Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF-ON follow up questions

56chevy

Austin, US
208 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
56chevy Registered since 05th Oct 2008
Sat 18-Jul-09 03:36 PM

I have asked about AF-ON before -- and "thought" I understood it -- but please bear with me as I do still have some issues with this approach.....

Here is the way I understand to set up and use AF-ON -- and would like to know if it is correct -- then a couple of questions.

Custom setting a5 to AF-ON only
Switch to AF-C mode
Set a1 to "Release Mode" - Question -- do I HAVE to do this -- what is the point of a bunch of OOF pictures -- can I leave this setting in "Focus" mode?

To take a shot of a "still" subject - position your focus point on the subject - press and release the AF-ON button -- and recompose if needed - then take the shot by pressing the shutter
VR activates at half press of the shutter

To take a shot of a moving subject - position your focus point on the subject - press and HOLD the AF-ON button. If you are in "single point" you would need to track the subject by moving the camera -- if you are in Dynamic AF area - you can hold your camera still and allow the camera to "track" the moving subject.

Is this correct ?

Assuming the above is correct -- my main quesions are:
1) Since I really don't shoot a lot of moving subjects (not a birder or sports shooter) I don't like the idea of setting my AF-C release mode to "Release" -- can't I set this to "Focus" ? Would it still work this way ?

2) When using the AF-ON focusing method -- do most of you set your switch to "single point" or Dynamic AF area ?

3) If you set it to Dynamic AF area -- how many "points" do you have yours set to (9, 21 or 51) ?

Hope this all makes since -- and Thanks in advance for your replies

Art
"Feels so good feeling good again"

Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US
1761 posts

#1. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 0

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006
Sat 18-Jul-09 03:07 PM

If you do not use Release priority you may find that when you recompose and the selected focus point is not on an in-focus subject that the shutter will not release. Release Priority does not mean that you intend to take out of focus shots. Rather it is used so that the shutter will release during times in which the camera does not recognize that the subject IS in focus.

56chevy

Austin, US
208 posts

#2. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 18-Jul-09 04:10 PM

Not trying to be hard headed here -- but wouldn't that mean that the picture is indeed OOF ?

Thanks

Art

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 18-Jul-09 04:32 PM

>...but wouldn't that mean that the picture is indeed OOF ?

No.

The scenario you describe is to focus on your chosen subject using the AF-ON button, then release the button and re-compose.

As long as neither the main subject nor the camera have moved, the main subject will still be in focus, but you must set CS a1 to Release Mode. With it set to Focus Mode, the camera will not allow you to take the picture if, after re-composing, the selected AF point is covering an object at a different distance compared with that of your main subject.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

WestTexasShooter

Stanton, US
24 posts

#4. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 0

WestTexasShooter Registered since 12th Feb 2009
Sat 18-Jul-09 04:43 PM

1) I use only AF-ON and I do not allow the shutter button to do the focusing since I do not like to have one pic in focus and another trying to refocus the same shot. AF-ON in my opinion is the best way and to turn off the shutter focus.

2) I do not believe there should even be a single point since why buy a high end camera with the great technology for taking great pictures.

3) I use 21 points in the Dynamic area and only use the 51 points when I am in just point and shoot mode which I use when I am out goofing off or handing my camera to someone that does not know how to use it.

You do not have to be a birder or sports shooter to use these settings. Once you teach yourself to just use the AF-ON and turn off the shutter AF you will not want to go back to the default setting. I have not lost as many pics anymore since I switched to this setting and also make sure you set your focusing switch to C so it will always get the shot without trying to refocus each time.

Thanks to Mike Hagen that taught me to do this on my D700.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

56chevy

Austin, US
208 posts

#5. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 18-Jul-09 04:57 PM

>1) I use only AF-ON and I do not allow the shutter button to
>do the focusing since I do not like to have one pic in focus
>and another trying to refocus the same shot. AF-ON in my
>opinion is the best way and to turn off the shutter focus.
>
>2) I do not believe there should even be a single point since
>why buy a high end camera with the great technology for taking
>great pictures.
>
>3) I use 21 points in the Dynamic area and only use the 51
>points when I am in just point and shoot mode which I use when
>I am out goofing off or handing my camera to someone that does
>not know how to use it.
>
>You do not have to be a birder or sports shooter to use these
>settings. Once you teach yourself to just use the AF-ON and
>turn off the shutter AF you will not want to go back to the
>default setting. I have not lost as many pics anymore since I
>switched to this setting and also make sure you set your
>focusing switch to C so it will always get the shot without
>trying to refocus each time.
>
>Thanks to Mike Hagen that taught me to do this on my D700.

West Texas Birder
Thanks for the reply
So -- do you have your D700 A1 setting to "Release" or "Focus"

this is one of the main things I am trying to figure out
specifially on a moving subject

Thanks

Art

WestTexasShooter

Stanton, US
24 posts

#6. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 18-Jul-09 05:25 PM

I have my A1 setting to Release since I do not focus with the AF-C only focus with the AF-ON

56chevy

Austin, US
208 posts

#7. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 6

Sat 18-Jul-09 05:40 PM

But the switch at the front of the camera HAS to be set to either AF-C, AF-S or M

Using AF-ON you still HAVE to use one of the above -- right ?

