Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Taking the Z Train

DaveSoderlund DaveSoderlund

Is from: Reno, US
1604 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DaveSoderlund Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 29th May 2010
Fri 23-Oct-20 01:54 PM
Well, I did it. After watching the roll-out and development of the Z system from the sidelines for a couple of years, I decided to take the plunge. I found a great deal from a friend of friend on a virtually new Z6 (less than 1000 shutter clicks), which should arrive in a few days. Darrell Young's Z6 book arrived yesterday, and I bought and downloaded Steve Perry's AF guide, so I have plenty of studying to do.

The Z6 will come with the FTZ adapter, and for the time being I'll just use my F-mount glass while I'm figuring out the new camera. At the moment I am undecided about which Z lens I want to build a new system around. Having used the 24-120 f/4 as my main lens for six years, first on a D750 and then on a D850 (and the equivalent focal length 16-80 DX on a D7100 before that), I'm not sure I'll be happy with the more limited focal length range of the Z 24-70 f/4 (though I plan to explore this by putting a my 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 -- a lens I've barely used -- on the Z6 to begin with). I am also not sure that the Z 24-200 will be an adequate replacement. The Z lens I'm really interested in is the S-line 24-105 that's on the roadmap but not yet announced. Once the 24-200 becomes more widely available I may get one both as a place-holder and as a future one-lens travel alternative, assuming we ever get the chance to travel again(!). Alternatively, a good idea on a used 24-70 f/4 could call my name...

Unless I am unexpectedly disappointed in the Z6, I think my D850 will be going out the door. Although I've used it as my main camera for three years, I have never grown to love it -- it just feels like a brick in my hands (unlike the D750, which for some reason felt like an extension of me). Also, a look back over three years of images showed me that I haven't really taken advantage of the extra resolution afforded by the D850's sensor. If I decide later that I just can't live without 45.7 MP for some reason, there's always the Z7...

We are headed to Death Valley and the Alabama Hills soon, and I plan to take the Z6 to shoot along side the D850. It should be a good test.

Now -- where's the club car or the Z Train???

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Taking the Z Train