Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Z100-400 hood stuck

trutherfo trutherfo

Is from: Atlanta, US
54 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
trutherfo Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2014
Mon 22-Aug-22 06:18 PM
Help! I can't remove the lens hood on my new 100-400 and am afraid of damaging the lens if I use more force. Is it possible the hood is jammed? It looks like it's properly aligned...

Tom

aolander aolander

Is from: Nevis, US
5930 posts

#1. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 0

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006
Mon 22-Aug-22 06:44 PM
Do you have the button depressed?

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Alan

topper1946 topper1946

Is from: san antonio, US
2825 posts

#2. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 1

topper1946 Gold Member Ribbon awarded for for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2017 Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the 2019 Fundraising campaign Winner in the Best of Nikonians Photo Contest 2021 Nikonian since 06th Nov 2007
Mon 22-Aug-22 07:10 PM
I had the same problem when I tried to get the hood off the brand new lens. I did have the button pushed and it took a bit of pressure to get it off. I sometimes had a similar problem with the 80-400 but def not as tight as the 100-400.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

trutherfo trutherfo

54 posts

#3. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 1

trutherfo Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2014
Tue 23-Aug-22 02:38 PM
Thanks. I didn't see the release button. The Reference Manual wasn't shipped with the lens. Everything's fine now.

Tom

ericbowles ericbowles

17352 posts

#4. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 3

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landsc... Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 25-Aug-22 12:31 PM
The release button seems to be common on a number of Z lenses. Overall I think it's an improvement - the hoods are in much less danger of falling off.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery
Workshops and Private Instruction

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ExtraExtra

Is from: Concord, US
985 posts

#5. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 0

ExtraExtra Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2017
Thu 29-Dec-22 12:11 AM
I’m finding, in general, that the lens hoods for the Z lenses don’t operate very smoothly or consistently.
Some are on the loose side, some are so tight I worry about damaging the lens, and some don’t even really lock.
It’s very strange.
My hunch is that there’s very little variation in both hood size (injection molded) and lens barrel diameter (some for of machining). So I’m surprised they don’t play better.

Just something to get used to, I guess.

I wonder if others are finding this as well.
JonK JonK

Is from: Alexandria, US
9717 posts

#6. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 5

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife,... Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Thu 29-Dec-22 03:05 AM
Nope. Thus far my hoods fit, lock, and lock just fine.

Jon Kandel
An Alexandria, VA Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!
bhiggins bhiggins

Is from: New Jersey Transplant, US
6781 posts

#7. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 0

bhiggins Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas. Nikonian since 04th Jan 2015
Thu 29-Dec-22 03:41 AM
I have this issue with the 500 PF periodically for unknown reasons. I push/hold the button and jiggle the hood and that seems to work. That said I much prefer this design given those without the lock which are prone coming of with any type of twisting bump or friction.

Barry

See my portfolio.

Jivl Jivl

Is from: near Prague, CZ
152 posts

#8. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 0

Jivl Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011
Thu 29-Dec-22 04:25 AM
I had the same problem with the same lens. It is getting better now but in the beginning I needed really strong power for the removing...

ExtraExtra

985 posts

#9. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 29-Dec-22 06:27 PM
Barry,
Thanks for the helpful tip.
It takes patience and finesse, it seems, to get this hood on and off. But your technique definitely works.
I guess I just need to make sure I’m never in a position where I need the lens quickly.

Now if I can just figure out why the photos are soft with this lens and the Z TC1.4.
I took a few shots at 1/1000 @ f/8 (3D AF) from a tripod w/VR off) - and they’re soft focus.
I looked at them in NX Studio to verify the location of the focus point and it’s on the subject (a woodpecker)
But the bird isn’t close to sharp. Took another half dozen shots - same result.
This is discouraging - no where close to the 200-500 (the lens I sold yesterday…)
Haven’t tried it without the TC yet - that’ll be the next test. I’m just too far away from the bird in this setup.

…and I had such high hopes after all I’ve read about this lens…

- Ford
ericbowles ericbowles

17352 posts

#10. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 9

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landsc... Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 29-Dec-22 06:32 PM
I've had that happen before. Take the time to do some thoughtful testing with targets that are not moving, then graduate to more complicated tests. 1/1000 second is relatively slow for a bird. Often they quiver or move faster than it looks. While 3D works, it is more likely to miss or choose a target other than the one intended, so be sure to test using Single and Dynamic - which are more precise.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ExtraExtra

985 posts

#11. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 29-Dec-22 06:39 PM | edited Thu 29-Dec-22 10:17 PM by ExtraExtra
Thanks for the reply Eric.
I’ll give all of that a try - I’m not ready to give up quite yet. : )

It’s doubly frustrating because two days ago I took these same photos from the same spot with the same tripod and same camera settings (shutter speed, 3D, etc.) - except with the 200-500. And those were razor sharp. So the current results are very disappointing.

Forgot to add, the woodpecker was on a suet feeder - not the most artistic shot, but just a test. So the bird wasn’t really moving much…

I’ve had such great success with the 70-200/Z TC1.4 combo, I this this would be a snap…

Later update - now I’m noticing the lens can’t focus inside (think of your living room) at night. Even at 200mm zoom, I can’t get focus. It just hunts. I tried both settings in d9: View Mode and nothing.
ericbowles ericbowles

17352 posts

#12. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 04-Jan-23 07:04 PM
<Later update - now I’m noticing the lens can’t focus inside (think of your living room) at night. Even at 200mm zoom, I can’t get focus. It just hunts. I tried both settings in d9: View Mode and nothing.>

Keep in mind the camera needs contrast to find a subject and focus. Once focus is acquired, maintaining focus can be easier. Make sure your exposure is set properly - including raising the ISO if needed. Sometimes raising ISO seems to help focus.

If it is still really struggling with focus, switch to AFS, Single or Pinpoint, and Low Light AF. Low Light mode is quite good if needed - just slower to focus.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery

ExtraExtra

985 posts

#13. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 12

Thu 05-Jan-23 12:24 AM
Thanks Eric.
In hindsight, I think I may have been asking too much of the camera at that point.
I'll have to try that scenario again.

- Ford

“This little world is much smaller than we realize.”

Parfumeur Parfumeur

Is from: US
577 posts

#14. "RE: Z100-400 hood stuck" | In response to Reply # 4

Parfumeur Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2022
Thu 05-Jan-23 01:45 AM
I placed a dab of yellow puff paint on all the shade's release button.

Easy to see and feel due to the puff nature of the paint.

G