Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Z7 : Your opinion

Rassie Rassie

Is from: Milton, CA
8036 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Z7 : Your opinion"

Rassie Gold Member Awarded for his win at the Nikonians Best 2016 Photo Contest Ribbon awarded for his generous contribution to the 2019 Fundraising campaign Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Tue 17-Nov-20 06:11 PM | edited Tue 17-Nov-20 06:33 PM by Rassie
Remember the DX cameras allow a 50% apparent longer reach than an FX camera with the same lens.

So, putting the same lens on the D850 with its larger sensor the animal is smaller in the photo than when shooting the same animal with the D500 with the same lens. You therefore have to crop the D850 image in order to look the same as the D500. When you crop the D850 image to DX dimensions you reduce the pixels from ~46MP to ~20MP, the same as the D500. Cropping degrades the IQ so while the full frame images are cleaner with less noise than a DX image, when you crop FX down to DX size you end up with more or less the same image quality as the DX camera. In other words you lose the advantages of the better IQ of a full frame image when you crop it to DX size. So a cropped FX image in this instance is no better than one shot with DX with the same lens.

The only way to maintain the better IQ of the FX sensor is to use a 50% longer lens on the same animal, and now you're talking big bucks. Alternatively you can fit a 1,4X teleconverter to the lens but then you suffer a loss of light and autofocus in less than stellar light can be problematic.

Further, the D500 is superior in frame rate and autofocus capabilities for wildlife compared to the D850. In my opinion you already have the best wildlife camera body available in the Nikon stable. For anything else the Z7 is more than capable, so I wouldn't change anything if I were in your position.

My Nikonians gallery

A general, generic topic Z7 : Your opinion [View all] , ilanifer , Tue 17-Nov-20 01:14 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Z7 : Your opinion