New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

BODIES Sold

Wed 21-Nov-07 03:13 PM
These have been sold but not the one I listed this morning
georgem georgem

Is from: Philadelphia, US
800 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - FIRST COME /FIRST SERVED" | In response to Reply # 0

georgem Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006
Wed 21-Nov-07 04:30 PM
Hi, If I was to take one of your cameras, can you tell me how I'm to deal with possible future warrenty issues?

Thank you.

George M.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

#2. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - FIRST COME /FIRST SERVED" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 21-Nov-07 05:11 PM
I will provide you with the receipt. When you get the camera simply register as you normally would. This is nothing different if I bought the camera as a gift.........You will have all the papers

#3. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 2

Wed 21-Nov-07 05:13 PM
Oh, yeh....Nikon right now is not offering an extended warranty - but if you would like to purchase one it can be done through Mack for approx. $100.
jbk224 jbk224

Is from: Floral Park, US
504 posts

#4. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 3

jbk224 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2006
Wed 21-Nov-07 08:04 PM
Why would anyone pay $2050 for this body when it is available for less than $1800? And you would be buying it from an authorized Nikon dealer?

Now known as Poppyrazzi for our family---sweet!

#5. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 21-Nov-07 09:39 PM
Check WTB post . I'm paraphrasing .If someone will sell D3 , buyer is willing to pay the invoice cost and in addition will give his D200 as a bonus.

It's a crazy world. I can't imagine why being the first or one of the first to own a camera is so terribly important. A camera that will be worth half the purchase price in two years or less depending upon what is offered next and how soon. In a way it's very sad.

Paul

#6. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 22-Nov-07 12:40 AM
A new Nikkor 12-24mm DX is about the same price as a used D200. If getting a D3 saves the need for that lens, it's not so crazy.

#7. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 22-Nov-07 04:11 AM
hey guys - If your not interested you don't have to reply. Many people are interested in getting one early

#8. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 22-Nov-07 07:51 AM
>hey guys - If your not interested you don't have to reply.
>Many people are interested in getting one early

You couldn't possibly be more correct. You understand the mentality and should profit from your keen insight . No problem here on this issue however do you really mean " don't have to " or shouldn't?

I think the subject is fair game in an open forum if comments are civil and respectful. Don't you agree ?

Good luck with the sale.

Paul

kennyg92 kennyg92

Is from: Seattle, US
251 posts

#9. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 7

kennyg92 Registered since 16th May 2006
Thu 22-Nov-07 09:50 AM
>hey guys - If your not interested you don't have to reply.
>Many people are interested in getting one early

Well to "get one early" all one needs to do is buy one, at the original price.
Almost everyone has them in stock. Can order directly from B&H as of this very moment.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

#10. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 22-Nov-07 01:59 PM
>>hey guys - If your not interested you don't have to reply.
>>Many people are interested in getting one early
>
>Well to "get one early" all one needs to do is buy one, at
>the original price.
>Almost everyone has them in stock. Can order directly from
>B&H as of this very moment.

Was there every any doubt that these very nice cameras would be readily available ? When I started reading the posts about pre-ordering I was somewhat surprised. Camera shortage ? Gas shortage. Hurricane warnings get milk ,batteries and water. The hysteria to purchase is one amazing thing. I get the feeling there is a merchandising genius lurking in the shadow detail.

A couple of bucks up or down isn't going to make anyone very rich or very poor. The information about availability and price are at everyones fingertips so if the price is right for YOU then pay and enjoy .

Paul

#11. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 22-Nov-07 07:33 AM
>A new Nikkor 12-24mm DX is about the same price as a used
>D200. If getting a D3 saves the need for that lens, it's
>not so crazy.

On the merits of the facts , A full frame camera may eliminate the need for a 12-24 mm depending on the lenses you already own. However I don't feel this is a cerebral issue . More a yahoo , whoopie, Hurrah , Yippie , whaahoo kind of thing . A real stampeed or undertow depending on your geographical location.

I don't fault either the seller or the buyer . Each to their own. I just don't get it but maybe that's an issue for me.

Happy Thanksgiving.

#12. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 11

Thu 22-Nov-07 10:53 AM
One sold...one to go!

#13. "RE: D300 BODY AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 22-Nov-07 04:54 PM
>Oh, yeh....Nikon right now is not offering an extended
>warranty - but if you would like to purchase one it can be
>done through Mack for approx. $100.

