Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)

gregmiller

US
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gregmiller Registered since 11th Feb 2007
Tue 29-Jul-08 06:26 PM

Here a couple nice new features on the D700 that are not available on the D300:

1) Viewfinder blackout switch. The D700 has a little lever that mechanically blacks out the viewfinder. So if you are using an autoexposure mode and don't have your eye against the viewfinder, you flip the lever to black out the viewfinder and not have light entering the viewfinder affect the meter reading when the shutter is tripped. (the D300 and D200 are supplied with a little cover that was never handy when I wanted it).

2) Improved diopter setting. The D700 has a diopter setting that you pop out and then rotate. This prevents accidentally changing the diopter setting (which I have done on my D300)

FWIW - the CF door seems to be fine without the lever.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#1. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 29-Jul-08 06:26 PM

The viewfinder shutter works well - an advanced feature on a camera that deserves it. I thought the lack of a viewfinder shutter on the D300 was odd. I always used the viewfinder shutter on my F90x when shooting from a tripod during the day.

I can't remember the number of times I thought my D300 had a focus problem every time I accidentally moved the diopter dial. The D700 inherits the locking diopter dial from the D3.

I still don't like the slide out CF door. I've already accidentally slid it open when lifting the D700 out of my camera bag. I'll quickly get into the habit of grabbing it properly, but it's a small annoyance for now.

The biggest difference for me (and one of three main reasons I traded in my D300) is the high ISO/low light performance of the D700.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

camerabug99

Pasadena, US
62 posts

#2. "Focus assist, visible horizon, more assignable buttons" | In response to Reply # 0

camerabug99 Registered since 02nd Dec 2003
Wed 30-Jul-08 05:13 AM

The low light ability is fantastic, but there are lots of small things that just make the camera a pleasure to use.

I have a manual focus lens, and on the D700 you not only get the focus assist spot, but also arrows to indicate which way to turn the lens.

The visible horizon is a great feature for wide angles and tripods. You can see it on the back screen, or in the viewfinder. You can assign the preview button to this feature, and use it for hand held shots.

Bob Rose

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#3. "RE: Focus assist, visible horizon, more assignable buttons" | In response to Reply # 2

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 30-Jul-08 10:26 AM

I've got Virtual Horizon assigned to the FUNC button. I've been using VH on and off for a couple of days. Handheld, it's accurate enough in terms of leveling, but seems only useful as a quick reference in compositions in which there aren't any fully vertical or horizontal elements that can be aligned (or leveled) by observing the viewfinder gridlines.

Tripod use is another matter. If your tripod or head doesn't have a built-in spirit level, VH should work as long as your head can be adjusted smoothly enough to accommodate what appear to be the slightly coarse increments of the VH sensor.

I was also thinking that any photographer with a physical or vision limitation of some sort that makes it difficult to hold and adjust a camera would find the VH feature of great help.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

dazman47

Tacoma, US
388 posts

#4. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 0

dazman47 Registered since 25th Sep 2007
Wed 30-Jul-08 11:13 PM

New feature I believe is the "Attach copyright information" in the setup menu.

Dave
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

#5. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 0

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Thu 31-Jul-08 07:39 PM | edited Thu 31-Jul-08 07:42 PM by BJNicholls

These are nice touches, although I actually prefer a standard rectangular finder to Nikon's round, threaded eyepieces. Slip on accessories are more convenient although screwed-on accessories can be more secure. Watch out for eyecups - I lost a couple from my F100 before resorting to blue Loctite. You only find viewfinder shutters with round eyepieces in the Nikon line. I've never accidentally changed a diopter setting on a rectangular finder body, but I'm sure it can happen. On the other hand, I'd prefer an accurate 100% finder to either of the D700's nice finder touches.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

camerabug99

Pasadena, US
62 posts

#6. "95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 31-Jul-08 08:01 PM | edited Fri 01-Aug-08 04:43 AM by camerabug99

I also have the D300 with a 100% viewfinder. I can't really notice any difference. For people shots and landscape, this will probably be a non-issue. What kind of shooting do you do that requires the accurate 100% viewfinder, if I may ask?

