Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

need help with camera protective case with d700

zedbadee

Richmond, CA
154 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zedbadee Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Registered since 05th Jun 2007
Mon 06-Jul-09 02:50 PM

Hi fellow Nikonans
I just bought a protective for my d700- how does one cut the camera/lens/flash shapes into the black foam properly? thanks in advance for any tips Ken

MEMcD

US
31311 posts

#1. "RE: need help with camera protective case with d700" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 06-Jul-09 02:33 PM

Hi Kenneth,

What brand of case did you purchase?
Does it have the pre-cut pull and pluck foam?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

zedbadee

Richmond, CA
154 posts

#2. "RE: need help with camera protective case with d700" | In response to Reply # 1

zedbadee Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Registered since 05th Jun 2007
Tue 07-Jul-09 01:17 PM

Hi Marty
see picture the left hand foam has small squares and the right hand foam is just foam. the case ia no name brand

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

gwelland

Vancouver, US
304 posts

#3. "RE: need help with camera protective case with d700" | In response to Reply # 2

gwelland Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2003
Tue 07-Jul-09 04:16 PM

The Pelican case instructions suggest using tooth picks to lay out the extremities of the equipment and then remove the foam afterwards.

Personally I'm pretty adept at putting the camera/lens on top of the foam and then determining the dimensions conservatively and plucking out the foam core. You should have a very snug fit at this point or slightly undersized hole. I'll then trim out the final foam to accommodate the equipment comfortably.

------
Graham

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Assumer

US
50 posts

#4. "RE: need help with camera protective case with d700" | In response to Reply # 3

Assumer Registered since 15th Jul 2007
Thu 09-Jul-09 10:26 AM

Anytime I have needed a good fit, I put the camera on top of the foam, make a chalk outline,then cut it a little smaller for a snug fit.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G