Learn more about the Nikon Z9 in this webinar with NPS Tech Rep Mark Cruz from Nikon >>> See the video

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out

txstone12 txstone12

Is from: Texas, US
2318 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Tue 11-Jan-22 04:50 PM
Jared Polin has a copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 S lens with built-in TC. He’s posted some photos to his Instagram account. Nikon is limiting what he can say for now as we might expect pre-announcement. He says he will take some photos with it, then provide a video. Nikon Rumors and others are now getting more confident that Nikon’s announcement of the lens is getting close.

https://nikonrumors.com/2022/01/11/jared-polin-has-the-nikon-nikkor-z-400mm-f-2-8-tc-vr-s-mirrorless-lens-for-z-mount.aspx/

David

Visit my SmugMug gallery

KnightPhoto KnightPhoto

Is from: Alberta, CA
5490 posts

#1. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Tue 11-Jan-22 09:28 PM
I like this idea of built-in 1.4 Teleconverters, I would love to have that ability to quickly "put it on or take it off".

For me this decision often arises quickly and I find myself shooting without it when I would prefer to stop and put it on but no time to do so. Vice-versa, there are times I don't have time to remove the teleconverter so I end up either backing up and/or using a higher ISO or slower shutter speed than I would like.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

tomlawone

Is from: Hayden, US
878 posts

#2. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 0

tomlawone Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Mar 2011
Wed 12-Jan-22 12:25 AM
His initial description for weight is "pretty light." That, and the price, may get me to spend more than I ever have before on any camera item. If Nikon sets a price as comparatively low as for the Z9 that I have on order, I will be a very happy Nikonian. Now if the integrated TC were a 1.7 instead of the 1.4, I would sell every lens I own from 300mm on up and forego the Z 800 f/6.3, probably not the best result for Nikon sales.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tomlawone

878 posts

#3. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 12-Jan-22 08:30 PM | edited Wed 12-Jan-22 08:36 PM by tomlawone
Watching the video, I am now wondering if the current Nikon 40.5mm circular polarizer will be used in this lens? Any ideas from the more knowledgeable? I am thinking that may be obsoleted for this lens. Also, can the Z 2.0 TC be used with or without the built-in 1.4?

jbloom jbloom

Is from: Wethersfield, US
8632 posts

#4. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 1

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always e... Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Thu 13-Jan-22 04:36 AM
Agreed. Of course, what I'd really like is to be able to switch the TC in and out via a camera button as my subject approaches or recedes. But I suppose that's asking too much.

It's a moot point for me, though, because I'm sure the sticker price will be more than I can justify spending.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

KnightPhoto KnightPhoto

5490 posts

#5. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 13-Jan-22 08:34 AM | edited Thu 13-Jan-22 08:40 AM by KnightPhoto
Yes a camera button to control it would be awesome! I think you should buy it Jon (LOL). Well my impression you have income from your sports shooting that could be justification and my impression a f/2.8 400mm is THE sports shooters tool. I used to have income from Theatre photography and used that to justify the many many purchases and upgrades I made from 2007-2017. Now that by choice I haven't been attempting to earn income, it really slowed me down in terms of what I could justify purchasing

Tom: based on what I've read at Nikon Rumors combining with external TCs is definitely possible and it uses some kind of new/different filter arrangement? I liked your comment about internally available TC17, what a great arrangement that would be!!!!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jbloom jbloom

8632 posts

#6. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 5

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always e... Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Thu 13-Jan-22 09:05 AM
I already have an F-mount 400/2.8, so the justification has to consider whether the Z 400/2.8 would provide enough additional capability to be worth buying. In purely economic terms, almost certainly not. But then there is the pleasure I'd gain from using it, so there's that!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

txstone12 txstone12

2318 posts

#7. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 0

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Thu 13-Jan-22 04:52 PM
Several interesting questions you're raising. We'll see if Jared's hands on time will offer any information. There's discussion in other forums about the capability of adding external TCs to this lens, as can be done with the Nikon AF-S 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 lens. OTOH, the Z TCs have a protruding front element that precludes stacking. Don't know if this will hold with the built-in. It looks like the external compatibility for the 180-400 is limited largely to the 1.4x TC before AF limitations for F-mount are encountered.

I was wondering too, what about a lens memory button rather than a camera button for activating the TC? Although in looking at the 180-400 TC, the 1.4 TC activation appears to be decidedly manual (unlock, move switch to activate, lock).

