Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Nikonians Press Magazines Podcasts Fundraising NikoScope Search About us

Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to N80

Keith_S

Charlottesville, US
569 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Keith_S Basic Member
Mon 20-Oct-03 09:10 PM

OK, here's an idea that hit me today: I have a copy of the Magic Lantern guide to the N80, but since I traded my N80 in, I no longer have a use for it. This is where you come in: I will send my very good condition copy of the guide to the winner of this little contest, free of charge.

Here are the rules:
To enter the contest, you should write a paragraph telling why you desperately need the guide and why you are so deserving. I invite you to be creative, as not only would I really not have any way of verifying your story, I don't even care a whit if it's true. On Thursday, October 23rd, I will pick the most deserving winner from the entries and mail them the guide.

DISCLAIMER: With my apologies to those Nikonians living outside of the U.S., my offer of free shipping, thus this contest, is only open to those living within the continental U.S.

Keith
Charlottesville, Virginia
U.S.A.

http://people.hsc.edu/faculty-staff/keiths/Photography/photo_home.htm

dsapkota

utrecht, NL
116 posts

#1. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 0

dsapkota Basic Member
Mon 20-Oct-03 07:37 PM

Great idea for this contest but comparing the task, your prize-the guide is worthless.
Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

N80

Rock Hill, US
8805 posts

#2. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 1

N80 Silver Member Charter Member
Mon 20-Oct-03 08:36 PM

Writing a paragraph isn't a task! You just wrote one, but I don't think it will win.

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

nrcowlishaw

Cedar City, US
12 posts

#3. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 0

nrcowlishaw Registered since 15th Sep 2003
Mon 20-Oct-03 10:18 PM

Keith,

Since your offering this for free, I'll give it a try --

Three weeks ago I purchased a Gray-Market version of the Nikon N80. What a super slick camera with all the features I could ever want in a beautiful SLR. This camera came with an owners manual on how to operate every bell and whistle.

I was ready to sit down and read the little book from cover to cover, but when the time came around, the manual was nowhere to be found. That day, I spent two or three hours searching every crook and cranny of that old farm house. I even searched the the back yard. My mother is always throwing things in the garbage, so I dug around in there. Alas, I never found that shiny paperback manual. Here I was with a cool camera, but nothing to teach me the Custom Functions, or anything else. My search was in vein.

A few days passed, and I located the Manual! It had gone through the washing machine, and was nothing more than a wad of chewed up paper, shredded pieces blanketed the clothes. So long had I forgotten, that I had stuck the booklet in my pocket as if it was a wallet. How stupid I was for not removing it before it had the chance to travel the washer.

Since then, I've been forced to buy a manual on CD from Ebay. But I have to go to the local library to read it, and often take notes. A replacment manual isn't worth $17 dollars at Keh Camera. So I still do not know all the things that this little F80 can do. What a bummer, a real sad bummer!

Nathan Cowlishaw

Nathan Cowlishaw

Keith_S

Charlottesville, US
569 posts

#4. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 3

Keith_S Basic Member
Mon 20-Oct-03 10:55 PM

I see that we're off to a good start here!

Keith
U.S.A.

Josie

Oak Ridge, US
161 posts

#5. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 0

Josie Registered since 14th Oct 2003
Mon 20-Oct-03 11:25 PM

OK! I'm up for this idea, because I AM desperate!! I have looked for this guide, in fact, on-line, and in several places. They are all UNAVAILABLE. So, here goes why I really, really need it!

I got my N80 as a birthday gift from my most generous husband. Little did he know what sort of film requirement I would need as I worked through the manual, on roll of film at a time. I have read the manual at least 10 times- perhaps more, and I seem to be reading Greek. I get stuck at the same spots, and so decided to buy the Video of the N80 where a really good photographer is taking pictures of someplace in Arizona. My 2 year old prefers "Baby Einstien", so I have to fight him for TV rights. I have begged a friend, a majoring photography student for help. I get a blank stare. I must not be even asking the correct questions. If I only had the ultimate "Magic Lantern Guide"! My daughter thinks I've lost my marbles, my husband thinks I'm becoming obsessed (yes) and I've NEVER even dreamed of posting to a forum before, but knowledge of this wonderful little gadget has become my daily quest!