Most of my enlargements go to 11x14 or 16x20, so I usually crop anyway. I just ordered a new screen for my D300 which shows the 8x10 crop lines.
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Nikon-DSLRs--cat_nikon.html

Bob Rose

IntegrityPhotos

Deerfield, US
1253 posts

#7. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 6

IntegrityPhotos Registered since 26th Apr 2006
Fri 01-Aug-08 03:51 PM

Greg
The two items you mention are standard on Nikon "pro" bodies, into which category the D700 seems to fit. As for the viewfinder cover for the D200/D300, they are made to fit the proprietary strap and do so quite well. I have mine slotted in between the two strap layers where it's doubled up at the buckle for extra protection. Hasn't fallen out yet!

PS: By the way, the same cover fits most of the "prosumer" bodies like the D70, D200 and D300.

OldPhotos
"If everyone possesses some measure of this intangible quality called creativity, photography is unprecedented as an outlet for its expression." - Ansel Adams

gregmiller

US
10 posts

#8. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 7

Fri 01-Aug-08 06:35 PM

Yep - that why I added "(not available on D300)" to the subject line. It seems the common impression is that the D700 is a D300 body with a D3 sensor. So D300 users may not know to expect these things.

Than is interesting about he camera strap. I have never used the Nikon straps. I prefer a low key camera strap (without a yellow "Nikon" emplem)to downplay the fact that I have an expensive camera hanging around my neck.

IntegrityPhotos

Deerfield, US
1253 posts

#9. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 8

IntegrityPhotos Registered since 26th Apr 2006
Sat 02-Aug-08 01:33 AM

LOL! With any of these current Nikon cameras, the strap is the least of my concerns about giving an "expensive" feel to it. Just the large DSLR body and lenses I use does that! Even the least expensive ones have the yellow Nikon logo on the straps, so it's just the number nomenclature that would give it away, and that's not as noticable.

OldPhotos
"If everyone possesses some measure of this intangible quality called creativity, photography is unprecedented as an outlet for its expression." - Ansel Adams

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#10. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 9

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sat 02-Aug-08 02:11 AM

Yesterday I received the Nikonians strap to replace the standard D700 strap. Now I have a REALLY prestigious strap!!! And, it is a vast improvement in comfort. Seriously, I found the standard strap quite uncomfortable given the additional weight of this camera along with the 24-70 lens that is my "walk around" lens.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

gregmiller

US
10 posts

#11. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 9

Sat 02-Aug-08 09:39 AM

When you are in a crowded urban area, it isn't a great idea to advertise to people BEHIND you that you have an expensive camera around your neck. I'll stick with a black camera strap that doesn't scream "Nikon".

Philip Weber

Idyllwild, US
110 posts

#12. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 11

Philip Weber Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2008
Sat 02-Aug-08 12:09 PM

I agree on not advertising the brand, if only for security.

I have been using "UPstraps" for a while now and love them. Very strong, never slip and I like the "quick release" ability too.

Phil

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#13. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 11

Sat 02-Aug-08 12:23 PM

>When you are in a crowded urban area, it isn't a great idea
>to advertise to people BEHIND you that you have an expensive
>camera around your neck. I'll stick with a black camera strap
>that doesn't scream "Nikon".

I have heard, third or fourth hand, about people who've been the victims of snatch & dash thieves. But I've never actually met anyone first-hand who has lost any gear to snatch & dash thieves. I know it happens because I've traveled to some nasty areas at home and abroad in which I've seen obvious thieves 'casing' my gear.

Published and widely available crime stats and analysis from Canada, the U.S., UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy show that 85% of all thieves only look for targets of opportunity however. In fact, somebody walking down the street with a camera slung over their shoulder or neck along with a camera bag and one hand on the camera body is a very difficult proposition for a thief who just wants to run in and run out as fast as possible. While I don't want to minimize the real gear losses that some people in this forum may have suffered due to thieves, stats from around the world seem to show that the vast majority of tourist camera gear is stolen out of unguarded camera bags, when the owners' attentions are elsewhere. Little kids in some countries are drafted to hang around local tourist sites in some cities and simply watch for tourists to put their camera bags (or large purses or whatever) on the ground when they sit down to rest or take a photo unencumbered by their load. The signal is given to the lurking thief and the gear is stolen while the tourists' attentions are elswhere. The same thing happens in restaurants, museums and airports. Actual assaults by thieves attempting to run up or run by and rip a securely strapped camera or bag from someone's shoulder are very rare. Physical muggings, in which a tourist or photographer is confronted at gun or knife point in a secluded area, are even more rare.

