so useful (but perhaps Nikon needs it for image reasons).

Although I usually don't put too much stock in ravings, I haven't seen anybody raving about their D3X or the pictures they're making with it. Not so when the D3 came out. There was plenty of raving.

That's not to say I'm not into image quality. Some of my favorite shots were taken with a large format camera. The quality of large format slides and negatives is still unbeatable in my opinion. The issue there is not pixel density, but image size, similar in a way to the difference between DX and FF but on a grander scale.

On my next trip, I'll be taking a large format camera with just two lenses, along with a D90 and umpteen lenses.

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#23. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Wed 05-Aug-09 12:50 PM

I don't want video on DSLRs and I hate cameras on cell phones.

Mark H

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

cchoc

Marietta, US
5064 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#24. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 16

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter Member
Wed 05-Aug-09 06:11 PM

I got my D700 from B&H in June for $2349.95.

Charlie...
www.chocphoto.com

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers

Don_D

Fenton, US
60 posts

#25. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 21

Wed 05-Aug-09 08:02 PM

>That doesn't denigrate the photographers making great pictures
>with a D90, does it?

Not at all. There are also photographers making great pictures with a D3X they paid 8 grand for. The new gear is what it is. Someone who wants to make videos with their DSLR, more power to them. But the cameras are not making the images, as I'm sure you all will agree. I've seen some really marvelous photos with a 4 mp P&S. But pining for a new camera thinking it will make somebody a "better" photographer, pro or amateur, or produce "better" images I think is the wrong thought process. I have a D700 because I can afford it. If I couldn't, I would be just as happy taking (I think) pretty good pictures with my wife's D40 and kit lens.

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#26. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 25

Wed 05-Aug-09 08:19 PM

Agreed; the camera doesn't take pictures, you do. That said, I did not like much about the D70, and would rather use film than that camera (which I did, after selling it). Power to those folks who use it to their advantage.

Btw, by all reports, the D700X will have video.

So my original question wasn't really whether or not you want video. Video is coming whether or not we like it. My question, if I may re-state it, is what do you want first: the D700 upgraded and improved (including, importantly, through the addition of video); or do you want the D3X sensor crammed into a D700 body (with video to boot)?

jbateham

US
189 posts

#27. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 9

jbateham Registered since 29th Mar 2006
Wed 05-Aug-09 10:52 PM | edited Wed 05-Aug-09 10:53 PM by jbateham

Amen DVDMike,
For folks that don't want video in a DSLR, that's fine! However, for us aspiring amateur film-makers, this is a really exciting feature.

My advice for the video haters is this: Don't use the feature!

Jason
Azelle Photography

Blog

Don_D

Fenton, US
60 posts

#28. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 23

Wed 05-Aug-09 11:31 PM

I like the 100% view finder also. I'm always sort of surprised when I see what I have actually captured after I download it.

I also don't want video and would hate to sacrifice the high ISO capability, now that I have it.

MstrBones

AW
8238 posts

#29. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 26

Thu 06-Aug-09 01:52 AM

>That said, I did not like much about the D70, and would rather use film than that camera

I had the exact opposite experience, my D70s converted me from film. in fact, brought me over to Nikon. True enough, it is not a D90. So what?

""

Bronson123

SG
25 posts

#30. "TE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 28

Bronson123 Registered since 15th Mar 2009
Thu 06-Aug-09 08:35 AM

As for my view:
The D700 is more camera than i will ever need in my lifetime. It is great, wonderful and i will always dadmire folks on this forum for the pix that you take. I have gaine a new appreciation for what skills real pr0 photographers (like many of you) have. I am envious. As for 24mps, i have not maxed using the 12mps in the D700 so more than i need. As for video, i have one of those and rarely use it so will not change for the video. I agree with many previous folks that i would upgrade for improved handling, smaller profile, less weight, and 2 cards for storage (D3/3x do not fit that list). Price is not the motivator for me (at least since i still have a job).

good luck with what you all decide.

regards
John

BassOverflow

US
419 posts

#31. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 4

BassOverflow Registered since 07th Apr 2007
Thu 06-Aug-09 11:35 AM

I agree with Gordy.

Also, I have no interest in either.

~Joe in Western NC

My Nikonians Gallery.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#32. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Thu 06-Aug-09 05:59 PM

I'd expect to see a D700x with video, competing directly with the 5D MKII (which is selling well).

One thing is sure - DSLR bodies with video are likely going to increase in number. There's great market uptake of the current DSLR/V bodies even in recessionary economies. As long as Nikon continues to compete most directly with Canon, I think the next most likely D700 body will include a version of the D3x sensor plus video.

Nikon seems to be managing quite a few product SKUs right now and I'd be surprised to see a D700s and a D700x in the same year.

Apropos of nothing at all, what's the DX crop of a 24mp D700x? 10mp? That's a great res/image size all on its own.

Ahem . . . it's all a conspiracy by the corporate satraps to separate us from our money. I shall complain to the proper authorities immediately.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

cfeather

Kingsville, US
264 posts

#33. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 32

cfeather Registered since 23rd Dec 2005
Sun 09-Aug-09 07:16 PM

Personally, I won't buy another DSLR unless it has video and is full frame. The D700 is an ideal camera, but it lacks video, which as a wedding and event photographer, would be a great addition. I don't want to make documentaries with it, but there are some things best expressed as motion capture.

That said, I also want the issues I've seen with DSLR video thus far to be resolved before I invest in one.

I have no need for 24 mpg. wallets and 4X6 prints account for 80 percent of my business.

Carl E. Feather
Feather Multimedia

chevysales

US
156 posts

#34. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 2

chevysales Registered since 08th Nov 2008
Sun 09-Aug-09 08:21 PM

>I would be very disappointed if they junked up any of their
>pro-level DSLRs with video. I hope the D700/D3 series NEVER is
>polluted with the word "video." There are plenty of
>great HD video cameras from Sony and Canon for around $600.
>Spare us, please!

i second that

Happy Nikon convert from Canon...
D700
24-70 f2.8
70-200vr f2.8

gwelland

Vancouver, US
304 posts

#35. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 22

gwelland Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2003
Sun 09-Aug-09 09:52 PM

>Although I usually don't put too much stock in ravings, I
>haven't seen anybody raving about their D3X or the pictures
>they're making with it. Not so when the D3 came out. There
>was plenty of raving.
>

don't confuse absence of evidence with evidence of absence ....

