Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?

ZoneV

Is from: US
3612 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Registered since 07th Jan 2005
Thu 05-Jul-12 10:23 AM | edited Thu 05-Jul-12 10:26 AM by ZoneV
I may be in a position later this year to sell some Nikon F-era gear that belonged to a relative who no longer needs/wants it. Various vintage F Photomic Bodies (FTN and TN), as well a number of the more desireable popular, classic non-AI prime lenses. And some oddball stuff like Vivitar lenses, etc. A fairly extensive range of stuff.

Is there much interest amongst nikonians for purchasing this sort of equipment? I might just buy everything outright from him because he has the F2 I'm interested in, but he doesn't have desire to go through the mechanics of selling online. He has tried locally, but with little luck. If I do, I want to sell off almost everything. As long as I have the time, and everything goes smoothly, I enjoy the selling process. If I do end up buying the kit and selling most of the items, it would be ideal to do so on here.

So, might anyone be interested in some of this sort of stuff? I'm trying to gague interest. If I don't get any replies, I'll assume that nikonians is a poor place to try to sell. But hopefully there is still enthusiasm and are still nikonians looking for some of this equipment.

Nikon user since 2000

autoexer autoexer

Is from: Waukesha, US
1141 posts

#1. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 0

autoexer Registered since 26th Jan 2011
Thu 05-Jul-12 05:55 PM
lots of people here with NAS.....

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Df, FA, FG, F

ZoneV

3612 posts

#2. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 05-Jul-12 07:29 PM
>lots of people here with NAS.....

Well, that's helpful. I may have some things to sell in a month or two.

Anyone else?

Nikon user since 2000

#3. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 06-Jul-12 12:16 PM
I might be interested, I'm mostly an impulse buying on such things (do I really need an new old camera? no but I'm only human).

Since you have knowledge of film cameras and such, if you'd check the item out, make sure it works and thoroughly report any issues, and post nice detailed pics, I'd be inclined to purchase from such a seller as opposed to ebay or KEH.

The stuff might not sell fast, so it might be an ongoing effort to move things to recoup your investment.

...Mike
ZoneV

3612 posts

#4. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 3

Fri 06-Jul-12 04:08 PM | edited Fri 06-Jul-12 04:16 PM by ZoneV
>I might be interested, I'm mostly an impulse buying on such
>things (do I really need an new old camera? no but I'm only
>human).
>
>Since you have knowledge of film cameras and such, if you'd
>check the item out, make sure it works and thoroughly report
>any issues, and post nice detailed pics, I'd be inclined to
>purchase from such a seller as opposed to ebay or KEH.
>
>The stuff might not sell fast, so it might be an ongoing
>effort to move things to recoup your investment.

Well, Mike, among other things, there's a black F Photomic FTN body in KEH EX/EX+ condition that he originally bought new.

I would definitely inspect everything carefully and describe it, as well as take photos and post them. Also, I'm obsessive about packing things carefully. The only things I'm uncertain of, are how to test the metered finders (e.g. battery availability options) and whether I should leave the camera bodies as-is, or have the light seal foam replaced (they need it). I'm not sure if having it replaced as a seller is a waste of money, or if it would drastically improve the chance of resale.

Nikon user since 2000

#5. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 06-Jul-12 04:44 PM | edited Fri 06-Jul-12 04:45 PM by bobcamarena
I've bought and sold on Nikonians, Craig's List and a local camera swap. At the camera swap I was able to sell a bunch of vintage non-Nikon gear for a fair but not high price with very little hassle since it as all over in one morning. My Nikonians experience was very good, both in buying and selling but selling was a bit more work in that I had to ship the equipment to the buyers. Prices were fair. Craig's list was OK but I had to deal with phone calls from people who didn't know much about the equipment. I did finally find a knowledgeable CL buyer for some non-AI lenses and another for my D-100.

Most of my selling and buying experience is a couple of years or more old so things have slowed down a bit.

When you post your items for sale, a "heads-up" posting on the this forum is a good idea.