So, my 2 babies, my older daughter, my husband, and most of my friends would thank you from the bottom of their hearts for a little more help in using my new NIKON camera! "YAY"!!! (and to think of the wonderful memories I will be generating for the whole of my little family!):)

Keith_S

Charlottesville, US
569 posts

#6. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 5

Keith_S Basic Member
Tue 21-Oct-03 12:11 AM

Wow, you even managed to go for the baby vote... hmmm, this is going to be a difficult decision, I can see that already. LOL!

Keith
U.S.A.

nrcowlishaw

Cedar City, US
12 posts

#7. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 6

Tue 21-Oct-03 06:12 PM

Keith,

If you don't mind this inquiry, where exactly can someone purchase this book for the N80? If you have a website, please post an addy!

Hey, what do you think of Landscape work with the N80? I was going to buy the F100, but pruchased the N80 so that I could invest in better lenses. The N80 has the same metering system as the F100 too, including a spot meter, which is essential to landscape work!

Nathan Cowlishaw

Nathan Cowlishaw

Keith_S

Charlottesville, US
569 posts

#8. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 7

Keith_S Basic Member
Tue 21-Oct-03 08:13 PM

I bought mine at the camera shop when I bought my camera, but I'm sure that you can pick one up either at a local bookstore (our Barnes and Noble usually carries some) or on the web (if you don't mind shopping at Amazon.com).

As for the N80, it's a great camera, a real value when you consider all of the features that you get for the price, and I never had any problems with it.

For landscape photography (which is not my specialty), the only really clear advantage of the F100 is that, although it has the same metering, the steps between exposures go by 1/3 stops instead of 1/2 stops. With negative film, this really doesn't matter, but with slide film, it could make a difference. The faster auto-focus, faster flash synch, faster top shutter speed, etc. that the F100 offers won't be too important for landscape photography, although the ability to meter with manual focus lenses (which you can't do with the N80) could be, if you'd like to use manual focus lenses and don't want to carry a light meter with you.

A couple of things that you might see as advantages of the N80 for landscape photography: you will probably find the N80's on-demand gridlines to be quite helpful when making sure that your horizon is level; you'd have to buy a different viewfinder screen for the F100 to get those lines. Also, the N80 is lighter (although the I don't think that the F100 is heavy, by any means), so you might find it nicer to carry if you are out for a long hike.

Keith
U.S.A.

onesickpuppy

Medical Lake, US
433 posts

#9. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 8

onesickpuppy Registered since 03rd Sep 2003
Tue 21-Oct-03 11:46 PM

Here's my entry.............

My gear is old.........almost as old as me. I decided to start saving for a N80. Wanted the F100, but I don't think i'd live that long, and with interest rates falling, I might have to start paying to have my money in the bank. My sight is failing, I can barely lift the old equipment, so i needed the lighter N80 to become my shining star. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to order the thing, but realalize that i needed to start studying on it to be able to use it. To my surprise, the books that are out are almost as expensive as the camera, so i guess i will have to be dumb founded in using it......unless i win the book

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Josie

Oak Ridge, US
161 posts

#10. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 22-Oct-03 12:10 AM

The MLG for N80 is out of print at Amazon. So far, in my area, it's a bit elusive.

Although it was recommended to my husband by a friend when we decided to buy the camera, I haven't actually seen one before.

nrcowlishaw

Cedar City, US
12 posts

#11. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 22-Oct-03 03:15 PM

Keith,

There was one difference that convinced me to pick the N/F80 over the F100! And that was a $500 gap. When it comes to the Grid, it helps me out alot, especially here in the Southwest where nothing is level. There's mountians, mesas, and sandstone cliffs everywhere. I also like using the Grid lines for artistic reasons, which in a technical sense helps me to compose pictures better.

For a camera with Spot Metering, and only three hundred dollars, it's a good buy all the way.

Yes, it is a bummer that I can't use Manual lenses on this camera. I have a few Russian lenses in M42 mount, and others, but I just keep the AF with the AF, and the M with the M! I can usually find an M42 mount Praktica SLR for under 50 bucks in Mint condition. If I need metering, I just use the spot on my N80!

Even though there's an adaptor available to fit the Russian lenses to my N80, It's kinda retarded. It's like sticking the head of a Raven onto the shoulder of an Eagle!

Nate

Nathan Cowlishaw

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18771 posts

#12. "N80/F880 Guide" | In response to Reply # 7

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Thu 23-Oct-03 02:51 PM

Unfortunately, this Guide has been unobtainable since early this year. Seems that Magic Lantern Guides have had publishing problems.

