Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Taking the Z Train

km6xz km6xz

Is from: St Petersburg, RU
3967 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Taking the Z Train"

km6xz Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 16-Nov-20 04:45 PM
You will be pleasantly surprised that the Z cameras have far less dust issues than DSLR. There is anti-dust coating and the exposed sensor is easier to clean in the rare event that dust sticks.. Dust enters the cavity in a DSLR and even if the mirror in down, any dust particles floating in that cavity is likely to end up on the sensor due to static charge buildup from the reading the pixel cells. I have been shooting almost every day for 2 years and the only time I cleaned it was after getting sprayed by a crop duster. Even then,only 1 spot ended up on the sensor. In my daily walking around sling bad that is with me most of the time, I usually have the 24-70 f/4 S and 1 or 2 S primes,usually 85 1.8 and or 50 1.8, one Sb900 and a flash controller. I use that kit for causal and commercial work and Z6 with S lenses ( have the 14-30, 24 1.8, 35 1.8 50 1.8 85 1.8 and 24-70 2.8, plus 18 1.2, 1.4 F primes and 2.8 zooms.None of those F lenses get used anymore. The last one was an 85 1.4 Sigma ART on the D850 but the 85 1.8 is about the same in the very center but moving away from the center,all the S lenses trounce the F glass. The 50 is the sharpest lens I have ever used corner to corner regardless of brand and mount. The 50 and 85 handle strong backlight or or the sun in the frame better than any F glass. The 24-70 2.8 is slightly better than the low-cost light f/4 version so it stays home unless on a commercial shoot that needs 2.8. Both those S 24-70s are optically superior to the G and E F version. The E is very good in the center but falls off when moving off the center and the S lenses are great right to the edge.

Given that the performance of the S glass is so good, I suggest starting with the 24-70 f/4 and get used to the camera and hold off on other lenses for a while. I suspect you are going to see such a difference that your plan to use legacy glass will be questioned after a week of Z camera shooting. Like most users, their DSLRs gather dust after a few days of shooting with the body and an S lens or two. I am likely to dump all my DSLRs, and all the F glass and get the Z7 2 as the high res body for picky art directors. All my portraiture, theater, event, and 90% of my studio work is with the Z6 and S lenses. It has been that way since one week after getting the camera. I feel guilty for all my DSLRs and lenses are not being used, considering how long I saved and scraped by to get them.
Give it week of shooting before deciding to invest in any non-s or F mount lenses or keeping any F mount lenses. Another thing to consider if you need longer lenses, the 70-200 2.8 S is probably the best short zoom ever made by any company and when mated with the new teleconverters, there's almost no fall-off in resolution with even the 2.0x, unlike TCs of the past on F mount, so you would be covered to 400mm in Fx and 600mm in Dx crop. With the two pulse silent motors, it is fast focusing.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Taking the Z Train [View all] , DaveSoderlund Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest , Fri 23-Oct-20 01:54 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Taking the Z Train