Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Night Sky Photography by Adam Woodworth

Obregon Obregon

Is from: Southold, US
3059 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas.  Charter Member
Mon 22-Mar-21 11:06 AM
If you are the kind of photographer, who wants to spend an hour or two capturing several images and then burnishes each in Lightroom and Photoshop for a few minutes this book is not for you. Even if you are willing to spend a little more time and you start this book with the chapters on case studies, you may be discouraged. If on the other hand, you are willing to spend 8 hours or more on getting and preparing a magnificent land- and starscape, this is a great choice for you.

Adam Woodward tells you exactly how to make such a magnificent image by taking multiple shots of both the land and the sky at night and combining them for astounding views. Even though Woodward covers things that might seem basic, like exposure and focusing, this is no primer. Instead, after showing you what you need to know about equipment, he develops every step in detail from planning to the final finishing of the image in Photoshop. He assumes you are already familiar with the tools you use and paints with a broad though sufficient brush for experienced photographers. Even when he discusses software with which most of photographers have little experience, like the star stacking software Sequator, he uses a broad brush, He apparently figures people engaged in this kind of project will be able to figure out the quirks.

His photographs are beautiful. I would be proud to have made any of these images. On the other hand, the amount of planning involved has so far only allowed me to make daylight scouting trips of the possible locations in my area. But the author provides plenty of help in this and all phases. (Thanks Adam for letting me know that Planit Pro mobile app has a tool for telling me the best nights to photograph the Milky Way.) He also suggests many different ways to achieve the desired results in Photoshop. I was astounded to see that even in the digital world; there is a use for Photoshop's Dust & Scratches filter.

If you are a rank beginner, this is not the book for you. If on the other hand you are an experienced photographer, looking to try your hand at something new, and willing to spend hours creating that "hero" shot, this book will be worth your time.

G