There are plenty of folks (including me) who LOVE their D3x's but we don't hang out here that much or feel the need to rave in public. The D3x is a stunning camera.

As regards D700 updates - I suspect that Nikon will release both just to compete. Whether we want or need that functionality or not is kind of moot.

------
Graham

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#36. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 35

Sun 09-Aug-09 10:21 PM

>
>There are plenty of folks (including me) who LOVE their D3x's
>but we don't hang out here that much or feel the need to rave
>in public. The D3x is a stunning camera.
>
What kinds of applications do you use the D3X for?

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#37. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 33

Sun 09-Aug-09 10:26 PM

>That said, I also want the issues I've seen with DSLR video
>thus far to be resolved before I invest in one.

If all the issues are resolved wonderful; I would be happy with a significant improvement.

gwelland

Vancouver, US
304 posts

#38. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 36

Sun 09-Aug-09 10:28 PM

>What kinds of applications do you use the D3X for?
>

Everything. Mostly landscape & travel.

I also have a d700 for low light, high ISO and speed (with grip). I may get another D3 for this stuff too. There are certain things that the D700/D3 just do better.

------
Graham

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#39. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 38

Sun 09-Aug-09 10:38 PM

>
>>What kinds of applications do you use the D3X for?
>>
>
>Everything. Mostly landscape & travel.
>
>I also have a d700 for low light, high ISO and speed (with
>grip). I may get another D3 for this stuff too. There are
>certain things that the D700/D3 just do better.

I would love to look at your gallery if you have one.

mitchman

Kennewick, US
133 posts

#40. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 39

mitchman Registered since 08th Jul 2009
Mon 10-Aug-09 01:12 AM

I would sell our D700 for a Nikon that shoots 30P video. Sorry, but that's the truth. (I'm a videographer and photographer by trade)

---------
Nikon D700 | 17-35mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 80-200mm f/2.8 (mainly a videographer but am dabbling into professional photography)

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#41. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 40

Mon 10-Aug-09 08:46 AM

>I would sell our D700 for a Nikon that shoots 30P video.
>Sorry, but that's the truth. (I'm a videographer and
>photographer by trade)

Why do you care about 30P? There's lots that needs to be improved in the Nikon's video, but I didn't think the frame rate was at the top of the list.

DMCdigitalmedia

US
130 posts

#42. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

DMCdigitalmedia Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Mon 10-Aug-09 10:59 AM

Reality Check......any pro making films is not going to use a DSLR !It can be great quality sure, but a priority feature in a DSLR not ffor me - give me 24mp while retaining noise performance of the D700 and I'll buy 2 !

www.dcarbophoto.com

"Like" me on facebook

www.facebook.com/dcarbophoto

mitchman

Kennewick, US
133 posts

#43. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 41

Mon 10-Aug-09 11:37 AM | edited Mon 10-Aug-09 11:37 AM by mitchman

>Why do you care about 30P? There's lots that needs to be
>improved in the Nikon's video, but I didn't think the frame
>rate was at the top of the list.

Because 24P looks awful if you're trying to pan, or show any motion in your video. Manual audio controls would be another important feature now that I really am thinking about it.

---------
Nikon D700 | 17-35mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 80-200mm f/2.8 (mainly a videographer but am dabbling into professional photography)

yelcab

San carlos, US
924 posts

#44. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 42

yelcab Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2006
Mon 10-Aug-09 02:54 PM

So, I counted about 20 no against 1 yes for video.

Nikon must not be reading this column, or web site. I bet they think everybody wants video capability and an Apple Macbook to edit it.

Wrong !

mitchman

Kennewick, US
133 posts

#45. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 44

Tue 11-Aug-09 11:32 AM | edited Tue 11-Aug-09 11:57 AM by mitchman

>So, I counted about 20 no against 1 yes for video.
>
>Nikon must not be reading this column, or web site. I bet they
>think everybody wants video capability and an Apple Macbook to
>edit it.
>
>Wrong !

If that's true, why is the Canon 5D MkII continually sold out nationwide? And why is Apple the only computer company showing a significant increase in a down economy?

If the original question of this thread was posted on the Digital Video Forums or DVXUser Forums, the answers would probably 21 yes and 0 no's for video.

Not trying to start an argument, just saying that this forum isn't representative of the entire DSLR user base. If you don't like Apple computers, that's totally understandable. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. And I hope Nikon comes out with a new camera that will make everyone happy (both the still photo purists. and the new videographers)

BTW, where are you all finding this info about a D700s coming out with video? Can you provide a link or something? Thanks

---------

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#46. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 45

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 11-Aug-09 12:20 PM | edited Tue 11-Aug-09 12:21 PM by briantilley

>BTW, where are you all finding this info about a D700s coming
>out with video? Can you provide a link or something?

Right now, any postings about a potential D700s (or D700X) are no more than a guess.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#47. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 45

Tue 11-Aug-09 12:34 PM

>
>BTW, where are you all finding this info about a D700s coming
>out with video? Can you provide a link or something? Thanks
>

I saw an interview with one of the two designers of the D700 who sounded pretty excited about finding ways to incorporate video into a pro-level Nikon; besides that I don't know of any hard information about the future of the D700.

The vocal reaction that came out of a small number of D700 users (20 is not a whole lot, is it?) is not very interesting to me. This thread wasn't intended to start an argument or reveal how strongly some people hold their views, whether they might be rational or not.

My main interest is finding out information and/or insights about upcoming Nikon cameras with video so that I can make a judgment as to whether or not to upgrade my D90 to D300s. As such, this has not been a very informative exchange, except that it made me realize Nikon needs to do a D700X in order to keep up with Canon (I was a little surprised by this because my impression was that the D3X, unlike the D3, did not fly off the shelf.)

I was pretty disappointed with the video specs of the D300s--the three improvements from the D90 are relatively minor side issues in my opinion. What's really needed are manual control and a better video codec.