The word "Nikon" or "Canon" on a neck or shoulder strap is only a hint for any thieves that happen to be about to try and check out what's actually slung or stored in the bag. The fact is, experienced thieves know that an uncomfortably large percentage of what at first glance looks like Nikon, Canon, Rolex, Breitling, Louis Vuitton, etc., is not the real article. I think most people realize that thieves don't steal goods for their own use. They steal in order to sell goods for cash to a Fence or Pawnbroker. Too many thieves have been badly 'burned' by risking arrest and imprisonment for what turned out to be fake goods. Even in the poorest areas, a Nikon strap is often only a warning sign rather than a green light.

Throughout decades of travel, a determined attitude when walking (always have a destination in mind, but wander as you please at the eventual destination), the habit of always hanging onto my gear, and never, ever shouldering so much gear that I end up sweating and exhausted with my bag sitting on the ground beside me while I rest (far too many gear hounds haul around far too much on a day walks and night walks, and general walkabouts), has helped keep thieves away from me and my gear.

Knowing your route while walking is also a good idea. Plan your route while you're still at the hotel. Gazing vaguely about in public while referencing a map book offers an opportunity for a thief to walk up and ask if you need any help. If you need to reference your map book while walking, do yourself a favor and stop at a cafe for a cold drink or a coffee.

The main reason I don't use Nikon straps - I'm hooked on UpStraps these days by the way - is that they're stiff pieces of irritating junk suitable only for use on top of a thick jacket or heavy shirt collar. I don't like heavy gear slung around my neck and the camera maker's straps are by & large useless on the shoulder - they're just too insecure because they slide off the shoulder too easily. As far as I'm concerned, they're truly meant to be little more than an excuse to display the camera maker's logo in a prominent spot. I see quite a few people in many places around the world using the branded strap supplied with the camera, and I just don't understand why the camera owners haven't replaced them with vastly more comfortable and useful third-party straps. UpStraps are heavy duty and perfectly designed for shoulder carry.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

gregmiller

US
10 posts

#14. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 13

Sun 03-Aug-08 11:07 AM

I'm sure sure statistics are accurate, for tourists. But many situations that I work in would never be associated with tourists. I have many assignments that find me in neighborhoods, and at times of day in which I don't feel comfortable either with our without expensive camera gear. So having a neckstrap with "Nikon" emblazoned on it just isn't smart, and so I just don't do it.

IM

Apex, US
14 posts

#15. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 0

IM Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2005
Sun 03-Aug-08 11:24 AM

The positive click of the multi-selector switch on the D700 makes it almost impossible to accidently change the focus point. This is a nice feature to me as a left-eyed shooter. I have to be careful not to let my nose touch the camera on other models. It's a small feature but makes using this camera so comfortable.

IM

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#16. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 14

Sun 03-Aug-08 01:37 PM

I find myself in similar areas from time to time. But I avoid Nikon straps in the first place because they're terrible, so I never even get to any considerations about inadvertently advertising the brand of gear I'm using. I use UpStraps on my camera bodies because they're tough, refuse to slip off my shoulder, can be worn around the neck if needed and also appear unbranded.

In Banja Luka (more or less Bosnia-Herzegovina) and Split (Croatia) in early June on a research project, there were plenty of people eyeing me and my partner's gear not because they wanted to steal it, but because expensive gear indicated the possibility that I might be carrying lots of Euros or U.S. cash or credit cards. Cash is much more interesting than the gear to many people in many places. Our regular minders keep the hounds at bay, but we still always have to be alert and smart about displaying gear in certain situations.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

niko phil

Maine, US
159 posts

#17. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 16

niko phil Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2008
Sun 03-Aug-08 04:26 PM

>I use UpStraps on my
>camera bodies because they're tough, refuse to slip off my
>shoulder, can be worn around the neck if needed and also
>appear unbranded.

This exchange of 3-4 messages is all I've ever seen on camera straps. Very interesting. The UP straps seem to be the favorite. I looked at their site and wondered what the benefit of the QR type was? When does one need quick-release? One strap with two cameras?