So, I have been told to use AF-C when controlling focus with the AF-ON button --

Based on the above -- I still would like to understand if one MUST set the A1 setting to Release -- or can you use Focus ?

Thanks again

Art

WestTexasShooter

Stanton, US
24 posts

#8. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 7

Sat 18-Jul-09 05:47 PM

The switch on the left bottom of the camera leave it set to C and if you use a flash set it on S. C will let you take picture after picture and S you have to push the AF-ON each time you want to take a pic.

If you get the Mastering the D700 that just came out will explain some of this or take one of the Nikonians Academy classes for mastering the D700. I did both of these and it has been the best help I have done for learning to use my D700 and my SB flashes.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#9. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 7

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 18-Jul-09 05:49 PM | edited Sat 18-Jul-09 05:56 PM by briantilley

>Based on the above -- I still would like to understand if one
>MUST set the A1 setting to Release -- or can you use Focus ?

In the circumstances you describe (focusing then re-composing), you must use Release Mode for CS a1. Did you see reply #3 above?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

adcam

Portland, US
598 posts

#10. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 7

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007
Sat 18-Jul-09 05:49 PM

I'm no expert, but you put the front switch to AF-S and the AF-ON button will work BUT you still have to set A1 to release so that it does not refocus when you recompose.

56chevy

Austin, US
208 posts

#11. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 9

Sat 18-Jul-09 06:58 PM

Brian
Yes sir -- I did see reply 3 above.

However, I was trying to describe "two" circumstances or situations in my original post

1) On a still subject -- press and release the AF-ON button
2) for a moving subject- press and HOLD the AF-ON button

So, I guess I still don't understand my original question -- being --

"If" I use A1 "release mode" in BOTH of the above situations -- won't some of my pictures be out of focus since I am allowing the camera to take the pictures even if there is NO focus ?

Just trying to understand

Thanks in advance

Art

WestTexasShooter

Stanton, US
24 posts

#12. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 11

Sat 18-Jul-09 07:07 PM

I see you are wanting the camera to focus all the time. I do not use this mode due to the fact it does change too much and I have lost a lot of practice shots. I set the AF-ON button to a position that when I push it it is like pushing the shutter button half way down to focus. I do not use the shutter button anymore and set it to work with the AF-ON button which only focus' when I push it and when released it does not focus anymore. There are just some functions that Nikon should not even put on the camera in my opinion.

Nielsen

NO
750 posts

#13. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 10

Nielsen Registered since 11th Jun 2007
Sat 18-Jul-09 08:19 PM

This will help you understand : https://www.nikonians.org/nikon/d200_multi-cam_af/
Kind regards
Nielsen

56chevy

Austin, US
208 posts

#14. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 13

Sat 18-Jul-09 10:47 PM

OK guys -- I just finished reading Thom Hogan's coverage of this topic in his Complete Guide to the Nikon D700 -- and I understand it much better now

Thanks for you all being patient with me -- I appreciate it

Wish me luck

Art

Hammam

Montreal, CA
503 posts

#15. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 14

Hammam Basic Member
Sun 19-Jul-09 12:54 PM

All good advice here, but just to clafiry the whole matter of using he AF-ON button: to set auto-focus to the AF-ON button (AF-ON button ONLY) is a setting in itself. It does not involve having to change anything to the rest of the AF functions like «Release» on AF-C or number of AF points, which would have the same effect wether you use the shutter release or the AF-ON to engage auto-focus. That's how I always use my D700: focus with AF-ON only, and meter with half-press of the shutter release, and hold (or use AE-L ONLY). This way, I can focus on one part of the image and meter on another. If you recompose a lot, AF-C may change your point of focus, wether or not it's set on «Release» or «Focus».

Hammam

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#16. "RE: AF-ON follow up questions" | In response to Reply # 15

Sun 19-Jul-09 01:25 PM

>All good advice here, but just to clafiry the whole matter of
>using he AF-ON button: to set auto-focus to the AF-ON button
>(AF-ON button ONLY) is a setting in itself. It does not
>involve having to change anything to the rest of the AF
>functions like «Release» on AF-C or number of AF points, which
>would have the same effect wether you use the shutter release
>or the AF-ON to engage auto-focus.

That's true, as far as it goes, and it's certainly isn't essential to use the AF-ON only approach. One of the great things about Nikon's implementation of autofocus control is that it is flexible enough to suit different ways of working.

But when you think it through, the combination of AF-ON only and Continuous Focus mode is pretty powerful. Decoupling AF from the shutter release allows the photographer to be in complete control of when the camera is attempting to autofocus and when it isn't, without having to change between AF-S and AF-C from one shot to the next.

As pointed out above, using AF-ON only when you're focusing on a static object and then re-composing requires you to select "Release Mode", otherwise the camera may refuse to fire.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

G