Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Repair advice needed

maxpixel

Is from: Houston, US
17 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
maxpixel Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2009
Tue 27-Oct-20 04:04 PM
While hiking in the Smoky Mountains along a creek I slipped on a wet boulder and fell on to the boulders and rocks along the bank. The D850 with my Nikon AFS 24-70 VR lens was smashed into one of the boulders. As you can see in the photo the front of the lens was broken with enough impact to compress the thread of Polarizing filter so that it cannot be removed. The zoom ring on the lens will barely move and the aperture will only move with great force. In my opinion the lens is beyond repair. The D850 should be inspected for damage and repaired if necessary. However the insurance company wants an estimate to repair both before they will settle the claim.
I have used the Nikon repair service before with reasonable good results but have not used them in years. I have not used APS Nikon service before, but have read many good repair reports. Both estimate about the same initial estimate for the lens repair and perhaps it is repairable, but will not know until they see it. My concern is that if it is considered repairable, I want the best place to do it, if I decide to keep it afterward. My thought is if I can get the insurance company to reimburse me for the lens repair, take the money and apply it to a new lens. I don't think it will ever be the same as it was.

What I need help from this forum is where to send it considering their recent experience with either repair facility. Any advice or suggestions as to how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery

G