Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Taking the Z Train

DaveSoderlund DaveSoderlund

Is from: Reno, US
1604 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Taking the Z Train"

DaveSoderlund Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 29th May 2010
Fri 23-Oct-20 08:30 PM | edited Fri 23-Oct-20 08:40 PM by DaveSoderlund
David,

I shot thousands of frames over 3 years on my D750, and that camera gave me some great images. I'm expecting sensor-level performance that is at least as good if not better with the Z6's new BSI 24 MP sensor.

I think the added sensor resolution of the D850 (or the Z7) is really important in two areas: extreme cropping (or using the DX crop feature in-camera) or printing really large. I've discovered over my three years with the D850 that neither of these is particularly important to me, and the user interface features that drew me to the D850 (touch screen LCD, focus shift shooting, focus peaking in Live View) are all available on the Zs. (For "reach" I have -- and will keep -- a D7500, which pairs well with my 80-400 for the rare occasions when I want a long telephoto kit.)

In terms of printing, I can print 16x20 and 16x24 on my Canon Pro-1000, and those sizes are large enough for the vast majority of what I want to print. The only larger print in my house is a 21x28 that I printed on a Canon Pro 2000 in Les Picker's studio during a printing workshop -- and that's a crop from a 24MP D750 file! My current view on printing large is that Topaz Gigapixel AI is a lot cheaper than the cost difference between 24.5 MP and a 45.7 MP sensor. Fortunately, Nikon chose to make the Z6 and Z7 virtually identical cameras except for the sensor, so choosing a Z6 doesn't mean missing out on any of the top end Z series goodies. (As an aside, I was sort of waiting for the next iteration of Z cameras before taking the plunge -- however, none of the new features of the Mark II cameras are important enough to me to make me drool.)

I'm interested to see what the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 lens does on the Z6. I think it might well be a compact, capable placeholder lens while I'm waiting for the Z lens picture to shake out. I'm hoping that the 24-85 will teach me how much I would really miss the extra reach of the 24-120. It might either push me toward the Z 24-70 f/4 or encourage me to wait for the mythical 24-105.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

This is a hot, active topic! Taking the Z Train [View all] , DaveSoderlund Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest , Fri 23-Oct-20 01:54 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Taking the Z Train