New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Wanted: Good source for Photo Shop beginner

Selwin

Is from: Waddinxveen, NL
479 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Selwin Registered since 06th Dec 2002
Tue 18-Nov-03 10:13 AM
Hello all,

I am looking for a good Photo Shop learning source for a beginning slide scanner.

Pretty soon I will have a Coolscan V at my desk, but I'm completely unaware of what I can do with Photoshop (other than importing and saving images and some sharpening and resizing). The machine that I will connect my new CS-V to has Photoshop 7.0 (Full Version) running. Should I dig into colour charts, masks, RGB 14bit and stuff or can I just start scanning?

My purposes (the reasons I'm buying the scanner) are the following:
- printing slides up to 30x45 cm (12x18 inch? 11x17 inch?) without losing them at the lab or having them scratched (i.e. sending the files instead of the slides themselves)
- sharing images amongst friends - Nikonians and non-Nikonians alike
- for my (Civil Engineering) work: enlarging details of images to see crack withs and other stuff.
- sending images over the net to family in the US
- build web site with my images
- Conserve my slide collection for future generation
- Scan negatives (colour and B&W) out of the big messy photo box from the attic to see what was going on around the house even before I was born...

I guess that for the printing of images (first purpose) the colours are pretty important. So it's good to gain some knowlegde of colours, monitor calibration and stuff.
For the concrete crack stuff I guess I will use some sharpening tools

Thanks for your input.

Selwin
Travel Photographer from the Netherlands
Web Site: www.sansel.demon.nl

G