Video is now available from the webinar held 14-JAN-2021 with nature photographer and Nikonian Marsel van Oosten. >>>> View the video on this page. Make sure you're logged in.

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Sending lens to APS -- Should I send my camera as well?

benveniste benveniste

Is from: Boston Area, US
11436 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002
Fri 30-Oct-20 10:38 AM
The time has come, the Walrus said, to squeak of many things.

My 17-35mm f/2.8D has been squeaking for about 8(!) years now. But a couple of days ago, I trotted it out and it refused to focus at all. Only after moving the focusing ring manually a few times did the squeak and AF operation return.

I haven't made a final decision, but I'm leaning towards having the lens repaired. Is it worth sending in my D800 at the same time for a checkup and a thorough sensor cleaning? Nikon recommends having the camera serviced "every three to five years," and I've yet to do so.

Yes, I know it's a $500+ repair for a lens that's barely worth that much, but I really like using that range and I don't have anything else with an aperture ring between 20mm and 35mm.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

G