Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

The Nikon Creative Lighting System, 3rd Edition by Mike Hagen

Obregon Obregon

Is from: Southold, US
3070 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas.  Donor Ribbon awarded for the contribution to the 2016 campaign Charter Member
Sun 21-Jun-15 09:08 AM
I previously reviewed the second edition of this book, and gave a favorable review. This edition adds a new speedlight and several newer cameras to the lineup of items in the Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS). (CLS is the Nikon system that allows for the controlling of multiple flashes from a single point.) Rather than create a new review of this excellent book, I’m going to copy heavily from my old review, with a few additional points.

The book deals with each of the Nikon speedlights and cameras capable of being used with the system, including discontinued models. After a brief background review and quick start guide, the author delves into the nature of flash, and then offers separate chapters on the SB-500, 600, 700, 800, 900 and 910 speedlights. There is also a chapter on the SU-800 commander, the SB R-200 flashes and Nikon's ring-light kit. Each of these chapters explains each and every button, switch, and menu on these units in sufficient detail to use them properly, including Hagen's recommendations on settings. The images of the equipment and screens are ample to show what must be done. The author recognizes the complexity of the equipment and offers a linear plan for using the equipment to accomplish the lighting task. He also explains the cameras that fit into the system and how to set them. Examples are provided, with the general details of how CLS was used, and finally there are recommendations for ancillary equipment like umbrellas and stands and even batteries.

One of the best things about the book is that it concentrates on the automated processes of the speedlights (although it does cover manual set-up as well.) Given the ease and accuracy of the automated systems developed by the Nikon engineers, it makes sense to rely upon these systems as much as possible rather than return to the dark ages of guide number calculation. On the other hand, Hagen provides information on manual flash, including guide numbers.

The task Hagen deals with is immense since each of the pieces of equipment is quite complex in its own right. Readers only need read the instructions for the pieces of equipment they own since matters applicable to all are covered in separate chapters. Hagen's writing is quite clear, and leaves no unanswered questions about the operation of particular pieces of equipment. On the other hand this really is a technical manual about the equipment. The examples of actual application of the equipment are useful but can only give a taste of what is possible. To get the most out of the equipment requires further reading on possible set-ups, like the excellent series of books by Joe McNally. However, no book is better than this one at explaining the technical side of CLS.

I note that some of the images of the screens on the back of the speedlights are a little dark. I realize that this is true of the actual screens, but in the interests of ease of reading, it would have been nice if the images had been brightened a little.

I noted a few small typos, like the omission of the D800 from a long list of CLS capable cameras, but the camera was covered in the actual discussion so I don’t consider the typos critical.

A question owners of the 2nd edition might ask is, should I update to the third edition. If you’ve added a flash that was not covered in the 2d edition my answer is yes. If, on the other hand, you had a CLS capable camera covered by the 2d edition and have upgraded the camera, you probably are familiar enough with the system so that you don’t need this book. On the other hand, if you have Nikon CLS equipment and don’t have any edition, you should probably buy this book.

In the interest of full disclosure, the book is sponsored by Nikonians.

G