New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Software Program to View Images

Sat 19-Jan-13 03:02 PM
Greetings. I am looking for a recommendations for a software program to simply open the image, see the metadata, make my selects and then import to exterior HD, cloud and then to Aperture.

Is there one solution for RAW and JPEG? Thank you for the help in advance...

Zapple
jrp jrp

Is from: San Pedro Garza García, MX
46140 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: Software Program to View Images" | In response to Reply # 0

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the two co-founders of Nikonians and has in-depth knowledge in many photograph... Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Sat 19-Jan-13 09:01 PM | edited Sat 19-Jan-13 09:05 PM by jrp
ViewNX2, and it is free

Have a great time! 😉
JRP
Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert Gallery, My Portfolio
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade
You want to do more for Nikonians? Please Donate here, we need your help.
You want to further improve your images? Visit the Post for Critique and Advanced Advice forums.

#2. "RE: Software Program to View Images" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 19-Jan-13 11:01 PM
Or Photo Mechanic which is pricey.

Or ACDSee which is not as pricey.
FredB D3 FredB D3

Is from: Indialantic, US
1499 posts

#3. "RE: Software Program to View Images" | In response to Reply # 0

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008
Sun 20-Jan-13 08:11 AM
Hi Zapple,

Have you tried Preview, provided with the Mac OS? It will open your images, allow you to view metadata, then export (I think you meant export, not import) to another location. I am not certain how you would export to iCloud (you might need to import them into iCloud). Then you could import your photos into Aperture from wherever Aperture allows this to be done (I do not use that application, and I use iCloud primarily for syncing contacts and calendars).

Select file, right click, and choose Preview to open.

Select files in Preview, then File, Export. Note that selecting photos in Preview is not the same as tagging them - the selection is ephemeral.

For Metadata, go to Tools, Show Inspector, then select desired menu item - General, Exif, GPS, etc.

Fred
Florida, USA

NorthBay NorthBay

Is from: Janesville, US
95 posts

#4. "RE: Software Program to View Images" | In response to Reply # 0

NorthBay Registered since 01st Jan 2013
Sun 20-Jan-13 10:08 AM
Irfanview is free, and opens just about anything (http://www.irfanview.com/), including NEFs. With the image open, click “E” to get the exif data, or “I” twice for iptc data. I have it associated with all the image file extensions (JPG, TIFF, NEF, etc), so I can double-click on file names and have them open instantly.

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

#5. "RE: Software Program to View Images" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 20-Jan-13 12:36 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. It use Preview and that is why I am looking for a viewer that has a touch more functionality and is less resource intrusive on memory, like Photo Mechanic but obviously at a steep cost. So I'm looking for something in between.

#6. "RE: Software Program to View Images" | In response to Reply # 4

Sun 20-Jan-13 12:41 PM
Thank you NB. Will give it a try this afternoon. Along with Photo Mechanic 20 day demo.

#7. "RE: Software Program to View Images" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 20-Jan-13 05:25 PM
Thank you of the ViewNx 2 suggestion. It seems light and fast which I like. My work flow was very simple: Copy images from Card to External HD, Computer, then burnt to DVD. I call this the "dump". I would take all the images and import into Aperture 3 and do most if my work from here...choosing my selects, deleting the rest, then catalog, keyword, rate and basic crop if needed.

I am considering adding ViewNX 2 to my workflow as it uses less resources on my already taxed iMac and Mac Book versus Aperture. My purpose is not to edit but simply make my selects, add GPS data and maybe a quick crop and get them into Aperture as a new Project.

Do you have any suggestions for me based on my description of the work flow? Additionally, what is your suggestion for importing the selects into Aperture? Should I make a new Select Folder from the dump folder and then import the Select folder into Aperture or should I import the selects directly from ViewNX into Aperture? Any suggestions on exactly how to do the import would be greatly appreciated as it will speed up my larning curve versus trial and error.

Thanks JRP

G