Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Photoshop Layers & Selections Workshp by Glyn Dewis

Obregon Obregon

Is from: Southold, US
3065 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas.  Charter Member
Thu 23-Sep-21 02:36 PM
When Adobe Lightroom first came on the scene, I almost abandoned Photoshop. Lightroom allowed me to make overall adjustments to my images more easily and instinctively. The one thing I couldn’t (and can’t) do was precisely target my adjustments to particular parts of the image (in my case the birds that are often the subjects of my images). For that I transfer my pictures to Photoshop where I can use layers and selections far more precisely.

Layers is Photoshop’s procedure for keeping adjustments aligned and selections refers to the method of targeting adjustments to particular areas of the photograph. Dewis begins the book giving a short course in how layers work. In doing so he limits his discussion to essential features, suggesting Matt Kloskowski’s earlier book on layers for more details. The author then demonstrates how to use the various selection tools available in Photoshop. He spends time on the Pen Tool which can easily scare off new users, and gives short shrift (in my opinion) to the select subject tool. Even though I regularly use select and mask, I sharpened my skills by reading his chapter. There is even an explanation of the gimmicky sky replacement tool. The author shows how to clean up selections, spending a lot of time on hair selection, and even a few ways to cheat on the selections. Dewis even throws in a few thoughts on random problems you might encounter in Photoshop.

The main method of instruction is demonstration, using files you can download to your computer from the publisher's web site. (You have to subscribe to Photoshop.) If you do, you might want to consider the electronic version of the text so you don’t have to juggle a book.

All though the explanations are excellent, the author doesn’t spend much time showing you how to make adjustments to the selections. In fact, it would be wise to have a good understanding of Photoshop before starting the book. I would, for example, have liked to see more time in using the selections for compositing.

Another thing that is not mentioned is the use of a pen tablet for making selections. If you intend to make a lot of selections you should explore purchasing one.

This book is simple and straight forward. Even an experienced user might learn something new about selections.

G