New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Adobe Premiere Pro Classroom in a Book (2022 release)

Obregon Obregon

Is from: Southold, US
3068 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas.  Charter Member
Sat 10-Sep-22 04:35 PM | edited Wed 14-Sep-22 10:39 AM by Obregon
Premiere Pro is one of the most recommended non-linear editors of video. It also enjoys a special connection with a number of other useful tools in the Adobe Creative Suite. However, opening Premiere Pro presents an intimidating view. There is not much that is intuitive in the software.

Luckily there are a number of different ways to learn how to use the software; the Classroom in a Book is one of the best. Each chapter examines an aspect of the software, using a combination of straight instruction and practical exercises, using videos included on a disk in the paper version or downloaded from the publisher’s web site. It’s not easy to learn Premiere Pro. The author suggests it will take almost 24 hours to complete the lessons and I found that to be the minimum time. (If you can’t devote that much time, consider a simpler piece of software.) Even then you will have to work on other videos to perfect your editing skills. After several years of using Premiere Pro, I still find myself referring to this book in some situations.

Purchasing the book permits you to download an epub or a pdf of the book as well as to launch the on-line web edition. (There is no mobi/kindle edition available at this time.) I prefer the web-edition because it includes videos that are lacking in the downloaded editions. I usually open both the web edition and Premiere Pro (which you have to subscribe to separately) on my computer, so that I can switch back and forth while doing the exercises, without juggling a hard copy. As a side note, if you open the videos to full sized, when you close the video you will be returned to the top of a page, even if your video is located somewhere else. I now hide the table of contents so that the videos are a little larger on the screen, although I sometimes have a little trouble interpreting the videos, without expanding them to full size. I hope I’m not insulting a real person when I say that the apparently AI voice on the videos leaves me cold. I should mention that I find the paper book a little handier than the electronic one when I’m in the middle of editing and need a quick refresher on some point.

This is a technical manual that tells you how to use the Premiere Pro software. The committed editor will have to look elsewhere to learn which techniques are best to tell a story.

I learn well from manuals, and the Classroom in a Book, with its electronic text is as good as it gets when it comes to learning a difficult subject.

G