Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?

mbushnell

Berkeley Heights, US
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mbushnell Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Sun 27-Jul-08 08:23 PM

Up until now, all of my digital imaging has been using Point & Shoot cameras (currently a Canon PowerShot SD900).

Just about all of my non-digital imaging has been on slide film, currently using a Nikon N90s and a Nikon F3.

My SLR lenses that I normally use are a Nikor AF 35-70 f2.8 and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8

I've been thinking about getting a DSLR, & was just about ready to get a D300, but now the D700 comes along.

The way that I understand it, if I go the D700 route, I my current lenses would provide an image of comparable size to 35mm film, whereas to get a similar sized image with a D300, I would have to get a wider angle lens, correct?

I don't know what features that I would loose by using my current lenses with a D700, so that is something that I would have to look into.

Thanks for any information.

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#1. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Sun 27-Jul-08 10:44 PM

"The way that I understand it, if I go the D700 route, I my current lenses would provide an image of comparable size to 35mm film, whereas to get a similar sized image with a D300, I would have to get a wider angle lens, correct?"

This is correct.

Those two lens will work fine on the D700.

I don't see any reason why anyone who is reasonably competent with the cameras you have should have trouble learning to use the D700, provided you don't try to learn everything about it at once. You can start out with the default settings and get very good pictures.

Enjoy!

Randy

Joves

Flagstaff, US
506 posts

#2. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 1

Joves Registered since 28th Jan 2006
Sun 27-Jul-08 11:30 PM

When I first read the title I thought Oh Lord! If all you shot with was a P&S then it would be too much for an entry into the Dslr realm but, since you have been shooting film with Nikon bodies, no it isnt too much of a jump. Granted you will have a good amount on your plate to learn but, it should come easy to you. Besides there will always be quite a few owners in here to help you, if you need it.

I shoot therefore, Iam.
http://joves.smugmug.com

mbushnell

Berkeley Heights, US
20 posts

#3. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 2

Mon 28-Jul-08 12:54 AM

>When I first read the title I thought Oh Lord! If all you
>shot with was a P&S then it would be too much for an entry
>into the Dslr realm but, since you have been shooting film
>with Nikon bodies, no it isnt too much of a jump.

Maybe I could of thought of a better Subject Title...

No, I've been seriously into photography since High School (early 1970's), and using Nikon film SLR's since the late 1980's. It's just that I haven't made the switch to a digital SLR yet. I have been using various P&S digital cameras for about 8 years now.

Nikon Bob

Thunder Bay, CA
547 posts

#4. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 0

Nikon Bob Registered since 16th Jul 2003
Mon 28-Jul-08 09:21 AM | edited Mon 28-Jul-08 09:22 AM by Nikon Bob

I was basically in the same boat as you are until I bought my D700. I had been using film Nikons including an F90x and just think of it as a digital F90x. I also have had a couple of digital P&S cams so the idea of having to use menus etc. was no big deal. I have used 2 of my old AF lenses and they work just fine for me. I don't think it would be very hard for you to make the jump to the D700, it wasn't for me.

Bob

Nikon Bob

kjanilse

Oslo, NO
74 posts

#5. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 4

kjanilse Registered since 12th Nov 2005
Mon 28-Jul-08 11:35 AM

You won't have a lot of trouble handling the camera, but you really have to learn how to process the pictures. There's just no end to what you can do with the D3/D700s NEF-files - the digital negatives.

Click on image to view larger version

mllanos1111

San Diego, US
231 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#6. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 5

mllanos1111 Registered since 15th Oct 2006
Mon 28-Jul-08 04:30 PM

I was the same as you when I first jumped in as well. I had many years of film experience so I got the hang of it pretty fast.
My only learning curve was learning to think in digital since it doesn't have much latitude. Since you've been shooting slide it should be easy because your latitude is about the same.

F6, D300, F3/T, FM2N

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Prowicz

UK
259 posts

#7. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 0

Prowicz Registered since 11th May 2008
Mon 28-Jul-08 06:12 PM

In terms of lenses and whether to get a D300 or a D700...

