Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Wed 02-Jan-13 11:01 AM | edited Thu 03-Jan-13 07:09 PM by richardd300

It's courtship time on a dull, dank winters day using my D800 + 300mm f4 + SB800 Speedlight save the day. They were on my roof showing off.

First pictures shows what I got with a flashgun synched at 1/250. The third without flash against a cloudy white sky.

Richard

Nikon D800 1/250 @ f6.3 IS0800 EV -3

Click on image to view larger version

Nikon D800 1/250 @ f8 ISO1000 Ev -3

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

vcottman

Denver, US
8506 posts

#1. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun." | In response to Reply # 0

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 21st May 2006
Wed 02-Jan-13 11:44 AM

Nice series Richard.

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jot2nik

Troy, US
845 posts

#2. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun." | In response to Reply # 0

jot2nik Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007
Wed 02-Jan-13 01:44 PM

Very colorful. Nice shooting

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

VR8

Ottawa, CA
786 posts

#3. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun." | In response to Reply # 0

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008
Wed 02-Jan-13 06:53 PM

What an opportunity, great photos!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

af4nc

Yardley, US
3194 posts

#4. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun." | In response to Reply # 0

af4nc Registered since 07th Jul 2007
Wed 02-Jan-13 11:40 PM

Nice capture

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7779 posts

#5. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun." | In response to Reply # 0

Dubes Moderator Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Macro and Wildlife Photography Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest  Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 15th Jun 2007
Thu 03-Jan-13 05:50 PM

As already mentioned Richard, a great opportunity presented to you.
I haven't looked a the EXIF data on your images, but something puzzles me. If the first 2 exposures were strictly created by the flash, in number 1, I'd expect the front of the roof line to be severely overexposed being closer to the flash; and number 2, the tree in the background on the second exposure appears to have fairly decent exposure, but is considerably further away from the flash.
What kind of metering did you use?
I've had a lot of luck using spot metering and locking exposure on the subject (plus shooting at anywhere between +0.3 to +1 EV) when shooting against a white/gray overcast sky.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#6. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun." | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 03-Jan-13 06:16 PM

I have now included the exif data above images 1 & 2. I recon distance to Peacocks approx 30ft, to the trees behind 45ft. Colour matrix and single point focus.

It is surprising that so much is well exposed at an EV setting of -3, this was not intentional and I had left it there from the shoot the day before.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2675 posts

#7. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun." | In response to Reply # 0

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Thu 03-Jan-13 06:18 PM

Wow! Peacocks on your roof. The "best" we've ever had was a pheasant in our backyard some years ago. It was handsome but so was the noize it made every morning.

Did you you TTL-BL?

Regards, Antero

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#8. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun." | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 03-Jan-13 06:38 PM | edited Thu 03-Jan-13 06:39 PM by richardd300

Thanks

There is an interesting thread at https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=21041#21161 discussing aspects of flash with bird photography.

One poster says "Standard SB800 provides a bit of fill out to nearly 60 feet I often use it for small garden birds at around 15 to 30 feet (5 to 10 meters)

This fits in with what I have achieved I think with the exception of the bid sizes.

Richard

G