Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

The Meaning in the Making by Sean Tucker

Obregon Obregon

Is from: Southold, US
3065 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas.  Charter Member
Mon 13-Sep-21 09:34 AM
It’s said the photographer’s most important tool is his or her mind. Just as you might improve your photographs by getting a longer lens, you might also want to tune your mind.

Sean Tucker’s book aims at doing just that. The author discusses all the things you can adjust for a better mind set for photography (and other arts, and perhaps even life), like learning to trust your instincts or worrying less about developing a following. He does this by taking stories from his own life and the life of other artists, and the pronouncements of a few psychologists to illustrate the mental pitfalls and the ways to overcome them.

Tucker is an ex-clergyman and sometimes the book sounds a bit like a lengthy sermon. At other times, like his own personnel catharsis. This might prove useful to some people in improving their mind for art. Sermons have been around for a long time so presumably they work for some people. The example of Tucker’s catharsis might serve as a model as well.

I’ve read many self-help books over the years in my own search for greater vision in my photography. They seem remarkably repetitious as to what they recommend. For me, I’ve gotten just as much from Ricky Nelson’s song, “Garden Party”: “ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself”.

If you’ve never read one of these self-help books, or if you find that every one you read tunes your mind a bit more, this book is no better or worse than the lot. Maybe you can respond to a good sermon.

G