Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
yellowdogpaddler

US
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
yellowdogpaddler Registered since 30th Sep 2010
Sat 09-Oct-10 05:43 PM

I must be going nuts....
I was using the D-Lighting setting in the software Capture NX2, where the option was use as shot, off, low, medium, high and extra. I can no longer find that menu palette, only the one that has the options of faster or best quality.

Could someone help me find this palette please?

Thanks,

Doug

Checkmate

Leicester, UK
2188 posts

#1. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 0

Checkmate Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006
Sat 09-Oct-10 07:07 PM

Hello Doug, it's in Camera Settings --> Active D-Lighting --> Unchanged etc.

John | Leicestershire - UK | My Nikonians Gallery | My Website

"To express oneself in seventeen syllables is very diffic" - John Cooper Clarke

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10541 posts

#2. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 10-Oct-10 09:55 AM

I keep the Camera setting for D Lighting turned off. It could be applied after the fact, but I never use it. It does not provide enough fine tuning and can give unexpected results.

The D Lighting in the adjust section provides a great deal of flexibility and can be selectively applied.

Neither affects the RAW file - it is a software step applied to the RAW file. Active D Lighting is different - it not only applies a different tone curve, but it can adjust exposure.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

yellowdogpaddler

US
8 posts

#3. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 10-Oct-10 11:45 PM

Hi John,
Thanks, that did the trick.

Best,

Doug

yellowdogpaddler

US
8 posts

#4. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 2

Sun 10-Oct-10 11:46 PM

Hi Eric,
Thanks... I have my settings on "Low", but knowing that, I will try/test it and see.

Thanks again,

Doug

russg

Phoenix, US
1617 posts

#5. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 2

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007
Tue 19-Oct-10 05:44 PM

>I keep the Camera setting for D Lighting turned off. It
>could be applied after the fact, but I never use it.

My experience is that if you leave Active D Lighting turned to one of the on settings (Low, Med, Hi) in camera, you have the option of changing the setting in post in CNX2 to one of the other on settings or off. Conversely, if you leave the in-camera ADL setting to off, you will not have the option to change the status of ADL in CNX2. Access to the ADL setting drop-down box is no longer available. So, the only way to have the choice of using ADL or not in your image (and I'm not saying that you should necessarily want that) in post is to leave the in-camera setting to one of the on settings.

Russ

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10541 posts

#6. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 5

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 20-Oct-10 12:02 AM

Low is probably a good option, but it has some uncertainty. With Active D-Lighting, some scenes include an adjustment to the exposure - typically underexposing by a half stop or more compared to having the function turned off. While you can adjust exposure in post processing, the actual exposure of the RAW image remains whatever was captured. The post processing imact of Active D-Lighting can be adjusted in post processing - but not the difference in actual image exposure.

ADL is a good function - it's just that you need to be aware that there is a potential impact on exposure that cannot be reversed. It's the uncertainly that causes people to not use ADL unless they are in situation that require it.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

billgreen

US
388 posts

#7. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 6

billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010
Fri 22-Oct-10 11:26 PM

I see on my D3100 that I can turn ADL on/Off but no where do I see where to set low/Med/Hi. Help?

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#8. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 7

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 23-Oct-10 02:32 PM

Hi Bill,

I did some searching and it looks to me that the D3100 only has an ON or OFF choice for Active D-Lighting ADL in camera. Faced with just on/off for things like portraits/people I might be inclined to have it ON to protect blown highlights when shooting and perhaps off for other shooting situations. Either way off/on in camera, you can always adjust it in post-processing.

Also, just in case here you can download a PDF copy of your manual which is really helpful cause then you can do searches:
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16910/~/nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13948/~/nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Len Shepherd

Yorkshire, UK
12722 posts

#9. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 2

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003
Sat 23-Oct-10 02:39 PM

>I keep the Camera setting for D Lighting turned off.
At a recent Nikon Pro Seminar Nikon made the point using D Lighting before taking the exposure is often better - because it reduces exposure prior to taking the photo to ensure maximum highlight detail is retained, and boosts the shadows in camera after taking the photo.
Once highlight detail is lost, using D lighting for the first time in NX 2 cannot put back the lost highlight detail.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4124 posts

#10. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 6

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sat 23-Oct-10 02:41 PM

At ANPAT 10, Nikonians Academy head Mike Hagen said he has ADL on all the time. I don't recall what setting he said he uses. Also I did not hear his reason, not even sure he gave one.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10541 posts

#11. "RE: D-Lighting Setting in Capture NX2" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 24-Oct-10 12:28 PM

<At a recent Nikon Pro Seminar Nikon made the point using D Lighting before taking the exposure is often better - because it reduces exposure prior to taking the photo to ensure maximum highlight detail is retained, and boosts the shadows in camera after taking the photo.
Once highlight detail is lost, using D lighting for the first time in NX 2 cannot put back the lost highlight detail.>

That is the approach I use - but with limitations. I keep Active D Lighting off unless I am in a situation with high contrast that cannot be easily managed with exposure. In the high contrast situations, I use Active D-Lighting. In fact yeserday I used it set on High for about 100 images at a wedding.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

G