New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

lightroom 4 for tilt shift of photos,thoughts please

Thu 23-Aug-12 10:48 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie to this stuff,I am going overseas next year,a lot of time will be photographing the beautiful colorful buildings around Moscow.
I can't afford a tilt shift lens and would like to know if lightrooms 4 lens correction will help,also what I should do regards lenses, Should I use a wide angle or tele lens. Thanks in anticipation, Mal.
esantos esantos

Is from: McAllen, US
15330 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: lightroom 4 for tilt shift of photos,thoughts please" | In response to Reply # 0

esantos Gold Member Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing ... Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been ex... Winner of the Best of Nikonians Images 2018 Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Fri 24-Aug-12 11:57 AM | edited Fri 24-Aug-12 06:51 PM by esantos
Lightroom's lens correction corrects for lens distortions like pincushioning, vignetting (light fall off), and barrel distortion. The predominant issue you will be facing shooting tall buildings is keystoning which is created when you tilt the camera upwards to include the tops of the structures. This causes the vertical lines of the subject in the image to converge. In order to correct this in post processing you have to use something like Photoshop's Transform tools. There are several choices in this tool such as Perspective Correction to help mitigate this problem. A tilt/shift lens allows you to raise the lens upward while keeping the camera film plane perpendicular to the ground, thus eliminating the keystone distortion.

As far as choosing between a wide angle and a telephoto lens for architecture both have their uses. The wide angle would be used to photograph a building in its entirety while a moderate telephoto would be a good choice to single out interesting architectural elements of the buildings.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

See my portfolio.

#2. "RE: lightroom 4 for tilt shift of photos,thoughts please" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 24-Aug-12 01:06 PM | edited Fri 24-Aug-12 01:07 PM by kj_fi
Hi,

I think you're wrong. Lightroom 4 has 'Vertical' adjustment slider in its 'Lens Corrections' panel.

Click on image to view larger version

Notice the V-shape of the image.

Best regards,
Kari

eyciboy eyciboy

Is from: Toronto, CA
131 posts

#3. "RE: lightroom 4 for tilt shift of photos,thoughts please" | In response to Reply # 2

eyciboy Registered since 30th Mar 2009
Fri 24-Aug-12 01:50 PM
LR 3.6 also has the vertical adjustment, which works quite well. A couple of caveats - you may end up with a significant crop, and, you will need to ensure you have enough "dead" space around the targetted areas so that you can do the crop, otherwise you may lose important details in your image. I have used the tool successfully but usually forget my two caveats noted above!

Visit my Nikonians gallery

esantos esantos

Is from: McAllen, US
15330 posts

#4. "RE: lightroom 4 for tilt shift of photos,thoughts please" | In response to Reply # 2

esantos Gold Member Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing ... Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been ex... Winner of the Best of Nikonians Images 2018 Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Fri 24-Aug-12 02:22 PM | edited Fri 24-Aug-12 02:23 PM by esantos
I'm not wrong Kari. Did I say that Lightroom DID NOT have this correction feature? I specifically avoided mentioning what capabilities LR has because I do not use the program to this extent. I said that one would need to use a tool SUCH AS the one in Photoshop. But thanks for the additional info anyway.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

See my portfolio.

#5. "RE: lightroom 4 for tilt shift of photos,thoughts please" | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 25-Aug-12 11:28 AM
Hi,

sorry for misintepreting you but you did list some other features which, unless I had known about keystoning in LR, would have made me assume that it doesn't exist. Anyway, I didn't know about it myself, until I watched a Lightroom video tutorial a 3-4 months ago. Perhaps it's well hidden or maybe I just haven't had enough need for it.

Best regards,
Kari
walkerr walkerr

Is from: Colorado Springs, US
17638 posts

#6. "RE: lightroom 4 for tilt shift of photos,thoughts please" | In response to Reply # 5

walkerr Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of... Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Donor Ribbon awarded for the generous contribution to the 2014 campaign Registered since 05th May 2002
Sat 25-Aug-12 01:21 PM
The perspective correction works well in both LR and ACR. It's attractive because it's non-destructive. I use it frequently.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

G