If the D700X is reasonable priced and has a much improved video function, I might consider it. But my preference would be for a D700 + video. That is a camera I would pre-order.

At the end of the day, there is enough uncertainty about the future models that I will not be ordering the D300s until I see the announcements for both the D700x and the successor to the D700.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#48. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 47

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 11-Aug-09 12:43 PM | edited Tue 11-Aug-09 12:44 PM by briantilley

>My main interest is finding out information and/or insights
>about upcoming Nikon cameras with video

I'm afraid you won't get any firm information on future Nikon plans here (or anywhere else).

>At the end of the day, there is enough uncertainty about the
>future models that I will not be ordering the D300s until I
>see the announcements for both the D700x and the successor to
>the D700.

Having watched Nikon for many years, it has always proved to be best to make purchase decisions based on what is actually available and/or announced, rather than what may be announced in future

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

clicari

Denton, US
27 posts

#49. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 45

clicari Registered since 07th Aug 2009
Tue 11-Aug-09 12:48 PM

Don't be surprised to see a D700xs camera. There is no way, whatever it is, it will not have video (I don't want it either). Don't kid yourselves, this about competition with Canon and the 5D MKII.
All I'm hoping is for it to drive the price of the current D700 down so I can get mine and park it next to my D300.

clicari

pdm7

US
1 posts

#50. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 27

pdm7 Registered since 11th Aug 2009
Tue 11-Aug-09 02:08 PM

I have been amazed and exceedingly pleased with the video feature in my Canon 5D Mark II, a feature I didn't even want. That said, I haven't really gotten used to a Canon and I want a Nikon 700, which I should have purchased to begin with. Trouble is, now I want the video too! All my beautiful Nikon lenses are laying unused in camera bags. Beam me up, Scotty.

mitchman

Kennewick, US
133 posts

#51. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 50

Tue 11-Aug-09 02:50 PM

Can some of the people who are adamantly against video on a DSLR explain why? I guess I don't understand what the negative is to having video capability on a DSLR? Just because a feature is on a camera doesn't mean you have to use it. Are you worried about added cost for the new camera? Added complexity? Size?

I would think that having a variety of Nikon lenses AND having the new capability of shooting better looking video then all dedicated video cameras would be a blessing. You could use this new feature to break out into different markets. If you have a Apple computer, you already have the software you would need to edit the video and even burn a DVD or publish to a website. I would think this would be especially enticing for professional shooters as they would be creating a new revenue stream for themselves.

Just wondering....

---------

Don_D

Fenton, US
60 posts

#52. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 49

Tue 11-Aug-09 05:15 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with Brian...buy what you need and want today or you'll miss a whole bunch of great photos while waiting. I personally can't imagine why someone would want video, however good or bad, on a three thousand dollar DSLR but to each his own. I love my 700 and can't imagine I'll need anything more.

gwelland

Vancouver, US
304 posts

#53. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 52

Tue 11-Aug-09 05:28 PM

>I love my 700 and can't imagine I'll need anything more.

Hee hee ... how many times have I heard that over the years?

------
Graham

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#54. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 53

Tue 11-Aug-09 07:08 PM

>>I love my 700 and can't imagine I'll need anything more.
>
>
>Hee hee ... how many times have I heard that over the years?
>
>

But this time it's true! Or at least that's what Nikon (and Canon) are afraid of. Hence, they want to pull in a new crop of consumers with something entirely new that will take years to perfect. What could that be?

gwelland

Vancouver, US
304 posts

#55. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 54

Tue 11-Aug-09 07:34 PM | edited Tue 11-Aug-09 07:38 PM by gwelland

Don't misunderstand me - I love my D700 & D3x and I think we're now at parity level to where technology and camera capabilities match where we were with the F100/F5/F6 film cameras. I.e. they pretty much do everything we NEED with the ease of use and picture quality that meets or exceeds our output capabilities. I do think that the current FF Nikons can be safely bought and used for a long long time without any real need for more resolution, more features or more anything really - just like the level we were(are) at with the last generation of film SLRs.

However ... if Nikon were to offer me an upgrade of my D3x with the high ISO capabilities and speed of the D3/D700, along with 16 bit image processing and 16 stop DR, then of course I'd be tempted. Ditto with the D700.

The way things are progressing with image processing how long do you think it will be before capabilities like focus bracketing, instant HDR capture, more instant and fool proof AF, 100% effective in camera VR etc etc come along for mainstream Nikon cameras?

My point is never say never ...

------
Graham

jbateham

US
189 posts

#56. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 34

jbateham Registered since 29th Mar 2006
Tue 11-Aug-09 08:55 PM

Agreed on the love for the Nikon system. Love the Canon, but love is not a strong enough word for how I feel about my D3. The ergonomics and speed of the D3 make the camera transparent. I get so many more shots now than I used to.

Still, the Canon's video quality is second to none in the DSLR realm. Think about it: Canon's been in the video world for a lot longer than Nikon (as far as I know) and there's nothing wrong with trying to have the best of both worlds. Love the full frame and the fact that with a $15 adapter, I can use my Nikon glass.

That said, when the D700 with video comes out, I may cry

Even in our disagreements on the forum, at the end of the day - we are Nikonians!

Jason
Azelle Photography

Blog

Ruahrc

Ann Arbor, US
1267 posts

#57. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 13

Ruahrc Registered since 08th Jul 2007
Tue 11-Aug-09 11:39 PM

I don't think anyone looking to buy a D300/D700 can justifiably call themselves "cheap" At least not for a good 5 more years hehe

Norman

Some of my pictures

T42

Atlanta, US
301 posts

#58. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 55

T42 Basic Member
Wed 12-Aug-09 09:35 AM

Hello Fellow Nikonians.

I am looking to buy a D700 very shortly.

All I ever wanted in digital was a digital film plane on the back of an F2. It looks to me like the D700 is about as close as it will get to that at an "affordable to me" price point. My only, and minor, quibble with the D700 is Nikon's intentional dumbing down to a fractional 95% viewfinder, while keeping 100% FX viewing with their upline products. But Nikon always did this.

