Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Tonik

Cleveland, US
291 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tonik Registered since 01st Nov 2005
Tue 01-Nov-05 11:17 PM

New to the DSLR world, always been a film sort of guy. So far very happy to have made the switch, and very happy with my choice of the 50.

This feels like a simple question, but dig as I might through the manual I can not find much info on how the 'Auto' mode functions, especially in comparison to 'Programed' mode.

Any hints for the noob?

edmun

eugene, US
8618 posts

#1. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program" | In response to Reply # 0

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003
Tue 01-Nov-05 10:24 PM

Your not alone. It is also true in the D70 manual.

ledmun

James23p

Memphis, US
11258 posts

#2. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program" | In response to Reply # 1

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004
Wed 02-Nov-05 12:11 AM

I am not sure if it translate but in my film camera's the Auto mode does not allow alot of changes. But in Program you can adjust the apature up and down and the shutter will correspond. Example if the camera starts at f5.6 and s60 you can change that to f3.5 and s125. This is called flexible program where in auto if the camera say f5.6 and s60 thats what you get. In DSLR's I think Program also lets you change the ISO and not in Auto. But I am not 100% since I have not jumped onto the digital train. Hope this helps.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Click on image to view larger version

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Drewhound

121 posts

#3. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program" | In response to Reply # 0

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007
Wed 02-Nov-05 12:30 AM

There's a run down of what all the modes do on page 101, auto really just turns it into a point and shoot.

baggss11

Ventura, US
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program" | In response to Reply # 3

baggss11 Registered since 29th Oct 2005
Wed 02-Nov-05 02:03 AM

I'm hoping questions like this will be answered in the two upcomming books listed at the top of the page HERE.

I've ordered both....

New Nikon D50 owner

Shred

FI
193 posts

#5. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program" | In response to Reply # 4

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005
Wed 02-Nov-05 11:17 AM

Auto mode automatically pops up the built in flash if necessary and auto iso is enabled.
P mode is much more useful as you can control the flash and select if you want to use auto ISO etc...

Tonik

Cleveland, US
291 posts

#6. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program" | In response to Reply # 0

Tonik Registered since 01st Nov 2005
Wed 02-Nov-05 12:04 PM

Got it. Thanks much for all the pointers. Page 101 is very nice, my attenion span must have been slipping by the time I got to that page.

G