Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Capture NX-D and Lightroom

JonK JonK

Is from: Alexandria, US
8600 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife,... Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2004
Sat 15-Sep-18 01:45 PM
I downloaded the Nikon software installer, and it installed Capture NX-D, View NX, Nikon transfer, and a Picture Control utility.

I just spent ten minutes with some Z7 raw files and both Capture NX-D and Lightroom (there’s a hack that changes the model name in the raw file to “D850” so that Lightroom can open the files. Since the D850 and Z7 sensors are not quite the same, the rendering that Adobe will eventually produce for a Z7 file might be even better than what I am looking at). A few random thoughts:

After eight years away from Capture NX-2, it was all nostalgia using NX-D — especially with the return of Control Points! But I’m still not sure if NX-D is yet up to the level of the old NX-2.

For us Lightroom users, having NX-D should make it fairly easy to create a Lightroom Develop preset that will render images close to what NX-D — and, therefore the camera — does. I’m thinking of shooting a Color Checker with a given Picture Control setting and attempting to match the NX-D rendering in Lightroom. Of course, to do this I have to wait for my Z7 to arrive…

The Picture Control utility should be interesting for JPG shooters and for Capture NX-D users.

Regarding the raw images from the Z7, they look superb — which is really no surprise.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

G