To me, simple things like intuitive, direct access to controls, minimal menu wading, good low light performance, support of old Nikkors, and a truthful, bright viewfinder are far more important than long lists of useless twinkleblinkie features designed by marketeers to attract a mostly photographically ignorant public, and which is easily swayed by glitzy marketingspeak.

Video on the next D700 whatever? I really don't care as long as it does not get in the way, or increase the likelihood of equipment failure.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." ~~ Albert Einstein

I plan to use a lot of old manual focus Nikkors with a D700. Is that working out alright for those of you who have tried this? Is 12 Mpxl good enough for them? Would 24 Mpxl be overkill for those old optics?

Thanks for reading my rant.

Henry Fisher

A Nikonian Dinosaur since the days of Merlin
F, F2, M3, K4a

ssmumich00

US
429 posts

#59. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 15

ssmumich00 Registered since 20th Mar 2009
Wed 12-Aug-09 06:49 PM

>>You could have gotten a D700 for $2500 last October. Now
>the price is back up to $3000.
>
>Haha, funny,- However, I couldn't buy one last October and it
>had nothing to do with price, it had to do with me buying a
>house and not wanting to spend $2500 on a camera.
>
>The D700 is on B&H now for $2350, btw, and a D700s will
>bring that lower. I have a camera and some patience and only
>a desire for FX, not a burning need. So like everything I
>desire, but don't need, I buy it when I feel...
>1. I can afford it
>2. It is a good deal.
>
>Frankly though, I am what Thom Hogan calls a late adopter. I
>bought a D200 late, late, late, and got it brand new for $800
>- and it is still taking great images. I hope to buy a D700
>under similar circumstances.

LOL, David, I think, in a non-homosexual way, you are my e-purchasing-camera soul mate. . .

I waited on my D200 until I got it for $599 (literally this year)!!

Late adopter? I'm a sleeper. . .got the 17-55 f/2.8 only this year as well . . .

And am eagerly waiting on the D700 to drop to "normal" levels, something in the sub $1k range. . .I'm just learning how to maximize the D200, so hopefully learning's will carry over. . .

I do think it'll be a D700x not s. . .simply because, price points won't make sense for Nikon otherwise:

D300s = $1695
D700 = $2395 (or so)
D700x =$3395 (or so, best guess)

I'm assuming a $1k difference because the D3 is currently $4300, and couldn't let the D700x eat into that too much (it'll obviously be slower than the D3x and D3 to prevent too much erosion). . .

yelcab

San carlos, US
924 posts

#60. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 58

yelcab Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2006
Wed 12-Aug-09 09:34 PM

about 100 years ago, someone said that all the inventions worth inventing had already been invented and that nothing new will be coming under the sun.

That person was wrong.

If anyone feels that nothing else from Nikon (or Canon) will entice some to spend more money for camera, I would guess that person is also wrong.

Nikon is not about to close up shops and go home because nothing is worth inventing, anymore.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#61. "RE: Who wants a D700Xs" | In response to Reply # 11

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 12-Aug-09 10:51 PM | edited Thu 13-Aug-09 12:15 PM by RRRoger

>
>
>Yes !
>
>24 full frame, 12 DX crop
>
>and Video !!!
>
>I want Video !! on FX.
>
>and I want it now.
>
>A
>
I vote for that.

FullFrame HD 1080 Video with AF, and Full manual controls.
24mp FullFrame stills.
2 SDHC slots.
Faster processing and Higher ISO than a D3X.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#62. "RE: Who wants D700Xs" | In response to Reply # 45

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Wed 12-Aug-09 11:10 PM

I bet they think everybody wants video capability and an Apple Macbook too.
>Answer: that's true, the Canon 5D MkII continually sold out
>nationwide and Apple the only computer company showing a significant increase in a down economy?
>
Wow! You just gave me a great idea.
We should start taking orders now for the D700Xs and MacBook bundle.

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#63. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Thu 13-Aug-09 12:49 AM | edited Thu 13-Aug-09 12:52 AM by ZoneV

I can think of 2 additions to the D700 that would be nice: video and the "Q" quiet mode of the D300s. Other than those, there's not really much else that I can think of. Ok, maybe the second card slot if they can fit it.

Regarding video: I don't get why so many are against it. For years, I was "against" AF. It didn't bother me that my camera (an N90s) had it. I simply just didn't use it. But its presence wasn't an issue.

Nikon user since 2000

rorywquin

UK
102 posts

#64. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 8

rorywquin Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2006
Thu 13-Aug-09 12:56 AM

>
>
>On a recent vacation, I saw someone high on a ridge
>overlooking a beautiful landscape. He's holding his camera
>phone and recording a video of the view. Meanwhile, myself and
>a few other DSLR users are waiting to get a chance to get a
>few shots from the outlook. Seemed kind of odd, as we carried
>"real" gear up the hill while this guy just pullled
>out a cell phone.
>

>Ralph.

Ralph,

Maybe he is not as fortunate as you and can't afford a good camera. The fact that you chose to carry "real" gear up there doesn't give you any more right to the scene that the guy with the camera phone. I understand your frustration but.......

EpicDan

St. Paul, US
711 posts

#65. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 58

EpicDan Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 13-Aug-09 01:05 AM

"To me, simple things like intuitive, direct access to controls, minimal menu wading . . ." Nikon does well with their menu system. Digital gives you a lot more control in-camera. Control requires options; options require decisions; decisions require education. All is not lost. Once you create your style there are generally very few items to change on the camera.

Depending on the source of information your lenses will or will not handle digital. My opinion is they will be perfectly fine as long as you don't upgrade to newer glass. The newer stuff has a lot of additional tech. I think your glass will look great so long as you don't do a side-by-side compare. Quality old glass may still hold it's own. Borrow or rent a newer kit and compare with your lenses on a digital body.

12 mpixel is good enough for your glass. I feel 12 mpixel is equal to or better than film at the camera's base ISO (D2x or newer.) Digital is better at higher ISOs. Film may beat digital on long exposures but I don't have a time standard for that comparison. I stopped shooting film when I bought a D2x.

Your milage may vary.

