Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Z6II and Z7II firmware update announced for Feb 25

ericbowles ericbowles

Is from: Atlanta, US
15305 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landsc... Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 18-Feb-21 03:01 PM
Nikon has announced the release next week of a firmware update for the Z6II and Z7II. this update was planned from before the release of the cameras. The big items in the update are improvements to AF performance - particularly Eye AF, and 4k 60 fps video. As usual, there will be the typical bug fixes and other improvements to performance.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-nikon/press-room/press-release/kg1fn9ef/NIKON-TO-RELEASE-Z-7II-AND-Z-6II-MIRRORLESS-CAMERA-FIRMWARE-VER.-1.10-ON-FEBRUARY-25.html

Here is a review of the new firmware from Ricci:

Ricci mentioned there is a big improvement in Eye AF speed and the distance at which Eye AF is activated and has some videos showing that improvement.

My take is this represents both improvement in Eye AF and competitively matching the display Nikon's Eye AF activation distance with Canon and Sony. I'm not sure the extent to which it really matters since DOF is such that Face Detect would provide in-focus eyes. Nikon had originally set Eye AF to switch to Face AF at nearer distances than competitors which created an inaccurate perception of AF capability.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery
Workshops and Private Instruction

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

G