New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Does it worth it?

Mon 22-Sep-14 01:30 PM
Here I come to my fellow nikonians in seek of advice about a Nikkor ED AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 D...

1) Should I sell this lens "as is" for the best offer I can get?

2) Should I send it again for repairs and brace for a $450 impact?

Any other suggestions other than just give up in Nikon lenses?

Reasoning for the question:

In June, 2013 I sent my Nikkor AF-S 80-200 2.8 for repairs at Nikon Canada (Mississauga) . The autofocus was operating normally for about 30 to 60 seconds, and then would stop to move. The indication of focus inside of the camera would function normally if I move the focus ring. According with the repair invoice, the EPR Electrical Circuit was replaced. Total cost was C$ 446.34 after taxes and shipping. Does not include the shipping to send it in.

From the day I received the lens until last week, I used this lens only 8 times. Short uses, around 15 min each. Last week, after 2 minutes shooting a soccer game, the autofocus was gone again. The only difference from the first time defect is that now the autofocus is gone for good. Even after days of "rest", it will not move.

Nikon Canada contacted... This is the answer:
Hi Helder,
Our records show your unit was repaired in June of 2013 for an autofocus problem and we needed to replace an electrical circuit in your lens. We provided you with a six (6) month warranty from that date for any related problems and unfortunately that warranty has expired. You will be given another estimate for this repair depending on what the issue is. Please see the form below for further instructions on how to send it to us for servicing:

That's it friends, any help will be appreciated.

Helder

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Does it worth it?

G