Daniel

Daniel McGowan

Hammam

Montreal, CA
503 posts

#66. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 27

Hammam Basic Member
Thu 13-Aug-09 09:58 AM

>Amen DVDMike,
>For folks that don't want video in a DSLR, that's fine!
>However, for us aspiring amateur film-makers, this is a really
>exciting feature.
>
>My advice for the video haters is this: Don't use the
>feature!
>

But still pay for it? No thanks. I'd rather spend the added cost on some REAL improvement on the photo side. And I just hate the ugly holes the put there for microphone and such.

Hammam

Hammam

Montreal, CA
503 posts

#67. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 66

Hammam Basic Member
Thu 13-Aug-09 10:17 AM | edited Thu 13-Aug-09 10:21 AM by Hammam

Take the few added hundreds dollars for video and spend it on:

A better 100% viewfinder,
Foolproof dynamic range,
Real good emulation of some colour films (Velvia, Portra series, Astia...)

and above all

Real good emulation of some B&W FILMS: Tri-X, APX 100, FP4, HP5...

THAT, I will buy.

Or, come up with an F3 with a digital back dedicated to film-like b&w, no screen, no nothing. The ISO dial changes the ISO, period. Any time. Yummy...

Hammam

animagix

Brooklyn, US
261 posts

#68. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

animagix Registered since 15th Jun 2007
Thu 13-Aug-09 12:03 PM

I'd rather get a d700x. I'm looking forward to spending $5000 on a top notch 24mp camera.

Designer and Photographer
http://fotoartbyme.blogspot.com
D7K and D700
Zeiss 100mm f2 Makro
Nikon 10.5 2.8 fisheye, 24 1.4G, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 VR II, 50 1.4G, 85 1.4G, TC20e III

T42

Atlanta, US
301 posts

#69. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 65

T42 Basic Member
Thu 13-Aug-09 08:12 PM

>"To me, simple things like intuitive, direct access to
>controls, minimal menu wading . . ." Nikon does well
>with their menu system. Digital gives you a lot more control
>in-camera. Control requires options; options require
>decisions; decisions require education. All is not lost.
>Once you create your style there are generally very few items
>to change on the camera.
>
>Depending on the source of information your lenses will or
>will not handle digital. My opinion is they will be perfectly
>fine as long as you don't upgrade to newer glass. The newer
>stuff has a lot of additional tech. I think your glass will
>look great so long as you don't do a side-by-side compare.
>Quality old glass may still hold it's own. Borrow or rent a
>newer kit and compare with your lenses on a digital body.
>
>12 mpixel is good enough for your glass. I feel 12 mpixel is
>equal to or better than film at the camera's base ISO (D2x or
>newer.) Digital is better at higher ISOs. Film may beat
>digital on long exposures but I don't have a time standard for
>that comparison. I stopped shooting film when I bought a D2x.
> >
>Your milage may vary.
>>Daniel

Thanks for your insight, Daniel! On the strength of your endorsement, I ordered a D700 today from B&H. $2399.

Henry Fisher

F, F2, M3, K4a

JACK9019

SAN DIEGO, US
51 posts

#70. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

JACK9019 Registered since 29th Nov 2005
Thu 13-Aug-09 09:35 PM

Since my primary focus is on landscapes and large prints the D700X (24mp)is the camera I would like to see ASAP. Nikon will be making a huge mistake if this camera is not released soon----too many people are moving to Canon for the higher mps. There will be a D700s but will probably be introduced in the 2 year cycle as per D300s.

-----------------------------------------
There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. Ansel Adams

Jack Cunningham www.PhotoArtbyCunningham.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=82085

T42

Atlanta, US
301 posts

#71. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 60

T42 Basic Member
Fri 14-Aug-09 12:23 AM

>about 100 years ago, someone said that all the inventions
>worth inventing had already been invented and that nothing new
>will be coming under the sun.
>
>That person was wrong.
They certainly were wrong. And I'm not disagreeing with that point either.

>If anyone feels that nothing else from Nikon (or Canon) will
>entice some to spend more money for camera, I would guess that
>person is also wrong.
>
>Nikon is not about to close up shops and go home because
>nothing is worth inventing, anymore.

Right twice more, and again I have said nothing to the contrary. My thought is that sometimes when we stack features into a product, just to appeal to whatever the public might be convinced to buy, we run the risk of complicating things that might have operated better if left simpler.

Consider, for example, the excellent quality Swiss Army knife. All those features. Fit and finish second to none. But anyone who owns one of the models with many features has learned first hand that a feature rich Swiss Army knife does not constitute a well appointed tool box of simple, purpose made tools.

That which is not does not break. Oftentimes simple has not only advantages of being purpose made and optimized for a task, but also the advantage of being more dependable and durable. I suppose I will always compare digital SLRs with what an F2 or M3 is. Even as I buy a D700, I fully expect the M3, F, and F2 I use to be functional long after the D700 has gone to computer gloryland.

One may rest assured, however, I will drive the D700 until its wheels fall off, just like this old XP PC I am typing along on just now. I am thrilled that my old glass will work on it.

Thanks for reading my very prejudiced rant.

Henry Fisher

F, F2, M3, K4a

EpicDan

St. Paul, US
711 posts

#72. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 69

EpicDan Silver Member Charter Member
Fri 14-Aug-09 01:25 AM

Very cool Henry. You are stepping into the top of the food chain there. The D700 is an awesome machine. You are familiar with SLRs so be prepared to be underwhelmed by the controls and overwhelmed by the options. When it all gets to be too much just put it on Daylight balanced (like film) and full manual mode.

One of my first impressions of digital was that the screen was a total waste of time. It showed me *exacty* what I just photographed. What a waste! I just took the photo and could remember the shot. Duh! Then I found histograms and could relate them to proper exposure for the photo. Ah, the toys and tools of digital.

Play hard.

Daniel

Daniel McGowan

gwelland

Vancouver, US
304 posts

#73. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 72

Fri 14-Aug-09 03:45 AM

100% agree with what Daniel said. Henry I'm sure you'll enjoy your D700 - you made a great choice!

------
Graham

ejg1890

US
74 posts

#74. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 69

ejg1890 Registered since 16th Mar 2009
Fri 14-Aug-09 12:11 PM

>>"
>Thanks for your insight, Daniel! On the strength of your
>endorsement, I ordered a D700 today from B&H. $2399.

