Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5
Piscator Piscator

Is from: Minneapolis, US
192 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Piscator Platinum Member Nikonian since 06th May 2008
Sun 16-Oct-22 08:55 AM
...well, it is promising but a bit buggy at the moment.

Although I am running an older NVIDIA GeForce RTX on a 3 yr old laptop and had zero issues, right off the bat those folks running the latest and greatest "high speed/low drag" NVIDIA graphics cards are reporting issues. The On1 forums are full of these issues. Sounds like there will be an update to address this in very short order.

Initial Impressions:

AI Mask/Super Select AI: Ambitious, and I am glad they are taking this on, but right now...doesn't deliver as promised. Compared to LrC, well, not even close, unfortunately. Super Select does properly ID, but especially on anything other than background, foreground, halos abound...so much so that it is almost unusable.

Tack Sharp AI...well it works, but not as well as Topaz Sharpen AI standalone plugin or Photo AI. The strength and clarity sliders seem to be all or nothing within PR '23, with JPEGs especially, but also with .NEF and .DNG. And Fuji .RAF files, well on my computer they just crash the program altogether (Topaz also seems to have serious issues with .RAF files). In addition, and this may be just user error, trying to use Super Select AI & sharpening only the desired portion of an image doesn't seem to work all the time. Sometimes it works (.NEF ) and sometimes it doesn't, applies sharpening to the entire image (JPEG). This might also be quickly addressed in an update, as I ain't the only one on the On1 forums to have an issue with this.

All in all...could have used another month in development.

But On1 has always been pretty responsive and they are taking on a pretty broad and very ambitious challenge. I suspect working pros will still not be moved off of either C1 or PS/LR. PR 2022.5 ended up being a very good "all in one" solution for my use case w/Topaz and Affinity.

I still think C1 is the best of the bunch, but after seeing their "early pre-order" discount for C122 users (33% off plus an addl 20% off for pre-order, and that equals $160??! For improved culling, and not much else? Holy guacamole!) I think I am going to try to sink or swim with On1.

--... ...-- -.. . -.- ----- -..- --.-
fotosean.com

G