Your best bet is to find it locally. I acquired one for a member a while back. Another asked me to search. None to be had here, or in LA where I asked some family members to search.

Anthony

Find out more about me on the Moderator Page
"The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

naga

SUNNYVALE, US
71 posts

#13. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 0

naga Registered since 24th Dec 2002
Thu 23-Oct-03 08:57 AM

The photographer in me was asleep all these 30 odd years until last fall in the year of 2002, it enlightened upon me to try a SLR camera. Nikon was etched in rock in my heart due to some unforeseen reason. After much contemplation with the truth, I settled on a Nikon N65 and 3 Nikkor lenses. The Nikon Acquisition Syndrome has caught another human in this planet. Ever since I purchased a N65, my eyes are set on N80. I have been photographing quite intensely ever since and every time I take out my N65, I feel I should have a N80. I have lost countless hours of sleep into thinking how N80 may have improved me as a photographer and how the world is losing a fine photographer. Last weekend, I went to mountains in Western Maryland driving several hours, convincing my 6 month old daughter and her mother to take pictures of fall foliage near lakes and mountains. I could hear the eerie silence and the voice from the above - "Where is your N80 ? You don't have the spot meter capability, Uh? Still using a one wheeled interface ? " I have made up my mind now, it is time I go and buy one for the Christmas this year. And for that I need Keith's Magic Lantern Guide.

Keith_S

Charlottesville, US
569 posts

#14. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 0

Keith_S Basic Member
Thu 23-Oct-03 12:55 PM

So far, we've had some pretty good entries here, and today's the last day for anyone who hasn't yet entered.

Keith
U.S.A.

dgodwin

Tonawanda, US
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#15. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 14

dgodwin Registered since 26th Nov 2002
Thu 23-Oct-03 10:39 PM

I need the magic lantern guide to prop up my table. The one leg is just a little short, and the book is the perfect height to correct this problem. Did I win?

gen

Kent, US
240 posts

#16. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 0

gen Gold Member Nikonian since 16th May 2003
Thu 23-Oct-03 11:44 PM

In all my life, the only thing I’ve ever won is a block of cheese. Ten pounds of high-grade quality Tillamook cheddar cheese. I was only 12 years old at the time, what did I need with a block of cheese? I gave it to my mother who makes the best macaroni and cheese casserole ever. If any of you want the recipe, let me know. I’ll send it to you.

Anyway, I buy lottery tickets all the time. I never win a dime. I fill out all those little entry forms wherever I go, and all I get is telemarketer calls. I click on the popup ad that say “click here to win” and all I get is a virus on my computer!

So based on the fact that the only thing I’ve only won in my entire life is a block of cheese and the fact that I really NEED the magic lantern guide, I think I should be chosen to be the lucky recipient.

I should also mention that I have an N80. I’m a beginner. I like to learn. I like clear well-written instructions. I can really benefit from the magic lantern guide. I honestly believe everyone that has written an entry here needs the magic lantern guide, and I’m no exception.

So I think I should be awarded the magic lantern guide because I won a block of cheese when I was 12 years old. That’s reason enough!

Gen

Yolanda (Gen)
http://www.yolanda.smugmug.com/

jdutta78

Stony Brook, US
4 posts

#17. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 16

jdutta78 Registered since 28th Sep 2003
Fri 24-Oct-03 12:26 AM

Hah ! telepathy !

I just ordered a MB-16 from bhphoto and wondered if I should have considered a magic lantern as well ! and lo and behold, somebody is offering it for free !!!

well it is not that i am greedy over a $20 book, but it just struck me that i can also follow keith's example. in simpler words, when i am done reading the book, i can also offer it for someone needing it.

I have got my F80 after a laborious research on the net, and after a steep learning session with an FM10. I still believe there is a lot more to learn abt this cute F80 and so I am after this book.

10:25pm, hope this is the last mail you read for this contest

best regards,
-joy

Keith_S

Charlottesville, US
569 posts

#18. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 0

Keith_S Basic Member
Fri 24-Oct-03 02:22 AM

Well, it's now officially Friday in Virginia, which means that the contest has come to an end, and I must now pick a winner. First off, let me thank all of you for your participation--there were some very good entries, and it has been very difficult to decide among you. If only I had more than one guide to give!

At any rate, after much consideration, I am declaring Josie to be the winner, for a number of reasons: her entry was top-notch, she's a beginner, I'd hate to have it on my conscience that her family fell apart due to her lack of a guide, and I suspect that she probably can't even say that she's managed to win a prized block of cheddar before (but then, how many of us really can say that, I ask you?).

