Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens

rentonhighlands

US
33 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rentonhighlands Registered since 17th Apr 2007
Fri 26-Dec-08 04:05 AM

I want to purchase the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D. I have a D50. My question is because this lens is not a "DX" lens then with the 1.5X factor this lens is really a 75mm lens?

mtpenmaker

Billings, US
1840 posts

#1. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens" | In response to Reply # 0

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007
Fri 26-Dec-08 03:15 AM

No. A 50mm lens is always a 50mm lens not matter what body you attach it too. What does happen is that the field of view varies depending on the size of the sensor. On cameras with the smaller sensors, everything except D3, D3x and D700, the FOV is the same as a 75mm lens on a full frame camera, but the depth of field is still that of a 50mm lens, that is deeper than a 75mm lens would be.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14909 posts

#2. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens" | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Fri 26-Dec-08 12:55 PM | edited Fri 26-Dec-08 12:56 PM by dclarhorn

Like Gerry said. In other words, ALWAYS use the 1.5x crop factor with whatever lens you put on your D50, DX or otherwise.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

rentonhighlands

US
33 posts

#3. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens" | In response to Reply # 2

Fri 26-Dec-08 03:20 PM

A 2nd question: I currently have a nikkor 28-80mm 3.3-5.6 G and this would include the 50mm. What is going to be the difference if I take a picture at 50mm with my current lens or use the 50mm 1.8?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#4. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens" | In response to Reply # 3

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 26-Dec-08 03:25 PM

Apart from any potential variation in sharpness, contrast and distortion due to the different optical design of the two lenses, images taken at the same aperture would look just the same.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mtpenmaker

Billings, US
1840 posts

#5. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens" | In response to Reply # 3

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007
Fri 26-Dec-08 03:29 PM

The biggest difference will be image quality. The 50mm f/1.8 is a very sharp lens, considerably better than the 28-80. The other difference is speed. The 50mm f/1.8 is about 2 fulls stops faster than the 28mm end of the zoom and probably even more than 2 stops at 50mm. Two stops is 4X as much light.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

rentonhighlands

US
33 posts

#6. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens" | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 26-Dec-08 05:23 PM

Thank-you for answering my questions. I am going to purchase a 50mm 1.8 and try it.

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14909 posts

#7. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens" | In response to Reply # 6

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Sat 27-Dec-08 10:59 AM

When trying it out, keep in mind that if you shoot wide open at 1.8, you have a lot less depth of field. Some people mistake the out of focus areas for poor lens performance. Wide open is good for isolating your subject from its surroundings. For other shots, like landscapes or travel when you want everything in focus, be sure to stop down to f8 or more.

For the price, the 50mm 1.8 is a great performer and value. I have one in my bag.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

edmun

eugene, US
8618 posts

#8. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens" | In response to Reply # 7

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003
Sun 28-Dec-08 12:05 AM

Some zoom lens shift focal as they focus so when you compare a 50 mm prime with a zoom at 50 mm you can get different angles of view.

(some other prime lens also use this trick

ledmun

G