Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Power Off During An Update

wthalliii wthalliii

Is from: Dallas, US
627 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wthalliii Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2004
Tue 02-Mar-21 09:24 PM
I'm just curious. Has anyone ever accidentally turned off the power during a firmware update? And what happened when you did?

I'm a retired firmware programmer, so I know what goes on with firmware updates, and why that can cause a problem. The basic problem is that normally the firmware is copied from flash to RAM to execute it every time the device boots up. Then, when you start a firmware update, the flash is erased and rewritten. If the rewrite fails for some reason such as loss of power, at that point, you can't reboot the device, because there's no valid program in the flash.

My company had a device that involved firmware updates, but we did it in such a way that the part of the firmware that did a firmware update was never erased. If you removed power during the update, it would reboot and the update would just begin again.

It sounds to me from the tone of the warning to not remove power that Nikon's firmware can't handle it. I'm guessing you'd have to send your camera in for repair.

Bill Hall
My web site
Theater pictures (mostly my picutres)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Power Off During An Update