How did you get the $2399 price? I visited B&H website yesterday and this morning. The price is $2699 with the $300 rebate.

ejg1890

Visit
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33687707@N08/

my Nikonians gallery.

ejg1890

US
74 posts

#75. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 69

ejg1890 Registered since 16th Mar 2009
Fri 14-Aug-09 02:00 PM

>>
>Thanks for your insight, Daniel! On the strength of your
>endorsement, I ordered a D700 today from B&H. $2399.

Ignore my previous email. I called B&H. There every day price with rebate is $2399. However, the website is $2999 less the $300 rebate.

Visit
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33687707@N08/

my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#76. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 15-Aug-09 02:35 AM

We may not have to choose, Thom Hogan implied from reading Nikon's recent financial predictions for Sep - March, a number of new bodies and lenses are in the pipeline (although that included the recent end of July announcements).

This could mean that in addition to the expected D700X a D700S is not far on it's heels. Could be another tough year on the ole pocketbook

Personally, a D700S would be an agonizing release for me, since it would be pretty much exactly what I need for class-leading low-light video. What are people getting for their used D700 bodies these days?

Best regards, SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

T42

Atlanta, US
301 posts

#77. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 72

T42 Basic Member
Sat 15-Aug-09 12:40 PM

>Very cool Henry. ... You are
>familiar with SLRs so be prepared to be underwhelmed by the
>controls and overwhelmed by the options. When it all gets to
>be too much just put it on Daylight balanced (like film) and
>full manual mode.
I was wondering if it would be like that. At first I will have only manual focusing lenses. So, automation options will be limited anyway, I suppose. I may add a good quality AF short zoom later, or perhaps an AF 50.

>One of my first impressions of digital was that the screen was
>a total waste of time. It showed me *exacty* what I just
>photographed. What a waste! I just took the photo and could
>remember the shot. Duh! Then I found histograms and could
>relate them to proper exposure for the photo. Ah, the toys
>and tools of digital.
I have also wondered about whether or not I would find myself "chimping" along, or if I would continue as I have before with film. Just like you, I generally know whether or not I have the shot when the shutter is released. I have so much to learn about digital. I'm really glad you folks are here to help.

Happy day.

Henry Fisher

F, F2, M3, K4a

T42

Atlanta, US
301 posts

#78. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 73

T42 Basic Member
Sat 15-Aug-09 12:45 PM

>100% agree with what Daniel said. Henry I'm sure you'll enjoy
>your D700 - you made a great choice!
Thanks, Graham.

I'm very glad my decision meets your approval, and that there are Nikonians like you here to help show digi-beginners like me the way.

Henry Fisher

F, F2, M3, K4a

ssmumich00

US
429 posts

#79. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 70

ssmumich00 Registered since 20th Mar 2009
Mon 17-Aug-09 04:38 PM

>Since my primary focus is on landscapes and large prints the
>D700X (24mp)is the camera I would like to see ASAP. Nikon will
>be making a huge mistake if this camera is not released
>soon----too many people are moving to Canon for the higher
>mps. There will be a D700s but will probably be introduced in
>the 2 year cycle as per D300s.

I actually have decided to go the "old school route" and get a F5 + velvia film to capture the DR that I seem to be losing with my D200. . .I don't even think a D3x can rival the DR of film, but maybe I'm wrong?

Pro-pricing on the D700/D3/D3x bodies is too high right now to justify the benefits over film, I'm slowly realizing. . .

gwelland

Vancouver, US
304 posts

#80. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 79

Mon 17-Aug-09 05:42 PM

>I actually have decided to go the "old school route"
>and get a F5 + velvia film to capture the DR that I seem to be
>losing with my D200. . .I don't even think a D3x can rival the
>DR of film, but maybe I'm wrong?

Umm, Velvia and DR don't go together in my book I'm afraid. You might well have a nicer highlight roll off but there's no way you've got more information in the shadows.

I think that the film/digital boat sailed long ago and if ultimate DR is what you are looking for then I think you'll find that the D3x/D3/D700 have a greater effective DR range than the 5-7 stops of slide film.

------
Graham

JACK9019

SAN DIEGO, US
51 posts

#81. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 79

JACK9019 Registered since 29th Nov 2005
Mon 17-Aug-09 06:53 PM

>>Since my primary focus is on landscapes and large prints
>the
>>D700X (24mp)is the camera I would like to see ASAP. Nikon
>will
>>be making a huge mistake if this camera is not released
>>soon----too many people are moving to Canon for the
>higher
>>mps. There will be a D700s but will probably be introduced
>in
>>the 2 year cycle as per D300s.
>
>
>I actually have decided to go the "old school route"
>and get a F5 + velvia film to capture the DR that I seem to be
>losing with my D200. . .I don't even think a D3x can rival the
>DR of film, but maybe I'm wrong?
>
>Pro-pricing on the D700/D3/D3x bodies is too high right now to
>justify the benefits over film, I'm slowly realizing. . .

I have to agree with gwelland and there are many articles on this on the web. Velvia is 5-7 stops and D3X is rated 9-11 stops. Here is a link to test results for different cameras (stops rated at very low noise). http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3X/D3XIMATEST.HTM

-----------------------------------------
There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. Ansel Adams

Jack Cunningham www.PhotoArtbyCunningham.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=82085

LuisGonzalezLT

Macedonia, US
969 posts

#82. "Why do people ask questions like these ???" | In response to Reply # 0

LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005
Thu 20-Aug-09 01:02 AM

It's like asking whether you prefer music by Sting, The London Symphony Orchestra, or Spyro Gyra.

To have or not to have (video). That is the question.

Let's see. My PDA cell phone has 3MP still and video - but the quality somewhat still stinks. Yet, if it were the only device available as the plane crash unveiled itself before me ... maybe it not stinketh quite so much.

And all those times I don't decide to take my prosumer hidef camcorder along, cause it's just such a bother... but I happen to have this video option in the D-SLR that actually takes better video than my hidef camcorder... and with the lenses I have provides alot more CREATIVITY.