When Lisa called to confirm my purchase, she informed me that I would have a 30 day time period to purchase the Nikon Two Year extended Warranty for $169.00.

petrieme

Is from: US
606 posts

#14. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 0

petrieme Registered since 28th Jan 2007
Thu 22-Nov-07 02:44 PM
what's this world coming to?

-----
"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees." -William Blake

http://fstopstudios.blogspot.com

LuisGonzalezLT

Is from: Macedonia, US
1047 posts

#15. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 0

LuisGonzalezLT Registered since 04th Nov 2005
Thu 22-Nov-07 03:45 PM
Maybe the buyers are about to go on a very pricy vacation and they want to take a D300 along instead of a D70. I can think of scenarios where I might shell out a little more $$ for a camera.

The original post in this forum is totally legit. This is the "I want to sell" forum, not the "I disagree with the free enterprise system" forum.

Luis Gonzalez
Everlasting Photography, Inc.

Luis Gonzalez

petrieme

Is from: US
606 posts

#16. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 15

petrieme Registered since 28th Jan 2007
Thu 22-Nov-07 04:55 PM
Luis, if your ok with folks whose sole intention is to scalp gear sucking up orders from other consumers-- sure if the retailer allows that to happen, shame on them...

However, folks pawning off stuff then don't own YET is IMHO ... lacking (with all due respect).

-----
"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees." -William Blake

http://fstopstudios.blogspot.com

#17. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 22-Nov-07 05:02 PM

>
>The original post in this forum is totally legit. This is
>the "I want to sell" forum, not the "I disagree with the
>free enterprise system" forum.
>
>Luis Gonzalez
>Everlasting Photography, Inc.

I do somewhat agree but my personal feelings are, this is like rubbing salt into the wound of not getting one in the first shipment. Not what I would consider being part of the Nikonian family especially the Nikonian Forum Family. But, different strokes for different folks I guess. Live and learn...........

#18. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 17

Thu 22-Nov-07 05:26 PM
Luis is correct....The two bottom line are as follows:

1. If your not interested you guys should have kept your mouths shut....No one of forcing anyone to buy the camera period. I really do not appreciate the sabotage....so much the "For Sale" Forum. If you list a used lens or a D200 that one thinks is high....do you have the right to kill any potential sale?

This is not scalping...just refuse to buy. I certainly wouldn't sell to you guys anything at this point.

2. The 2nd body sold.....

The guy was going to South Afica and wanted the camera. WHO the heck are you to question him and his willingness to pay the price I listed.

jbear jbear

Is from: Marietta, US
1681 posts

#19. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 18

jbear Registered since 22nd May 2003
Thu 22-Nov-07 05:46 PM
>This is not scalping...just refuse to buy. I certainly
>wouldn't sell to you guys anything at this point.

You're right...I think the correct term is profiteering.

C'mon...you didn't realize you'd get this kind of reaction from a close-knit photo community? You have every right to do that (but shouldn't) and they have every right to let you know what they think about it (but shouldn't in this forum). Its a draw.
sparky16

Is from: Sacramento, US
186 posts

#20. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 18

sparky16 Registered since 24th Sep 2007
Thu 22-Nov-07 06:08 PM

I think we had enough.
I am coming to this board to see some new stuff for sale, not you guy's mud slinging. Tired of them!

abikeride, you sold both of your D300s, right? Then move on. Delete the thread, if you could. Enough is enough.

Have you guys ever thought about the silent majority?

Steve

I wish I had...

#21. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 18

Thu 22-Nov-07 06:14 PM

#22. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 21

Thu 22-Nov-07 06:32 PM
The bottom line is....I have the right to sell anything I want for any price and you guys have the right to buy or reject....this is what they call in America a free market!

This forum if for buying and selling - not to b***ch because you didn't get yours yet and not willing to pay a bit more. In the end, the camera cost me $1800 PLUS TX..... Almost $148 by itself.....so who the heck is scalping....certainly not me. So what did this profit come out to??? $52.00 - Am I not entitled to that???

LuisGonzalezLT

Is from: Macedonia, US
1047 posts

#23. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 22

LuisGonzalezLT Registered since 04th Nov 2005
Thu 22-Nov-07 08:03 PM
I understand the frustration all of you feel. Really. To be on a pre-order list and then not get it filled, only to see some others getting more cameras than they thought they would and then selling them off. The thought is "that camera should have been mine..."

BUT - this is capitalism at work. This is free enterprise at work. This is not a country that allocates resources based on some higher authorities' idea of who should be able to buy what and when and for how much. My folks left Cuba decades ago because of a system like that...

