Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Using the Lab Color Mode to Enhance a Photos Colors

Sat 14-Jul-18 07:03 PM
My Nikon D500 produces photographs in the RGB color mode. When I bring the Photos into Photoshop CS6, I change the mode to the Lab color mode.

In this mode, you can easily enhance the lightness and colors in a photograph using the curves adjustment layer. For example, here is a photo of a very intense storm over the central mountains in Oregon; the brilliant color sky was amazing, never seen any thing like it.

Click on image to view larger version

Because the sky was so bright, the rest of the scene was under exposed.

I placed this RGB photo in Photoshop CS6 and immediately changed its mode to the Lab color space. Next I placed a curves adjustment layer over the base layer. I used the "L" channel (the lightness channel) to brighten the under exposure area. Then I used the "a" channel (the magenta to green channel) to intensify the sky and the reflection in the water, and the greenery in the photo. Then used the "b" channel (the yellow to blue channel) to further modify the sky and scenery. Here is the results using only the curves adjustment layer:

Click on image to view larger version

Visit my Gallery

Visit

Enjoy photography with my Nikon D500 camera and have fun with Photoshop CS6
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G