Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Adobe Premiere Pro: A Complete Course and Compendium

Obregon Obregon

Is from: Southold, US
3059 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas.  Charter Member
Mon 19-Jul-21 06:54 PM
Adobe Premiere Pro: A Complete Course and Compendium of Features by Ben Goldsmith

There are several different non-linear video editors out there; one of the most popular is Adobe Premiere Pro. It can be used to create wonderful films. It is also quite complex and even with lots of study and practice, most folks will never learn to use all of its capabilities. Just looking at the interface when one turns it on can be daunting. There is nothing instinctive about it.

Rocky Nook deserves praise for undertaking an instruction manual that is a hybrid of text based and tutorial manual. The first part of the book is the course book. This relies upon downloading files that are used for practical exercises. The book provides step-by-step practical instruction in how to load the files into the program and manipulate them to create a video, including things like adjusting color and sound. (You need to subscribe to Premiere Pro separately.) The course provides enough explanation that the reader should be able to put together a simple but proficient video.

The compendium is a text that describes what each of the Premier tools can do, and with more details and permutations. For example, the course shows you how to add a music background to your video and adjust its volume. In the compendium, one learns, for example, how to adjust the volumes in certain frequencies to emphasize or deemphasize them.

My own preference would be for more instruction to be provided through practical exercises rather than text. For me, it makes more of an impression to do rather than just read. Additionally, performing a step in context also shows me how a particular tool might be used more than just reading about the tool.

I've been using Premiere Pro for several years now, and consider myself somewhat proficient. Yet I learned new and quicker ways of accomplishing some editing task from both course and compendium.

I cannot remember how to perform every function described in the compendium, but I was made aware of functions, and where I could find them when I returned to the book for reference.

This is a really heavy, large, unwieldy book even with a big desk and adequate lighting, I found it difficult to go back and forth from paper copy to computer. I recommend getting the package of on-line book and paper copy. You can switch back and forth between the book and Premiere Pro by a keystroke for the course and later use the paper for reference.

The book will show you little about how to capture the videos you want to edit, or how to create an artistic product. I find myself using on-line tutorials, reading Adobe's help web site, and watching plenty of videos and movies. This is not the end of your video editing education but it is a good beginning.

G