Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

"Seeing Landscapes: the Creative Process Behind Great Photographs" by Charlie Waite

Obregon Obregon

Is from: Southold, US
3065 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas.  Charter Member
Mon 09-Jul-01 09:05 AM
We are surrounding by images waiting to be taken, some of which may make great photographs but most of which will not be worth the film or memory that will be committed to them. Mastering the technology is one thing, but selecting the part of the world to put a frame around is another.

When someone in an outdoor photography newsgroup recommended "Seeing Landscapes: the Creative Process Behind Great Photographs" by Charlie Waite, I got very excited. The title reminded me of one of my old favorites "Photography & the Art of Seeing" by Freeman Patterson. The title made me hope that this book would zero in on our way of looking at landscapes, on deciding what we should put the frame around.

I was disappointed. "Seeing Landscapes" is a great collection of Waite's work. If you are the kind of person who can learn by just studying another's work, this book will do the trick. Otherwise the brief narrative that accompanies each picture will not help you develop a cohesive way of seeing landscapes. Oh, you will find a few "rules": be patient; look for strong lines; capitalize on color differences; don't let the near shore cut off a reflection in a body of water. But don't expect to come to the landscape with a new vision. Hopefully, that's in someone else's book.

G