Since that QR feature nearly doubles the cost of the strap, people's advice here would be appreciated.

Regards,

- - Phil
D300s, 10-20mm HSM Sigma, 16-85mmVR, 18-200mmVR
F4s, 20mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8D, 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D, 70-200mmVR f/2.8. 80-400mmVR f/4.5-5.6D

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#18. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 17

Sun 03-Aug-08 09:13 PM

>This exchange of 3-4 messages is all I've ever seen on camera
>straps. Very interesting. The UP straps seem to be the
>favorite. I looked at their site and wondered what the
>benefit of the QR type was? When does one need quick-release?
> One strap with two cameras?
>
>Since that QR feature nearly doubles the cost of the strap,
>people's advice here would be appreciated.

I think that if you carry two bodies and don't switch frequently, but rather use one body for an hour or more then switch to the other body for another long session, the QR option is for you. One QR strap model, an second pair of QR extensions and you're all set.

If you own two or three bodies but don't usually carry more than one at a time, again it makes sense to purchase one UpStrap QR model and as many QR extensions as you need.

If you regularly carry a couple of bodies with lenses attached and switch cameras several times an hour, or if you regularly have two bodies around your neck or on your shoulders at the same time, then the QR approach is impractical in the first instance and impossible in the second instance.

The UpStrap is a piece of high quality rubber-ish compound of some sort with integrated traction stubs and a high friction surface. Even leaning over at severe angles with a camera on one shoulder does not force the UpStrap to slip. Of course the strap can get bumped and shift from time to time, but I believe it's the best shoulder strap on the market. While it's not designed to be worn around the neck, you can use it that way. But I think most people might find it less comfortable around the neck/collar than most of the newer crop of wide, elasticized neck straps (Lowepro, Kata, OpTech, Optex and branded versions like the Nikonians model).

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

gregmiller

US
10 posts

#19. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 17

Mon 04-Aug-08 08:20 AM

QR is nice when switching from hand held shooting to tripod shooting. I find straps a PITA when shooting form a tripod. The strap gets in the way and flaps around if windy. So it is nice to be able to quickly remove it or re-attach it as desired.

>>I use UpStraps on my
>>camera bodies because they're tough, refuse to slip off
>my
>>shoulder, can be worn around the neck if needed and also
>>appear unbranded.
>
>
>
>Regards,

Waterboy

Pittsburgh, US
71 posts

#20. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 5

Waterboy Silver Member Charter Member
Mon 04-Aug-08 12:41 PM

No worries with losing eye cups....you cannot unscrew them when the eyepiece shutter is OPEN. (Like the F6) To unscrew the eye cup you must close the eyepiece shutter. PLEASE don't get Loctite anywhere near a camera!

A photographer makes the picture....the gear only helps!

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#21. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 19

Mon 04-Aug-08 01:36 PM

>QR is nice when switching from hand held shooting to tripod
>shooting. I find straps a PITA when shooting form a tripod.
>The strap gets in the way and flaps around if windy. So it is
>nice to be able to quickly remove it or re-attach it as
>desired.

Good point. The rubber UpStrap shoulder pad is really well designed but also has some substance to it and a decent breeze can cause it to thump against the sticks. QR makes sense.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

#22. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 19

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Mon 04-Aug-08 02:19 PM

>QR is nice when switching from hand held shooting to tripod
>shooting. I find straps a PITA when shooting form a tripod.
>The strap gets in the way and flaps around if windy. So it is
>nice to be able to quickly remove it or re-attach it as
>desired.

Same with shooting from a monopod. Seems like the strap is always getting in the way. I use the Nikonians Pro strap, which also has QR, and appreciate the ability to remove the strap when shooting from either kind of support.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

niko phil

Maine, US
159 posts

#23. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 17

Mon 04-Aug-08 04:31 PM | edited Mon 04-Aug-08 04:32 PM by niko phil

Thanks for the comments ... I decided to order an UP Strap-QR ...

Looks like it'll meet all my needs - even on a tripod.

