Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7013 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009
Fri 09-Nov-12 01:52 PM

I have many images from the recent ANPAT 12 posted in the Galleries, but this one has become perhaps one of my new favorites among the few that made the cut because of the interactive light throughout the sunrise on the desert sands of White Sands, New Mexico. Taken with D700, 28-300mm Nikkor at 28mm, ISO 200, F/4, 13 sec, -0.7 EV, Manual Exposure and White Balance with some adjustment of the Raw Image in Lightroom 4.2.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

jdroach

Visit my Nikonian gallery
See my Website at jdroachphotography.com
See My Flickr Photostream

jxv777

Kirkland, WA, US
424 posts

#1. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 0

jxv777 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2009
Thu 22-Nov-12 12:45 AM

I like your photo!

James

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7013 posts

#2. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 1

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009
Thu 22-Nov-12 01:29 AM

Thank you James!

jdroach

landism

CA
476 posts

#3. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 0

landism Registered since 22nd Oct 2011
Thu 22-Nov-12 09:20 AM

nice!

jtmcg

Simsbury, US
4993 posts

#4. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 0

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Thu 22-Nov-12 12:25 PM

Nice one John. Looks like the Thursday morning sunrise. The white sand does allow you to see fg detail.

John

DeanAZ

Phoenix, US
4156 posts

#5. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 0

DeanAZ Gold Member Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007
Thu 22-Nov-12 01:29 PM

A glorious sunrise. Nice work.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Time-Lapse: Vimeo-Dean Andersen

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

#6. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 0

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Thu 22-Nov-12 02:01 PM

Nice John,

I like how the white sand takes on the color of the sky. This is certainly a special landmark at a time of day that many don't get a chance to see.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Bump57

US
6898 posts

#7. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 0

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Fri 23-Nov-12 02:28 AM

Beautiful work John!

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

jjmirenzi

Dupont, US
152 posts

#8. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 0

jjmirenzi Registered since 31st May 2012
Fri 23-Nov-12 01:59 PM

Great SHot. I love that fact that thru Nikonian members I can see the world.

AartPapaya

Hectorspruit, ZA
5420 posts

#9. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 0

AartPapaya Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011
Fri 23-Nov-12 05:04 PM | edited Sat 24-Nov-12 03:34 PM by AartPapaya

John, This is a very striking photo and you deserve all the accolades.
About how long before sunrise did you take this picture?
At first I was astonished at the 13 sec exposure time and than I realize that the son was way behind the horizon. A very innovative idea I would say.

Aart

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7013 posts

#10. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 3

Sat 24-Nov-12 10:31 PM

Thank you.

jdroach

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7013 posts

#11. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 24-Nov-12 10:34 PM | edited Sat 24-Nov-12 10:35 PM by jdroach

Thanks, John. Yes it was Thursday. I appreciate the comments.

jdroach

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7013 posts

#12. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 24-Nov-12 10:35 PM

Dean,
Thank you. Much appreciated.

jdroach

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7013 posts

#13. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 6

Sat 24-Nov-12 10:41 PM

Roger,
Thanks for commenting. It was really glorious and this one gives us the feel I had for the marvelous light that the D700 captured so well.

jdroach

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7013 posts

#14. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 7

Sat 24-Nov-12 10:43 PM

Scott, thanks for commenting!

jdroach

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7013 posts

#15. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 8

Sat 24-Nov-12 10:48 PM

Joseph,
Thanks for commenting. Your comment is so true given the diversity of regions of the world where our members are located.

jdroach

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7013 posts

#16. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 25-Nov-12 03:04 PM

Aart, thanks for the comments. The image was taken within minutes of sunrise. Some others images that morning were taken earlier, since we were out when it was still dark. The sun was on the other side of the mountains beyond the horizon, but had just risen at 7:12am and this image was taken 7:31am.

jdroach

russg

Phoenix, US
1618 posts

#17. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 0

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007
Sun 25-Nov-12 04:26 PM

Really nice, John. White Sands is high on my list of places I want to shoot. Did you have any issues with getting into the monument before sunrise or staying after sunset?

Russ

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7013 posts

#18. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" | In response to Reply # 17

Sun 25-Nov-12 04:49 PM

Russ,

Thanks for the comments. Since this was the Nikonians' ANPAT 12 trip, Mike Hagen laid out the itinerary where in we got access early to the Monument. Thus we got in early and also got to go to areas usually off limits to the regular White Sands visitor.

Again, thanks,

John

jdroach

russg

Phoenix, US
1618 posts