#6. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 06-Jul-12 05:53 PM
List them on Nikonians and see what happens. I've bought a FM3A, FA, F2A, 50 f/1.2 ai and a 24 f/2.8 ais lenses on the "For Sale Forum". I'd consider lenses that were non ai to go with my F/FTn and Nikkormat FTn's.
ZoneV

3612 posts

#7. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 6

Fri 06-Jul-12 07:03 PM | edited Fri 06-Jul-12 07:13 PM by ZoneV
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

It is possible that approx six weeks from now, I might have some Nikon F-era equipment to list for sale on this site. If and when that happens, I'll post another reply to this thread letting everyone know.

In the meantime, feel free to keep replying to this topic if you have anything to add.

And as a buyer, would you rather see bodies that have been recently serviced and costing $75 more, or would you rather it be listed as-is with light seals that are iffy and no CLA? Personally, when I bought my F3, the light seals were pretty shot, but it never affected anything; the camera is so well sealed. I would want to recoup my own investement in the kit by selling most of the items. I pretty much have enough Nikon gear already. But personally I'm willing to pay a good premium for something that has been cleaned and checked recently. I'm actually planning to send the F2 that I would be keeping to Sover Wong for this reason.

Nikon user since 2000

autoexer autoexer

Is from: Waukesha, US
1141 posts

#8. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 7

autoexer Registered since 26th Jan 2011
Fri 06-Jul-12 07:17 PM
i think quite a few of use have certain items that we are looking for, whether we know it or not! I am looking for a FTn finder for my black F, right one comes along and bingo! I almost went for the 24mm ais on the for sale forum a while back, but it was gone; not that i really needed it though...

the "heads up" is a great idea

Df, FA, FG, F

#9. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 30-Jul-12 11:05 AM
No. No more NAS for me.. How much for the whole lot? Just kidding.

#10. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 9

Mon 30-Jul-12 02:39 PM | edited Mon 30-Jul-12 02:39 PM by Overkill_F2
I would be interested in looking at your list.
I am looking for a DE-1, non-metered eye-level finder for my F2.
...Terry

#11. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 30-Jul-12 02:50 PM
>List them on Nikonians and see what happens. I'd consider lenses >that were non ai to go with my F/FTn and Nikkormat FTn's.

Me too!

rickpaul rickpaul

Is from: Tucson, US
1825 posts

#12. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 0

rickpaul Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Basic Member
Mon 30-Jul-12 06:20 PM
I'm interested!!!!

And I would rather purchase here than eBay!

--------------------------
Rick Paul
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog
Visit my Nikonians gallery

ZoneV

3612 posts

#13. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 12

Mon 30-Jul-12 08:51 PM
Good to hear, everyone. Maybe, just maybe, in a few weeks I'll have a few classic Nikon camera bodies and lenses for sale.

Nikon user since 2000

Ralph Javins

51 posts

#14. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 13

Ralph Javins Registered since 06th Jan 2012
Sat 11-Aug-12 08:18 PM
Good morning, ZoneV;

As someone who has and uses Nikon cameras in only the F and F2 era, I am also someone with an interest in what you and your relative will have available. I also look forward to seeing your Available Equipment List when it comes out.

NAS is truly a difficult thing to overcome, although there can be a tolerance build-up over time. Or, it may be just that you finally actually do get just about everything that you truly want. I am not sure which.

Enjoy;

Ralph
Latte Land, Washington

Nikon F and F2; Nikkormat/Nikomat FT, FTb, FTn, FT2
Pre-AI or Non-AI, and some AI'ed and AI lenses from 24mmm to 300mm
And The 1960s Nikon Project
ZoneV

3612 posts

#15. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 10-Nov-12 01:29 PM | edited Sat 10-Nov-12 01:31 PM by ZoneV
I think we're going to do it. Maybe in mid December, I will be in a position to start listing some of the stuff on here. Just want to check again to see if people are still interested.

Among other things, I know for sure there's a 200/4, a 50/1.4, a 43-86, an F FTN, an F TN, a Nikkormat that needs a CLA, a Vivitar 400/5.6, and a Rollei handlemount flash (would be sold as-is: no idea if it still works or if you can still make a proper battery pack).