Regards,

- - Phil
F4s, 20mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8D, 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D, 70-200mmVR f/2.8. 80-400mmVR f/4.5-5.6D

ileicanikon

Gastonia, US
8 posts

#24. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 15

ileicanikon Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005
Mon 04-Aug-08 09:58 PM

I endorse the UP Strap as well and would like to offer another reason the quick release is handy. If you switch between smaller lenses and big glass the strap can be moved to the attachment on the lens. All that is required is a second set of end pieces and UP Strap offers a set with 1 inch webbing that fits the lugs on the 200-400 as well as the other big primes. I tried an UP Strap a few years back and now have them on all my bodies as well as a shoulder bag.
Some of my efforts can be seen here:
http://www.cnpa.org/show_gallery.php?order=name&id=915&region=all
Edgar Payne

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#25. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 24

Mon 04-Aug-08 11:29 PM

>I tried an UP Strap a few years back and now have
>them on all my bodies as well as a shoulder bag.
>Some of my efforts can be seen here:

http://www.cnpa.org/show_gallery.php?order=name&id=915&region=all

Your shot of Mabry Mill is wonderful.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

ibshortie

Pittsburg, US
54 posts

#26. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 24

ibshortie Registered since 29th Mar 2007
Tue 05-Aug-08 05:58 AM

>I endorse the UP Strap as well and would like to offer
>another reason the quick release is handy. If you switch
>between smaller lenses and big glass the strap can be moved to
>the attachment on the lens. All that is required is a second
>set of end pieces and UP Strap offers a set with 1 inch
>webbing that fits the lugs on the 200-400 as well as the other
>big primes. I tried an UP Strap a few years back and now have
>them on all my bodies as well as a shoulder bag.
>Some of my efforts can be seen here:
>http://www.cnpa.org/show_gallery.php?order=name&id=915&region=all
>Edgar Payne

You have a lot of beautiful pictures,very sharp. Nice subject matter.

DKESLERFL

Miami (Coconut Grove), US
3198 posts

#27. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 12

DKESLERFL Registered since 21st Mar 2003
Tue 05-Aug-08 12:55 PM

I agree. They are a joy to use, unpretentious, and don't take up much space in the bag like those giant neoprene Optech ones.

Regards,

Don Kesler

http://www.donaldkesler.com

Through the judicious use of adjustment layers, no pixels were actually harmed in the processing of my shots..

MarkF

Northern Virginia area, US
195 posts

#28. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 0

MarkF Registered since 20th Dec 2005
Thu 07-Aug-08 02:55 PM

Hey, what happened to the "Nice New Features" thread?

I havent seen anyone mention this one:

The D700 has a slight hump next to the C S M focus mode selector switch; I assume its to reduce the chance one will bump the switch into the wrong position. I don't remember that hump being there on the D300.

Oh yea, while I like the idea that Nikon gives us a free strap, I went and purchased the Nikonians strap.

MarkF

D800
I still own an F100; do you think film will make a comeback?

basharar

Dubai, AE
13 posts

#29. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 28

basharar Registered since 13th Jan 2008
Thu 07-Aug-08 04:34 PM

You can assign a lot of functions to the function/preview button, such as instant change of color profiles, also you can scroll the menus with the dial...

PaulBennett

US
321 posts

#30. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 29

PaulBennett Registered since 09th May 2008
Sun 10-Aug-08 02:56 AM

I was going to reply asking if everyone discovered the flash attachment contact cover. But learned about and checked out the 'Upstrap QR system' but find it what I've almost been looking for except it's gay.

The camera strap is male male and the neck strap female female instead of mixed. If the camera had one side male and 'tother was female snaps, you could hook it together for carry strap. And the neck strap would allow an easy extension and mixing with other carry items. I'll have to call and ask if the mix is available to make it far more useable and an instant purchase to me.

niko phil

Maine, US
159 posts

#31. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 30

Sun 10-Aug-08 10:57 AM | edited Sun 10-Aug-08 01:18 PM by niko phil

Hi Paul Bennett:

Since starting this subthread, I've bought an UPStrap QR and am ecstatic with it!

I noticed that as well and inquired about that possibility last week. I got a very reasonable response that he does NOT offer it for 2 reasons (paraphrased):

1) having inverted connections on left vs. right sides would increase chances of confusion and accidental decoupling

2) the straps attached to the camera would, when joined together to carry, would have the connectors exactly when your hands would go for a handle and that would not be comfortable for heavier cameras and that location would also increase risks of inadvertent decoupling.

