Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Warning about Selling to KEH. "Bait-and-Swich"?

MaverickRK

Is from: La Jolla, US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MaverickRK Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2009
Sat 30-Jan-21 06:45 PM
I have read a lot of good reviews about KEH, which is why I chose to try them out to sell my Nikon D810. I unfortunately had a very different experience.

My original online quote, with condition "Like New Minus" was for $1085. This got supplanted by a new quote after they received it, and was only for $765, without any explanation. When I finally was able to reach someone on the phone about this discrepancy, they said something about signs of corrosion under the flash and wear on the bottom around the tripod mount. I knew this was not true (I had photographed extensively what I sent them), and certainly would not warrant a $320 reduction in value, so I asked them to send it back to me, as I knew I could sell it for much more considering its pristine condition. I presumed it would be returned in the same way I sent it, with all the original Nikon bags and packing material, which I had judiciously saved when I first bought the camera. It was not.

In the images below, you can see what I sent them. Note that the camera strap had never even been taken out of its sleeve as I did not use it. What they sent me back had been loosly thrown in the box with ziplocks and rubber bands.

There was also no corrosion under the pop up flash, nor excessive wear around the tripod mount.

The loss of the original packing material just makes it more difficult for me to sell “like new”, which the camera and all accessories are.

I am left to conclude that KEH gives out “imaginary” quotes online in order to get customers to send their gear in, and then just routinely changes the quote for no reason, figuring that the customer will not want to go through the bother of getting the equipment returned and then trying to sell it themselves. It is basically a bait-and-switch. What I find particularly abhorrent is that the “inspectors” do not even have the decency to save the original manufacturer's packing materials that came in with the products, and then just use grocery store rubber bands and plastic bags to replace them, should the customer refuse to go along with the scheme.

I emailed KEH about this, complete with extensive supporting photographs, and gave them two business days to respond, before I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and post on Nikonians. It has now been five days and I have not heard from them.

You might have better luck selling them equipment, but I will not be using them again. Plus this whole process took over a month, including shipping time. (Admittedly a few days of that was due to FedEx holding the package in Georgia a week before Christmas.)

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery

G