New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Tagging a large library of images

benttop benttop

Is from: Puyallup, WA,, US
651 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
benttop Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2016
Thu 01-Jun-17 06:35 PM
I've been trying to figure out how to ask this question, since there are a number of issues I wish to address. I guess I need to lay out the background first:

I've been shooting digital since 1999, and I've accumulated almost 3TB of image files. In the beginning it seemed I would need to be able to find things so I created a folder-based system that used both the date and event name to help me locate images - like this:

2017-05-15_CedarRiverTrail
2017-05-28_Mom-Birthday
2017-05-31_Osprey

The obvious problem with this method is what if you shoot an Osprey while on your walk on the Cedar River Trail? Where did you shoot the Osprey on 5/31/17? In a few years that information has faded from your memory and those images are not findable. I now have thousands of these folders, all in chronological order by year, but I'm lost to say the least.

It is clear I need to tag every image with as many tags as applicable to enable me to group that image with others that have like tags. I'm aware I can add tags to metadata, but all of these images are not on local drives - I only keep this year's images on the laptop, and all other years are on backup drives across the network.

So I need to have the ability to locate tags in a large library of images located on the network. Can Lightroom or Photo Mechanic do this? Ideally I'd want to supply a set of keywords and have a screen full of images appear that match the keywords, with their locations.

How are you guys doing this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Steve Cavanaugh -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tagging a large library of images

G