And, wow, the professional videographer sure spends A TON OF CASH on professional video gear, which, frankly, doesn't look as good as some of the mateial I have been seeing coming out of hidef video capable D-SLRs, especially when you consider the multitude of lenses. WAIT! You mean I only have to buy ONE set of lenses and we can use them interchangeably for both the still AND video business? hmmmm. I see major $$$ savings there. Oh, but someone said that because of that the D-SLR costs $200 more than it should. Geez - I'll spend that in a heartbeat if it means I save $10K on video camera lenses and video cameras.

Let's face it people - the cell phone, camera and video camera are on the merger path. Someone commented about D-SLRs having cell phones. Well, by the time that DOES happen, I doubt it will really be called a D-SLR anymore.

Technology is primarily about convenience. And having ONE device that can do everything is what most people in the world want. Would you really be disappointed with a device the size of, let's say, a PDA phone that has small interchangeable lenses that produces 12MP stills with as good of quality and low noise as a D700, and also provides full 1080P high quality video? You think the iPhone was hard to get when it came out?????

Luis Gonzalez
Everlasting Photography, Inc

Bangkok Paul

Bangkok, TH
597 posts

#83. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 43

Bangkok Paul Gold Member Charter Member
Fri 21-Aug-09 08:30 AM

>>Why do you care about 30P? There's lots that needs to be
>>improved in the Nikon's video, but I didn't think the
>frame
>>rate was at the top of the list.
>
>Because 24P looks awful if you're trying to pan, or show any
>motion in your video. Manual audio controls would be another
>important feature now that I really am thinking about it.

That's another advantage of having the 8oz TG-1 in your pocket for video. Not only do I get higher def 1920x1200 pixels, but I get 60 FIELDS per second (on the NTSC version)which I can boost to 240 fps for short periods of time.

D3, D700, D300, D2X & D200
New 14-24 F2.8 too!
If your not shooting Nikon your doing
it WRONG!

My Nikonians Gallery

coreyography

US
72 posts

#84. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

coreyography Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2009
Fri 21-Aug-09 10:14 PM | edited Fri 21-Aug-09 10:15 PM by coreyography

I think I'd want a D700c with cell phone first

Seriously, I'll assume that the few shortcomings of the D700 would be addressed in a follow-on (at least the ones that are software-related), in addition to adding new features. And I'll also assume that Nikon won't make any quality compromises when adding the new features.

So based on that, I'll take......video.

I don't need the 24MP, and don't relish the thought of pushing all of them around on the PC. And the low-light performance probably won't be as good as my current D700, in spite of the amazing work Nikon has done wih the D3x's sensor, unless they do something like Sony and move the circuitry in the sensor to a second level behind the light plane or something.

But having good video capability would be a boon for me. I wouldn't use it to replace a high-end video camera, but for situations like my last trip to the San Diego Zoo, being able to flip a knob and shoot short video clips would have been fantastic (as it was, I used my cell phone). I'm not a pro photographer, but I am a Leatherman/multitool junkie, so maybe that explains my opinion

That said, I agree with a few other posters here, that Nikon will include both to compete directly with the Canon 5DMkII.

Someday I'll have my own Nikonians gallery.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#85. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 84

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sat 22-Aug-09 02:30 PM

>I don't need the 24MP, and don't relish the thought of pushing
>all of them around on the PC. And the low-light performance
>probably won't be as good as my current D700, in spite of the
>amazing work Nikon has done wih the D3x's sensor, unless they
>do something like Sony and move the circuitry in the sensor to
>a second level behind the light plane or something.

Alter the circuitry integration inherent in CMOS design and you lose the more economical manufacturing cost provided by CMOS, but then get a chance to reconsider the (technically) superior quality advantages (and use of) the best CCD sensor designs.

>I'm not a pro
>photographer, but I am a Leatherman/multitool junkie, so maybe
>that explains my opinion.

You mean there's someone out there who isn't a Leatherman/multitool junkie?

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

MichaelAlan

Lancaster, US
355 posts

#86. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 85

MichaelAlan Registered since 25th Sep 2008
Mon 24-Aug-09 11:00 AM

I will be the first in line when that D700x gets released. I could do without the video or "s" upgrade since that is just more of the same.

-----------------------------------
Photography Workshops: www.inlightinworkshop.com

My Photography: www.ParamourPhoto.com
My Blog: www.ParamourPhoto.net

chrislam

Limal (near Brussels), BE
53 posts

#87. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

chrislam Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2005
Tue 25-Aug-09 04:38 PM

Hi,

Since I have the full frame D700, I found back the pleasure of the full frame film photography. Before, I owned a D70 and a D200 which were excellent cameras, but in both cases I was missing "something".
The D700 still remains one the best FF cameras on the market which exceeds most of the expectations of a normal photographer. If the marketeers invent a D700S X Y or Z, I won't switch and certainly not for the video gadget which, imho, has nothing to do with a pro level reflex.
If needed, I use my Canon video camera which can take photos (feature I never use for the same reason as explained before) and is especially made for movies... or I use the Nikon Coolpix of my young daughter

EYES WIDE SHUTter...
Christian
Belgium (EU)

sabesh

Mississauga, CA
24 posts

#88. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 1

sabesh Registered since 27th Jan 2007
Tue 25-Aug-09 05:34 PM

I don't understand the anti-video brigade. I don't think it costs all that much to put in. If you don't want it, just don't use it. Good grief.

jaydoc40

Kannur, Kerala state, IN
102 posts

#89. "RE: TE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 30

jaydoc40 Gold Member Charter Member
Mon 31-Aug-09 01:31 PM

TH
There is a D300S avaiable in the market for you. It has got two card slots
jayanth narikkuni

MikeGuilbault

Barrie, CA
17 posts

#90. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 87

MikeGuilbault Registered since 27th Jun 2009
Thu 03-Sep-09 12:37 AM

I'm just about ready to purchase a D700 and want to do so before an 's' version comes out. I'm not interested in video and even if it costs only $50 more - I'd rather not spend it on something I'm not interested in using. I know I know - there's probably a dozen or more 'functions' on a D700, D300, heck, even my long gone D1 that I didn't use and still paid for - but if I can get a D700 for less than a D700s, then that's the way I'll go.