We also don't know if the two buyers in this case were even on a D300 pre-order list.

I'm not passing any moral judgement one way or another. This is a simple business transaction over a piece of hardware. Jay appears to have done what many people have done - ordered from several vendors thinking that probably only one of them would come through, only to have them all come through and end up with more cameras than they wanted. At which point you are faced with a couple of choices: 1. RMA it back (and eat the shipping to do so)
2. Turn around and sell it, covering your total costs (camera+shipping, plus maybe sales tax, plus paypal fees, etc.). By the time you add all of that up, your close to the $2K jay was asking. A 2-3% markup to account for the labor involved to turn it around sounds reasonable to me. If there is a market/demand for it.

IMHA (in my honest advice), don't get too emotionally involved in a camera body. Enjoy shooting photos with the gear you have right now.

Luis Gonzalez
Everlasting Photography, Inc.

Luis Gonzalez

#24. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 23

Thu 22-Nov-07 08:43 PM
Thanks for understanding....and by the way everyone should add the following as I made a little math error.......

Camera: $1799
Ta In NY 8.75%): $157.41
Shipping: $24

Total: $1980.41

So...........In the end I made $20 for my time.

True I thought about putting it on ebay...but then with the listing fee's I would have lost money.

Those who doubted me obviously have no morals because they made people think I was ripping them off (they did a disservice to me, potential buyers, and this organization by using the formum for something other than was the actual intent or at the very least are just damn jealous that I got my camera early and they're sucking wind!

#25. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 24

Thu 22-Nov-07 08:47 PM
BTW - B and H is out of stock on these camera's! When I check with Berger Bro's on Monday they can't tell me when they will be able to fill an order if you went on the wait list today.

Lex

Is from: Knoxville, US
536 posts

#26. "RE: Two D300 BODIES AVAILABLE - 1st COME /1st SERVED" | In response to Reply # 24

Lex Registered since 01st Jul 2006
Fri 23-Nov-07 07:11 AM
That's the kettle calling the pot black, you talking about morals. how about the morals of taking someone's sales ad that was well thought out and original, and stealing keywords and phrases for your own ad. I ask you, is that moral high ground?

Then when I called your hand on it in PM, you say it was only one phrase, when clearly it was more. No need checking now members, because he's already changed at least some of it after I brought it to his attention and he knew he'd been caught. Now if someone reprinted it above, it could be here, no worries now though.

I'll also add that his was only a position of defensiveness, never an apology for using my phrases and structure of my own ad. I did call it to admins attention, and I guess they took no action.

But I can't let you stand here talking about moral high ground to others without making this known. Yes, until this I was never going to post one public sentiment about my ad being cloned and used as a basis for another ad.

Now I am washing my hands of this.

Doug
D3s, D3x, D700, fine glassware (Nikkor and Zeiss), Think Tank bag freak. Singh-Ray, Heliopan, B&W are filters of choice. SB-900 X 2, SU-800 commander.
Studio lighting PCB einstein X 3, AB400, beauty dish, octabox, Apollo, Sekonic L358.

reuben reuben

Is from: Mayo, US
10649 posts

#27. "RE: BODIES Sold" | In response to Reply # 0

reuben Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Donor Ribbon awarded for his extraordinary generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Donor Ribbon awarded for the generous contribution to the 2014 campaign Registered since 21st Jan 2004
Fri 23-Nov-07 08:14 AM

Specifically:

1) Price policing is not allowed, as stated in the Guidelines.

2) Nikon warranty information is also available in the Guidelines, directly from Nikon. No need to speculate on the subject in this or any other thread.

3) Plagarizing someone else's post is discouraged. Doug (Lex), I got your alert, but took no action as you stated.

4) Jay (abikeride), you should not be surprised at receiving skepticism when trying to sell a new item at or above retail price. And please do not plagiarize anyone's post in the future. I saw the three originals, and they were identical in all respects except price.

4) The team discussed this thread at its inception. To date we do not feel that the sale violates any rules or is otherwise objectionable, although that may change.

5) However, the level of acrimony has increased to unacceptable levels. The attacks are becoming personal. That will stop. A cornerstone of Nikonians is its civil, respectful, and courteous behavior. This is required of all members.

I do not like to make public posts like this, but it's better than sending a dozen or more emails, and I want everyone to be clear on the matter.

Inasmuch as the bodies are now sold, I will now lock this thread.

Thank you.

Simplify

Cormorants

G