Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Scott Kelby's Lightroom 7 Point System

Obregon Obregon

Is from: Southold, US
3064 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas.  Charter Member
Fri 27-Aug-21 06:50 PM
I used to be a great advocate of photography instruction books that taught the theory behind functions in Lightroom and similar software, like the various sliders that control tonality. I arrogantly railed against “tip” books that never explained why certain functions worked but just told you to move a certain slider a certain distance for a certain effect. I said give people a fish and you feed them for a day, but give them fishing rods and you feed them for life. I’ve come to realize that I may learn the former way, but not everyone does.

Scott Kelby’s 7 point system is something like a glorified tip book. The reader downloads 21 pictures and then processes them in order in the develop module. The seven points are the steps you take in processing each picture. You follow along with Kelby as he suggest what settings in the develop module to set in order to make a better looking image from your original shot. Each step includes a photograph of the changed image. The theory is that by following the steps of processing by rote, you will learn how to process your own photographs. The small screen shoots of the sliders are difficult to see but the written explanation is clear enough so that you don’t really need to see them well.

I also used to advocate getting a paper book so that you could keep it for reference. I find that doing the exercises this way requires that you look from screen to book and back while you play with your mouse and/or keyboard. I’ve found that for this type of exercise book, you might be better buying the kindle version, so that you can easily switch back and forth from the kindle to Lightroom on the same monitor. (You do have to subscribe to Lightroom from Adobe.)

This book will only tell you how to process an image in the develop module. You will have to learn elsewhere how to download photographs, and import them into Lightroom to do the exercises.

The book covers both Lightroom Classic (the computer based program) and Lightroom cloud. I never use the cloud version and I found the parenthetical references to parallel processing in software I never use distracting at first but I became inured. And then we come to Kelby’s sense of humor. Some folks like it. I don’t, but like the superfluous cloud language, I’ve become inured.

As an experienced user there were not many new ideas in the book, although it was useful to be reminded of a few that I’ve forgotten. There are probably quicker ways to get a refresher. My own process is slightly different, probably because of my subject matter and history with Lightroom and Photoshop. Once you get used to the Kelby 7 point method, you may well decide on your own process.

If you are a new user, and haven’t been able to get the hang of editing a picture in Lightroom, this may be just the book for you.

G