I am not a TC user presently, though I plan to order a Z 1.4x TC first, then a 2x later. (Particularly since Michelle Valberg is using a 2x TC with her Z9 and 100-400 ). I'm not a candidate for this lens, holding out for something in the 600mm range as largely a wildlife & bird shooter, only occasionally shooting sports. We'll hopefully be able to see examples of this lens in action at the Winter Olympics before long.

David

Visit my SmugMug gallery

Thuja

Is from: Victoria, CA
91 posts

#8. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 7

Thuja Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2012
Fri 14-Jan-22 12:07 PM
B & H pronounces that it will not be possible to add a TC to this lens.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1669888-REG/nikon_nikkor_z_400mm_f_2_8.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/qa

I am not sure why they are stating this when the lens is not yet available anywhere, unless they have an inside track. Even so, it is odd to pronounce on a lens not yet released.

txstone12 txstone12

2318 posts

#9. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 14-Jan-22 04:41 PM
Jared's preview video of the 'pre-production' 400mm f/2.8 TC lens out today.

There is a mystery "piano key" control ring. Jared says there are no VR controls on the lens, since VR is controlled in camera.

David

Visit my SmugMug gallery

txstone12 txstone12

2318 posts

#10. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 8

Fri 14-Jan-22 04:44 PM
Good to know - thank you for posting, Julian!

David

Visit my SmugMug gallery

Meprst Meprst

Is from: IL
200 posts

#11. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 0

Meprst Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2005
Fri 14-Jan-22 07:12 PM
Here is the Jareds' video

redent redent

Is from: Allen, US
119 posts

#12. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 0

redent Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Oct 2018
Fri 14-Jan-22 08:24 PM
That’s pretty cool.

KnightPhoto KnightPhoto

5490 posts

#13. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 11

Fri 14-Jan-22 09:07 PM | edited Fri 14-Jan-22 09:31 PM by KnightPhoto
Anyone care to comment or provide a brief synopsis of what Jared had to say?

Looking at that picture, when you put the hood on it, it's not that ugly, ha (sorry, guy in NikonRumors made a comment on the looks of this lens and I can't get that out of my mind)

I sure hope Nikon continues blazing a trail and makes the 600/4 with built in TC as well.

I still feel the better lens for me is to go straight to the 800/6.3, why mess around
(plus I fully intend to slap a TC14 on the 800mm when chasing small birds and shoot it in DX mode to boot, maybe one-button return to FX mode if needed occasionally)

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

tomlawone

878 posts

#14. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 14-Jan-22 09:39 PM | edited Sat 15-Jan-22 10:59 AM by tomlawone
Looking at Polin's photo of the lens, it appears the filter drawer is very close to the mount. The Z 2.0X TC has a very protruding front element. Could it be that the 2.0X TC's front element would enter the filter area? Boy, that would be a design mistake. If I could not have a 1.7X or 2.0X TC on the lens, I would not buy it. Check the photo of the lens on B&H. This question of an added TC w/o the internal one engaged has me looking at the 800 f/6.3

critidoc

Is from: Kingsville, US
469 posts

#15. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 14

critidoc Silver Member Awarded for his win at the Best of Nikonians 2016 Photo Contest Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007
Sat 15-Jan-22 05:46 AM | edited Sat 15-Jan-22 06:05 AM by critidoc
The AFs 180-400 F4 TC 1.4 accepts the 1.4 and 2.0 telecoverters externally as the filter cover site is located just proximal to the internal TC switch. Hopefully they do the same with the z400 2.8

Looking at Jared's video and the z 400 2,8 looks about the same size as my 180-400.

txstone12 txstone12

2318 posts

#16. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 15-Jan-22 03:32 PM
Whether you can add an external TC to this lens is being widely discussed. As Julian pointed out in his post above, B&H in their Q&A section on this lens says that it does not accept an external TC.

Both the Z 1.4 and 2.0 x TCs have protruding front elements and cannot be stacked, so this may be the case for this lens as well.

A curious feature of this lens is the ring with lined ridges (Jared called it the piano ring since the ridges look like piano keys). Has anyone seen any info on this ring?

David

Visit my SmugMug gallery

tomlawone

878 posts

#17. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 15-Jan-22 06:51 PM
Looking at other forums, most comments agree that the inability to take external TCs is a huge negative. Assuming this inability is correct, why wouldn't an internal 1.7X TC make more sense? 680mm is a much more useful jump from 400mm than 560mm for lots of wildlife photographers.