Cheers,
Niko Phil
>The camera strap is male male and the neck strap female female
>instead of mixed. If the camera had one side male and 'tother
>was female snaps, you could hook it together for carry strap.
>And the neck strap would allow an easy extension and mixing
>with other carry items. I'll have to call and ask if the mix
>is available to make it far more useable and an instant
>purchase to me.

- - Phil

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#32. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 31

Sun 10-Aug-08 12:44 PM | edited Sun 10-Aug-08 12:54 PM by agitater

Lowepro QR models are made the same way - with jacks on the neck strap and receivers on the pigtails attached to the camera rings. Makes it impossible to attach things the wrong way around just at UpStrap says.

>PaulBennett said:
"I was going to reply asking if everyone discovered the flash attachment contact cover. But learned about and checked out the 'Upstrap QR system' but find it what I've almost been looking for except it's gay."

Gay? Doesn't make sense. I think the use of word here is inappropriate and, more important, inaccurate.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

camerabug99

Pasadena, US
62 posts

#33. "Color Filter Detection with SB-900" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 10-Aug-08 12:56 PM

Here is another nice feature.

The SB-900 comes with filters that have codes to tell the camera which filter is attached. The D700 (and D3) can make use of this information, making is much easier to use these filters. When the D700 is set on AUTO or FLASH color balance the filter info is sent to the camera and white balance is adjusted accordingly.

Bob Rose

niko phil

Maine, US
159 posts

#34. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 32

Sun 10-Aug-08 01:09 PM | edited Sun 10-Aug-08 01:17 PM by niko phil

Agitater:

You seemed to be replying to mine but quoted someone else's post. It was my post that presented the reasons for UP Straps using male connectors on the camera attachments and female connectors on the main strap.

Wanted to add tha UP Strap offers a nice carry "handle" to plug into that portion of the connector straps attached to the camera lugs.

Cheers,
Niko Phil

>Lowepro QR models are made the same way - with jacks on the
>neck strap and receivers on the pigtails attached to the
>camera rings. Makes it impossible to attach things the wrong
>way around just at UpStrap says.

- - Phil

ibshortie

Pittsburg, US
54 posts

#35. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 32

Sun 10-Aug-08 01:33 PM

>
>Gay? Doesn't make sense. I think the use of word here is
>inappropriate and, more important, inaccurate.

I thought that was a perfect description. I knew exactly what they meant. Male to male and female to female would definitely be gay.

niko phil

Maine, US
159 posts

#36. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 35

Sun 10-Aug-08 01:46 PM | edited Sun 10-Aug-08 01:48 PM by niko phil

Hi Ibshortie:

I think you're wrong on this for two reasons. While I knew what they meant, too, but their statements are poorly expressed. Read my reply and it's clearer.

It should be a technical discussion not about PC issues.

The UP Strap QR connectors are NOT M-to-M or F-To-F, I own and use one and all its connectors are M-to-F!

Regards,
Niko Phil

>>
>>Gay? Doesn't make sense. I think the use of word here is
>>inappropriate and, more important, inaccurate.
>
>I thought that was a perfect description. I knew exactly what
>they meant. Male to male and female to female would
>definitely be gay.

- - Phil

ibshortie

Pittsburg, US
54 posts

#37. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 36

Sun 10-Aug-08 01:58 PM

>Hi Ibshortie:
>
>
>I think you're wrong on this for two reasons. While I knew
>what they meant, too, but their statements are poorly
>expressed. Read my reply and it's clearer.
>
>It should be a technical discussion not about PC issues.
>
>The UP Strap QR connectors are NOT M-to-M or F-To-F, I own and
>use one and all its connectors are M-to-F!
>
>Regards,
>Niko Phil
>
>>>
>>>Gay? Doesn't make sense. I think the use of word here
>is
>>>inappropriate and, more important, inaccurate.
>>
>>I thought that was a perfect description. I knew exactly
>what
>>they meant. Male to male and female to female would
>>definitely be gay.

Sorry my bad, if the connections are male to female then they are normal. I was responding to the person who said the terminology didn't make sense. I think most people here knew exactly what the original poster was saying.