If you select a D300 the 70-200 will have an effective focal length of 105-300 mm and the other lens will have afocal length of approx 50mm to 105 mm. The D300 uses a DX sensoe with a 1.5 crop factor. So it depends whether you would you would rather more reach with the 70-200 and lose a bit on the wide angle and buy another lens to get you back to 35mm. Or get the D700 which will give you the same focal lengths you have with 35mm film. The main advantage with the D700 is it much broader ISO range. If you consider the above variables, and are happy shooting at a maximum ISO 3200 then the D300 is a superb camera and half the price of the D700. Both cameras share many, many features.

MArk.

--------------------------------------------------------

Mark (Prowicz)

South Wales, United Kingdom based NIKONIAN

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#8. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 0

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Mon 28-Jul-08 09:13 PM | edited Tue 29-Jul-08 03:17 AM by johno

I have been on the same path as you. Film -- P&S -- DSLR (DX) and now D700.

If you have the cash, get the D700 and don't look back. There is a joy of ownership with the D700 that will never be verbalized in any review, and which transcends technical pixel-comparisons.

If you take a lot of pictures of birds or distant small objects you might want a DX format. (Personally, while I respect exceptional wildlife work very much, I don't enjoy it myself.)

However, if you are wanting a camera that behaves like your old film bodies, skip DX and go right to a D700.

Then you can get a 50 MM 1.4 or 1.8 and a few other judicious lens buys and you are back where you were with film. For me DX just never felt right. It was nice having a bit more zoom, but....

Be advised -- there are many ways of looking at this and only one view that is right for you. I had to sell off three pieces of gear I loved to make this happen, and now there four people happy - the DX gear buyers and me. If they are as happy as I am (one buyer used the word "thrilled", the world is now a much beter place! And nobody has made a "wrong" decision.

The good news for you is that there are D300s coming up for sale that have been used no more than 8 months at a steep discount from new. The smart money is on a used D300 or a new D700 I believe.

mbushnell

Berkeley Heights, US
20 posts

#9. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 8

Tue 29-Jul-08 06:29 PM

Well, I bought a D700 from Unique Photo in Fairfield, NJ

Called them up & they had 2 in stock, so they put on on hold for me, then went up there & picked it up.

After I got back, my dad & I had to perform some repairs on an antique car that we have (replacing the electric fuel pump).

Now that I'm cleaned up, I can start having some fun with my new toy...

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#10. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 29-Jul-08 07:09 PM

johno said it best I think.

I loved my N90/F90x. Shot hundreds of rolls with it. The D700 and D300 are as much the advanced digital brothers to the N90/F90x & F100 as they are uniquely from-the-ground-up designs in many important respects. The fact is, Nikon (and some other makers) had this photography thing figured out a long time ago. The D300 and the D700 are literally extensions of your eyes, hands and fingers, moreso in most respects than the F100 and much moreso than the N90/F90x.

The D700 is a bit heavier than your N90. The D300 is almost identical in weight. Your 35-70 f/2.8 zoom will work beautifully on the D700. Same goes for the Sigma. I own the 35-70 and I believe it's better on the D700 and D3 than on any other Nikon bodies I've owned.

The D300 and the D700 will both provide you with excellent high ISO/low noise performance, with the D700 being clearly superior. But compared to the graininess inherent in even the best fast film, even the D300 will be a revelation for you. Couple the D300 with the superb Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 DX zoom and you'll have a combination which may make you forget the N90 and 35-70 quite quickly IMHO.

Of course it all costs w-a-a-a-y too much money.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

dkents

Newport Beach, US
11 posts

#11. "RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?" | In response to Reply # 0

dkents Registered since 10th Jul 2008
Tue 29-Jul-08 11:03 PM

Many years ago I had a Nikon 35mm SLR and later a Canon A-1 SLR. Years later I bought a Sony P&S and later a more advanced Sony P&S. Over time, I began to realize the limitations of using a P&S.

I have make the jump to a D700 and have had it for 4 days. So far, it appears to be all I hoped it would be and more. I have had no trouble jumping from a P&S to a D700 DSLR. The camera is very intuitive and the User's Manual is well written and easy to use.

If you have some background or experience in photography and want to move up, I see no problem making a D700 your first DSLR.

blackfeather

US
104 posts

#12. "....I would..." | In response to Reply # 11

blackfeather Registered since 16th Apr 2006
Wed 30-Jul-08 10:24 AM

...ease into it with a "lower horsepower" camera...just the fact they a SLR's there will be a learning curve. D200's are a good camera as is a D70s (if you can find one)....great image makers, and cameras to "learn" on...

G