Josie, send me an e-mail with your address sometime within the next couple of days and I'll send you the guide next week.

Thanks again to all who submitted entries!

Keith
U.S.A.

nrcowlishaw

Cedar City, US
12 posts

#19. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 18

Fri 24-Oct-03 02:28 AM

Congratulations Josie on winning the contest!!! Yahoooo!!!

Nathan Cowlishaw

Nathan Cowlishaw

lstavast

Allen, US
1071 posts

#20. "Great show Keith ..." | In response to Reply # 18

lstavast Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Registered since 01st Jan 2003
Fri 24-Oct-03 10:32 AM

Congrats to Josie - I had a tear in my eye when she invoked the mantle of wife and motherhood, it was touching (and I have no reason be believe other than genuine, good for you!).

Non-commercial, no financial interests plug here:

If you can't locate the N80 Magic Lantern Guide (which I have and found to be good), you can get an alternative from www.bythom.com, I have his F100 and N80 Complete Guide to cd and think highly of their value, lots of good info that will help you be more successful with your camera. ( Thom (the author) has spent some time here at Nikonians.)

Lyle

Lyle

Josie

Oak Ridge, US
161 posts

#21. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 18

Fri 24-Oct-03 11:06 AM

Boy, I am SO excited! Keith, when I actually get to my email (on my other computer on Monday, I'm on my husbands laptop this weekend) I will send you my information. I'm fairly close to you though.
Thanks for all those pulling for me. I was starting to sweat it when I read other good reasons. But, I can honestly tell you that my family will for sure benefit some from it- even at the cost of reading it to my 2yr old as a bedtime story If there's pictures, he'll dig it.

Thanks-

Actually, never won a block of cheese, but I did get lucky and won tickets to see Fleetwood Mac this summer- and it was my birthday! The whole radio listening area heard about it since I get really thrilled over these sorts of things. But, usually, I can't even win a BINGO game...

Keith_S

Charlottesville, US
569 posts

#22. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 21

Keith_S Basic Member
Fri 24-Oct-03 11:44 AM

>But, I can honestly tell you that my family will for sure
>benefit some from it- even at the cost of reading it to
>my 2yr old as a bedtime story If there's pictures, he'll
>dig it.

I can just imagine it now:

Once upon a time, in a kingdom far, far away, lived a knight in shining armor who always carried an N80 with him whenever he went to slay dragons and rescue damsels in distress. One day, while fighting an unusually mean dragon, he set his camera to programed exposure with matrix metering and continuous film advance to take advantage of the 2.5 frames per second shooting rate of his N80, and he selected single servo AF for his focusing. Unfortunately, not having been able to find a Magic Lantern Guide in his kingdon, he did not realize that it would have been better to have set his camera to the closest subject priority dynamic focus setting. The fast-moving dragon was constantly out of focus, as it moved too quickly for the knight to follow it with the single focus point. The dragon, sensing that the knight could not see him clearly, moved quickly to attack the knight and breathed fire on him, mortally wounded the knight. As the knight lie dying in the arms of the young princess, he said: "If only I had been able to spend some time reading the Magic Lantern Guide for my N80, I would have known the folly of single servo focus for action photography..." THE END.

Keith
U.S.A.

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18771 posts

#23. "Congrats and thank you..." | In response to Reply # 22

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Fri 24-Oct-03 01:15 PM

A hearty CONGRATS to Josie! And a THANKS to Keith for giving something back to the community!

Anthony

Find out more about me on the Moderator Page
"The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Keith_S

Charlottesville, US
569 posts

#24. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 21

Keith_S Basic Member
Wed 29-Oct-03 01:39 PM

Josie--I sent you a private message letting you know that I haven't received an e-mail from you yet. If you did send me one, there must have been a problems somewhere along the line, and if you didn't, I hope that you'll get the chance to do so soon.

Keith
U.S.A.

rutherfordphoto

Vancouver, CA
5099 posts

#25. "RE: Contest--Keith gives away a Magic Lantern guide to" | In response to Reply # 0

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 26th Aug 2002
Thu 30-Oct-03 10:18 PM

Thank you Keith for uplifting and promoting the spirit of Nikonians, and I hope Josie enjoys many years of photography with her N80.

Enjoy
Allan, A Comox Valley Nikonian
bigger things are attainable ~ Reach

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

G