Help us keep the lights on:
Join this years fundraising campaign and get a limited edition supporter's cap.
Read more about our plans and needs for 2024 and beyond.

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Making PhotoMechanic the default import program on Windows

pwarbeck pwarbeck

Is from: Tucson AZ, US
275 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pwarbeck Registered since 24th May 2009
Tue 01-Jan-13 06:49 PM | edited Tue 01-Jan-13 06:52 PM by pwarbeck
I just installed PhotoMechanic v5 (PM) on Windows 7. Until now, I have been using Nikon Transfer 2 (NT2) as my import program. I want to start importing with PM, but I can't figure out how to do it.

When I connect my D7000 to my PC, I get a D7000 dialog. It gives me the option to change the import program, and gives the following list:

• Windows
  • Windows Live Photo Gallery
  • Picasa3
  • * NT2

*NT2 is the default

The list does not include PM.

Following a suggestion seen elsewhere, I went to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay and set Pictures to "Open or Ingest using PhotoMechanic." This has no effect as far as I can tell. The next time I connect the D7000, I get the same list of import program choices, and clicking "Import File" starts NT2.

What do I need to do?
dgillilan dgillilan

Is from: Williamsburg, US
2714 posts

#1. "RE: Making PhotoMechanic the default import program on Windows" | In response to Reply # 0

dgillilan Registered since 14th May 2006
Tue 01-Jan-13 07:19 PM

I also use Photo Mechanic 5 and you may have to go back into the control panel, hardware, autoplay, and choose "camera storage" and then "memory card" on the left, then browse to the choice for Photo Mechanic. This is what mine shows in Windows 8. I also have Windows 7 on the other computer along with PM5, and can check there if you need me to, it may have slightly different choices,
Debra

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067
My Zenfolio Gallery: http://debragillilan.zenfolio.com/
pwarbeck pwarbeck

275 posts

#2. "RE: Making PhotoMechanic the default import program on Windows" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 01-Jan-13 07:35 PM
I do not see "Camera storage" on the autoplay page. Here is what I see:

<240959.jpg>

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
pwarbeck pwarbeck

275 posts

#3. "RE: Making PhotoMechanic the default import program on Windows" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 01-Jan-13 09:48 PM | edited Tue 01-Jan-13 10:16 PM by pwarbeck
It gets stranger. I can't even "ingest" images into PM manually using File -> Ingest...

With my D7000 connected and PM running, I do File -> Ingest..., then (1) select "Ingest folders," (2) click the "Add" button, (3) browse to the folder Computer\D7000\Removable storage\DCIM\100D7000 and select it (see below). But nothing is added to the text box (indicated by ????).
Imglink tag to gallery image page removed since link broken (26-Feb-2019 08:20:44 by nikbot3)

However if I remove the SD card from the camera and put it into a card reader, the ingest works properly. Is this a bug or a feature?

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
dgillilan dgillilan

Is from: Williamsburg, US
2714 posts

#4. "RE: Making PhotoMechanic the default import program on Windows" | In response to Reply # 3

dgillilan Registered since 14th May 2006
Wed 02-Jan-13 05:17 AM

I see that in Windows 7 there is no choice for card storage, only "pictures". Be sure that you clicked "Save" at the bottom when you hit the choice for Photo Mechanic.
Also, in Photo Mechanic 5, under the top, edit, preferences, general, be sure you selected "show ingest dialog" under "on mount of camera disks" and then "apply" to save it.

Winston Hall, a Nikonians class instructor, has told me in several classes that one should use a card reader to ingest rather than the camera directly. So I always use a Lexar usb 3.0 card reader every time, to get my images onto my computers.

Debra

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067
My Zenfolio Gallery: http://debragillilan.zenfolio.com/
pwarbeck pwarbeck

275 posts

#5. "RE: Making PhotoMechanic the default import program on Windows" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 02-Jan-13 12:09 PM
Thanks, Debra. I tried your suggestion, but it didn't change anything. I'll use the card reader from now on. I know that connecting the camera directly is a drain on the battery, but I rarely have more than a dozen nef's on my card, and it has always been faster and more convenient to do so.
Kirk Baker

Is from: US
45 posts

#6. "RE: Making PhotoMechanic the default import program on Windows" | In response to Reply # 5

Kirk Baker Registered since 28th Feb 2009
Wed 02-Jan-13 02:45 PM
Photo Mechanic does not work with direct camera connections. You must use a card reader.

Kind regards,

-Kirk

Kirk A. Baker
Senior Software Engineer
Camera Bits, Inc.
pwarbeck pwarbeck

275 posts

#7. "RE: Making PhotoMechanic the default import program on Windows" | In response to Reply # 6

Wed 02-Jan-13 02:57 PM
Got it. Thanks!

G