Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

The Travel Photography Book by Scott Kelby

Obregon Obregon

Is from: Southold, US
3059 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas.  Charter Member
Sun 10-Apr-22 11:48 AM
Although I have at least one basic pedagogical disagreement with Scott Kelby, I have to say that even though I’ve taken travel photographs for almost three-quarters of a century, I found this book quite useful, and even added a few new ideas to my mental camera bag.

The book starts out suggesting how and why to research your destination and describes what to look for in a good travel photograph. After discussing the gear you should (or shouldn’t) bring on your trip, the author jumps right into photographing people and other subjects. He concludes by telling the reader what to do with those images when you get home. Pleasantly, even though he is an interchangeable lens camera guy, he extols the virtues of cell phone, a lesson that it took me many years to learn.

When he started to talk about post processing near the end of the book, I thought, how can he deal with this subject in 26 pages. Well, of course he presumes you know how to use Lightroom and Photoshop in general, but the tips he gives are useful reminders of the capabilities of Adobe’s software, even for those who have used it for many years.

I disagree with him about a few things. He says read the “tell me all about it” books after you read this tip book. I am certain that if you read the books that tell you all about things like exposure and the qualities of light before you read this book, you will get far more out of his tips. Still that doesn’t affect the validity and usefulness of his tips. He also shows a willingness to pay people along the way. I can see hiring a guide or a “fixer” (what a poor choice of a word!) but hiring a model would be more difficult for someone who isn’t claiming business expenses.

Being a tip book, the subject of the sets of tips is sometimes only slightly connected. However, the tips are useful. It reminded me of my old Ranger colonel who used to say “you’ll learn in three months what it took me six campaigns to learn”. Even though I’ve traveled the world collecting images, Kelby still had a few things to teach me. Even after you finish the cover-to-cover, I’d recommend a quick look-see before any trip.

The bad news is that Kelby still indulges his off-beat sense of humor, but I’ve learned to put up with the chaff to get to the seeds.

G