Thuja

Is from: Victoria, CA
91 posts

#18. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 17

Thuja Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2012
Sat 15-Jan-22 07:04 PM
It does seem likely to be a major design fault if true. It will be a very expensive lens with a lot less potential buyers if it is limited to the built in 1.4 tc. Time will tell. Maybe we will be happily surprised yet....

jbloom jbloom

8632 posts

#19. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 17

Sun 16-Jan-22 05:26 AM
I've always though of the 400/2.8 as primarily a sports lens more than a wildlife lens. But then, I shoot sports so I would think that, wouldn't I?

Anyway, for sports I'd rather have a 1.4 than a 1.7 TC. It's a better fit for the kind of subjects I need to cover.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

henbo henbo

Is from: Tistrup, DK
3839 posts

#20. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 7

henbo Gold Member Awarded for his win at the Best of Nikonians 2016 Photo Contest Ribbon awarded for his win at the Best of Nikonians 2017 Annual Photo Contest Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2004
Thu 20-Jan-22 11:04 AM | edited Thu 20-Jan-22 11:06 AM by henbo
I was wondering too, what about a lens memory button rather than a camera button for activating the TC? Although in looking at the 180-400 TC, the 1.4 TC activation appears to be decidedly manual (unlock, move switch to activate, lock).

When using the Nikkor 180-400mm with the build in teleconverter, I find the ergonomics of flicking the TC switch with my middle finger to be perfect for me. My hands are not big by any means.
I usually only lock the TC switch when not having the camera at the eye, so eg. during transportation. While shooting I keep it unlocked. In this way it is very fast to engage or disengage the teleconverter for me, and I definitely wouldn't want a lens memory button to engage the TC in my case.

Here is link from Nikon USA web page, where there is an image showing the engagement of the TC on 180-400:
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-nikkor-180-400mm-f%252f4e-tc1.4-fl-ed-vr.html

Henning

See my portfolio

My Nikonians gallery: | Landscape | | City & Architecture | Wildlife | Macro | Portrait | Sport
| Florida | Namibia | Danube Delta & Transylvania| Kenya | Iceland | Dolomites - Italy |
Helgoland | Hornborgasjön - Sweden | Cinque Terre & Garda | Provence | Rhein & Mosel | Greenland

KnightPhoto KnightPhoto

5490 posts

#21. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 20

Thu 20-Jan-22 11:10 AM
Great set of observations. I was definitely wondering about the ability to shoot it unlocked!
I would think most pros and advanced enthusiasts are going to prefer speed of ability to change on and off!! And one finger sounds great!

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

henbo henbo

3839 posts

#22. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 13

henbo Gold Member Awarded for his win at the Best of Nikonians 2016 Photo Contest Ribbon awarded for his win at the Best of Nikonians 2017 Annual Photo Contest Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2004
Thu 20-Jan-22 11:33 AM
One thing I noticed is how he lowered his hand to engage the switch of the teleconverter, which looked very odd to me.

Here are a couple of examples - which I found quite misleading on how to engage the TC. But then again - I'm probably biased because I'm not a fan of Jared Polin.

When engaging the TC on the 180-400 I found that lifting the middle finger from the grip and engaging the switch to be very easy, while still holding the AF-on button with my thumb and the shutter release with my index finger.

Henning

See my portfolio

My Nikonians gallery: | Landscape | | City & Architecture | Wildlife | Macro | Portrait | Sport
| Florida | Namibia | Danube Delta & Transylvania| Kenya | Iceland | Dolomites - Italy |
Helgoland | Hornborgasjön - Sweden | Cinque Terre & Garda | Provence | Rhein & Mosel | Greenland

henbo henbo

3839 posts

#23. "RE: A Copy of the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC Lens is Out" | In response to Reply # 21

Thu 20-Jan-22 11:50 AM | edited Thu 20-Jan-22 11:51 AM by henbo
I can't remember Nikons official recommendation about locking, but after using my 180-400 on safaris, boatrides etc. for a couple of years I have never had any problems with the TC. And it is a very distinct feel when it is engaged in one or the other position.

I came from the 200-400mm and the addition of the build-in TC in the 180-400 made a much bigger change for me than expected. It has basically been like having a 180-560mm with variable aperture (180-400 at f4 and 400-560 at f5.6).

It quickly (within hours not days) became second nature to me engaging the TC, and I'm normally a slow learner.

Henning

See my portfolio

G