Some of the previously interested members are no longer active now. Please leave feedback/advice if you're interested, and if there's enough interest, I'll go for it.

Nikon user since 2000

James23p James23p

Is from: Memphis, US
11794 posts

#16. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 15

James23p Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Registered since 25th Apr 2004
Sat 10-Nov-12 03:00 PM | edited Sat 10-Nov-12 03:02 PM by James23p
Just remember Al that when you do sell it needs to be posted in the for sale forum. This forum is not the appropriate place to list and discuss prices and deals. That said it sounds like a treasure trunk full of MF gear.

Thanks Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Click on image to view larger version

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

ZoneV

3612 posts

#17. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 16-Nov-12 04:29 PM
Any other potential interested nikonians for F/Nikkormat/non-AI gear? If so, drop me a reply in this thread.

Nikon user since 2000

georgem georgem

Is from: Philadelphia, US
800 posts

#18. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 17

georgem Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006
Fri 16-Nov-12 08:18 PM
I can alway be tempted to buy Nikon F generation gear. I don't ever shoot much with then and I still send them out for
cleaning, adjustment and calibration every few years.

George Macaluso
East Lansing, Michigan.
ZoneV

3612 posts

#19. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 22-Nov-12 04:35 PM
Here's a rundown of the equipment. If there's enough interest, I'll just buy the whole kit, keep the item or two I want, and list everything else for sale next month. If there's anything from this list anyone is specfically interested in, let me know...I'm still kind of feeling this out. I don't want to get stuck with all the equipment, so this is just a preliminary feeler.

Nikon Gear:

-Nikon F Photomic FTN black with soft shutter release, #728xxxx.
-Nikon F Photomic T chrome, needs new mirror foam, #688xxxx.
(Note: Photomic finders not tested yet)
-Nikkormat FT chrome. Quite well used.

-Nikkor O Auto 35mm f/2 Nippon Kogaku Japan #721xxx
-Nikkor S Auto 50mm f/1.4 Nippon Kogaku Japan #431xxx
-Zoom Nikkor C Auto 43-86 mm f/3.5 #618xxx
-Nikkor P Auto 105mm f/2.5 #423xxx
-Nikkor Q Auto 200mm f/4 #522xxx

-Vivitar 85-205/3.8
-Vivitar 400/5.6 77mm filter size

Non-Nikon:
-Fujica 135/3.2
-Accura 28/3.5

-Gossen Luna Pro meter

All glass is non-AI.

Most equipment is BGN; some is EX.

Nikon user since 2000

georgem georgem

Is from: Philadelphia, US
800 posts

#20. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 19

georgem Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006
Thu 22-Nov-12 06:22 PM | edited Thu 22-Nov-12 06:25 PM by georgem
Will you be selling this stuff? If so, what will you be selling it for?
Can you tell me if the light meter on the black F works?

Thanks

George
ZoneV

3612 posts

#21. "RE: Interest in F-era gear on nikonians?" | In response to Reply # 20

Fri 23-Nov-12 08:45 AM | edited Fri 23-Nov-12 08:46 AM by ZoneV
>Will you be selling this stuff? If so, what will you be
>selling it for?
>Can you tell me if the light meter on the black F works?

I hope so. If there are a few more seriously interested nikonians, I will test the light meters in mid December (too busy with other projects for the next few weeks) and if everything works well, I'll be offering the gear for sale. At this time, all I know is that the meters were tested a long while back, and there is no corrosion inside the battery chambers. I would have tested last night, while looking at the gear and making my list, but I didn't have an appropriate battery on me at the time. I'm going to have to do thorough testing and cleaning; I don't want to promise anything before that, thus this is just a preliminary post and I won't be in a position to post exact conditions, prices, pics, details, etc. for another few weeks.

I will definitely keep you in mind for the black F with Ftn finder, George.

And for others who might be genuinely interested in some of the gear, please drop me a reply. If I get a few more people with an interest, I'll see it as a green light. Let's give it two to three weeks to give everyone time.

Nikon user since 2000

G