Mike Guilbault
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
http://www.PhotographyWorkshops.ca
http://www.MGphotography.com

geoffc

San Pedro, US
132 posts

#91. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 0

geoffc Registered since 21st Apr 2008
Sun 13-Sep-09 06:47 PM

Ok, I just don't have time to chase rumors and read the bazillion speculative posts regarding Nikon releases.

So, could any of you kind Nikonians give me a guess of when the next announcement/release date will be?

I have and love a D300. But since I've been actually making money shooting architecture lately, and have offers to shoot some friends' weddings, I am compelled to consider the D700 sooner than later.
I'd wait and be patient, but problem is, renting one (to get the full frame capability for jobs now) can run $250+/week.

I wouldnt mind the video, but am just fine with 12mp and would kill for the high iso performance (aka, d700s sounds great).

But if anyone has any actual announcement dates, it can help me to make up my mind whether to keep renting d700 bodies for a couple months, or go ahead and purchase a d700 asap.

Does Nikon tell us when they'll announce new products, like Apple does?

Bach Photo

Racine, US
19 posts

#92. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 1

Bach Photo Registered since 20th Jul 2003
Wed 16-Sep-09 05:15 PM

I do! But not for the video, I'd like the dual card system like my D3 or the new D300s. That would be worth the upgrade.

Mike
www.bachphotography.com

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#93. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 91

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Fri 18-Sep-09 02:51 AM

Short answer is no confirmed announcements scheduled, but Thom Hogan implies early October.

Recently rumored to come next are D700X, D3S, and D700S (take your pick). No real way to know which if any are coming next.

D3 definitely seems to be out of stock all over (not just USA). D700 is not out of stock locally. Read into that what you will

Two lenses coming too, according to Mr. Hogan.

Best regards, SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

Gordy

AU
470 posts

#94. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 93

Gordy Registered since 24th Apr 2006
Fri 18-Sep-09 10:17 AM

The MX rumour has reared it's head again if the postings of a German subscriber on the Fred Miranda forums are to be believed.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#95. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 93

Fri 18-Sep-09 10:42 AM

>D3 definitely seems to be out of stock all over (not just
>USA). D700 is not out of stock locally. Read into that what
>you will

The D3 seems to be in stock at major photo retailers in Canada (Henry's, Vistek and others), Jessop's in the UK (in-store), Calumet in the UK and at other retailers in various countries including a few in the U.S. I think that majors such as B&H and Adorama have lots of D3 inventory on backorder because those retailers simply aren't carrying as much big ticket stock in the midst of a recession. Sales of those sorts of items have slowed everywhere no doubt, perhaps moreso in the U.S. (hardest hit of the G8 in this recession), and inventories these days tend to reflect what's affordable as much as possible. That's what I read into low inventories of big ticket items in a recession. Opinions vary of course.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

mitchman

Kennewick, US
133 posts

#96. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 95

Mon 28-Sep-09 11:16 PM

I saw this article which reminded me of this thread:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/cmon_why_are_we_180_degrees_out_of_phase/

---------

geoffc

San Pedro, US
132 posts

#97. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 91

geoffc Registered since 21st Apr 2008
Tue 29-Sep-09 01:01 AM

btw, if anyone cares, about a day or 2 after I posted the above questions, I just went ahead and ordered the D700, and canceled my rental for one for my upcoming jobs.

As far as waiting for the next great announcement, my logic went that:
-even if something I'd lust after is announced, it'll be months before I can get one, and I have jobs now that require FX
-it'll probably be $1000 to $1500 more than the current D700's
-realistically, I don't 'need' video right now (but would be fun occasionally)
-and most of the internet rumors think it'll be a 24mp version, which I have no real interest in. I want high iso and FX.

I suppose I'll only regret it if they come out with a 24mp version, same iso capability, with 1900x1200 video, and near the same price..... heh. Then pigs will fly too, right?

oh, and I suppose I should add (to no amazement of anyone on this subforum) I am absolutely loving the D700!

Disposition

Atlanta, US
30 posts

#98. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 5

Disposition Registered since 02nd Oct 2009
Fri 02-Oct-09 03:38 AM

>NO! No video, please. Next thing you know they come up with a
>DSLR with an integrated cell phone!
>
>As for 24 megpx, hmm... If I will be shooting for huge
>billboards, maybe, otherwise, no thanks. I won't give up the
>great noise-free images of the D700 (or the D3) at 3600 ISO.
>
>Hammam

I really don't understand this whole "billboard" reference everyone keeps making about 24mp sensors... It's not about printing large. It's about being able to crop and work the photo over with editing and manipulation, especially if one is doing commercial work and doesn't have $15,000 for a medium format camera (those are upwards of 60mp sensors...).

Commercial photographers' prints are no larger (usually) than a magazine page or a poster. Yet, they require high-resolution sensors.

I NEED a 20+mp sensor in a D700-like body, for a D700-like price. And I'm not printing billboards.

Disposition

Atlanta, US
30 posts

#99. "RE: Who wants D700s before D700X" | In response to Reply # 6

Disposition Registered since 02nd Oct 2009
Fri 02-Oct-09 03:42 AM

>For myself, I don't want either.
>
>I've got absolutely no interest in video. And for almost all
>my pictures, the extra resolution would just have meant larger
>files without any relevant gain.
>
>I'm sure that there are customers for both a video capable
>D700s and for a higher resolution D700x - and I'm certain sure
>that one is more important than the other from a market
>standpoint.
>
>Personally, I would be more interested in a 100 % view finder,
>improved white-balance capability, a better spacing of the AF
>points and similar more evolutionary changes - but I guess
>they don't have enough marketing value to be anything but
>possible extra features that might happen - but probably
>won't.
>
>Anyway, I don't expect to upgrade to any new D700 -x / -s or
>even -xs. All in all, I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

I agree. It'd be nice for a product and R&D to actually focus on getting the little things right before moving on to silly ad-on features.

For me, the perfect Nikon would be a D700-seized body, 100% view-finder, 24mp sensor (full frame), nice spacing on the AF points, good in low-light (ISO performance), and etc.

Before even looking at video.

And let's not forget the price...

G