Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

"RE: Linux Operating System"

Sat 24-Sep-11 12:53 PM | edited Sat 24-Sep-11 12:54 PM by nrothschild
Another option for experimenting with Linux is to run it as a Virtual Machine. I use VirtualBox, which is a freeware Oracle product. In this configuration Linux runs as an application within Windows.

You can also set up Linux as the host ("bare metal") operating system and run windows as a Virtual Machine, or run multiple versions of Windows, FreeNAS (a free file server OS), etc., etc.

I think VirtualBox has some advantages over a dual boot because if you don't like it you can just delete the virtual drives, uninstall Vbox and you are back where you started. Also, you are then running Windows and Linux simultaneously with no need for constant rebooting. If you are not familiar with dual booting then it avoids a learning curve that, if not done correctly, can hose your operating system hard drive - I suspect far more easily than you might hose your OS running Vbox. I think it is also much easier to back up and restore Win OS drives using tools such as ShadoProtect or Acronis True Image (I use ShadowProtect) if they are unencumbered with dual boot configurations.

I like the idea of Linux because I have a lot of different machines and the cost of running windows can exceed the hardware cost unless you get into OEM versions which present their own problems once you start building your own boxes.

The problem with Linux is there are a few classes of users that simply cannot find adequate software and one of those classes is photographers. Linux shooters don't have many choices. They have Gimp, which is very similar to older versions of PhotoShop but it's not Photoshop with all the features that you see in the more recent versions. There are one or more raw converters but not CNX or Adobe Raw. I don't think there is anything equivalent to Photomechanic or Lightroom or a full blown image cataloger (I use iMatch, Win only).

I think the best application of Linux for a photographer is for a high performance file server. You can build a file server for about $300 that is arguably superior in terms of raw hardware power to an $800 Synology or equivalent pre-built NAS. And the pre-built NAS's all use the same Linux OS anyway. The difference, and what you are paying dearly for is that the pre-built NAS's come with a comprehensive set of OS and server applications that are fully supported by someone that took your money. With Linux you will assemble the same thing, to the extent you need the feature sets, from bits and pieces scrounged from the internet*.

Linux also has a very good Raid manager in the form of MDADM which is fast and expandable. The reliability will depend on your skill and daring since it's easy to kill a Linux Raid array of something goes wrong. It's never a smart idea to treat any Raid as "fail safe" and I think thit applies even more so to Linux simply because for most people it's a steep learning curve so user error gets added into the basket of things that can go wrong.

Linux Raid also has the advantage of being just about the the only Raid available today that is "supported" for cheap consumer level green and desktop drives. The only commercial Raid I know of that can run GP drives in a fully supported mode is the Drobo. That is a major cost issue since a set of four 2TB green drives will run you about $280 at today's prices but a comparable set of RE ("Raid") drives will run you $800. From a reliability point of view I'm not sure RE drives are any more reliable. You'd never know it reading user reviews on the net.

* - a wise Linux Ubuntu forum poster once said the following:

"Linux is only free if you place zero value on your time"

You might think that was said tongue in cheek but after playing with Linux quite a bit I'm not so sure . It's quite a learning curve for the typical Win user.
A general, generic topic Linux Operating System [View all] , User , Tue 20-Sep-11 03:06 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Linux Operating System