Are you on a Basic or Silver membership? Take the full advantage of a Gold membership and use the voucher SpringG21 for a 1/3rd off the regular price. Valid through May 10th.

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Read/Write Speed difference - Sony XQD cards

mealsop mealsop

Is from: Norton, US
35 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mealsop Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2017
Sun 28-Feb-21 03:07 PM
I do look at the memory card reviews but do not base my purchases on the read/write speeds of the cards. It always seemed to me that the differences reported in the reviews did not have a discernible difference in the "real" world.

I've had to rethink that position.

I have 3 of the more recent 120GB Sony XQD cards which I had been using exclusively with a Z 7II. Another 3 of the older 128GB Sony XQD cards have been used in a Z 6II and a Z 6.

While saving camera setting to a BIN file I kept noticing the Z 7II was saving the settings noticeably faster than the Z 6II, which didn't seem right since both have dual processors. On a hunch I tried the 120GB Sony cards in the Z 6II, which resulted in the Z 6II saving the settings BIN just as fast as the Z 7II.

So, the cards used can make a noticeable difference in how fast the camera saves files to the media card. If the difference is clearly detectable (without using calibrated measuring instruments) when saving a small settings BIN file then larger files can be expected to accentuate the read/write speed difference between the two media cards.

My strategy going forward will be to use the fastest cards I have on hand as the primary media in all my camera bodies and carry the slower, previous generation cards as backup.

I'm beginning to think one could go broke trying to keep up with the latest media cards.

Mark

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Read/Write Speed difference - Sony XQD cards

G