I don't own the strap so I can't argue the point of which type connectors are used.

ibshortie

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#38. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 34

Sun 10-Aug-08 02:12 PM

>Agitater:
>
>You seemed to be replying to mine but quoted someone else's
>post. It was my post that presented the reasons for UP Straps
>using male connectors on the camera attachments and female
>connectors on the main strap.

I replied to your post, but I also quoted from someone else's in the same thread. No worries.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

niko phil

Maine, US
159 posts

#39. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 37

Sun 10-Aug-08 04:21 PM

No biggie - just wanted to clarify for others ...

The OP described them correctly (both ends of the main strap are F and connect to M connectors on the strap pieces which mount/attach to the camera) and said he thought it would be good if the left side (for example) were F on the main strap and and M on the right side, so, when the main strap was removed, the pieces on the camera would connect to each other (M to F) without buying additional items from UP Strap.

Cheers,
- - Niko Phil

>
>Sorry my bad, if the connections are male to female then they
>are normal. I was responding to the person who said the
>terminology didn't make sense. I think most people here knew
>exactly what the original poster was saying.
>
>I don't own the strap so I can't argue the point of which type
>connectors are used.
>
>ibshortie
>

- - Phil

niko phil

Maine, US
159 posts

#40. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 38

Sun 10-Aug-08 04:23 PM

>>Agitater:
>>
>>You seemed to be replying to mine but quoted someone
>else's
>>post. It was my post that presented the reasons for UP
>Straps
>>using male connectors on the camera attachments and
>female
>>connectors on the main strap.
>
>I replied to your post, but I also quoted from someone else's
>in the same thread. No worries.
>

I found it confusing that's all, but agree, no worries.

Cheers,

- - Phil

DrRoebuck

Los Angeles, US
24 posts

#41. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 17

DrRoebuck Registered since 01st Dec 2007
Sat 23-Aug-08 01:57 PM

>>I use UpStraps on my
>>camera bodies because they're tough, refuse to slip off
>my
>>shoulder, can be worn around the neck if needed and also
>>appear unbranded.
>
>
>
>Regards,
I have the up-strap with QR, but I don't typically use the strap. Instead, I use the up-strap wrist strap. Since I'm usually carrying the camera in my hand, I wanted something secure for it. The QR strap allows me to quickly decide whether I use the strap.

niko phil

Maine, US
159 posts

#42. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 41

Sun 24-Aug-08 02:09 PM | edited Sun 24-Aug-08 02:10 PM by niko phil

>>This exchange of 3-4 messages is all I've ever seen on
>camera
>>straps. Very interesting. The UP straps seem to be the
>>favorite. I looked at their site and wondered what the
>>benefit of the QR type was? When does one need
>quick-release?
>> One strap with two cameras?
>>
>>Since that QR feature nearly doubles the cost of the
>strap,
>>people's advice here would be appreciated.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Niko Phil

>I have the up-strap with QR, but I don't typically use the
>strap. Instead, I use the up-strap wrist strap. Since I'm
>usually carrying the camera in my hand, I wanted something
>secure for it. The QR strap allows me to quickly decide
>whether I use the strap.

Good point, DrRoebuck ... Since my post a month ago that you quoted, i got the UP Strap QR and have been VERY happy with it. It is more than able to reliably carry my D300 and 18-200VR lens comfortably with the rubber anti-slip pad. It stays wherever the pad is set on my shoulder. Terrific!
I think the wrist strap is a good idea to use when I'm carrying the camera and want it instantly available. I use the full strap when I'm carrying the camera and lens a long time and don't have any advance certainty of immediately needing to take a shot.

Thanks,

- - Phil

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#43. "RE: Nice new features on D700 (not available on D300)" | In response to Reply # 4

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sun 24-Aug-08 02:51 PM

One could use the comment feature for this is the older dSLRs but it is nice to have both.

Do you know which EXIF taq it places this on, the XMP or ITPC copyright tag?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#44. "RE: 95% Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 8

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sun 24-Aug-08 02:55 PM

Once I got a Nikon F, I went to 3rd pary wide foam straps just for comfort. I also try not to advertise my equipment with obvious bags and staps. The size of the camera and lens is enough.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

G